User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What makes someone Men or Women?1557 days old

Last Online
    2018-06-15 @ 10:07
    Default What makes someone Men or Women?

With the trans-movement gaining full speed, I was wondering what is your take on what makes someone a man or a women? Do you think that one's body defines one's sex? Or is it feelings? What about cultural expectations about what a man or woman suppose to be like? For example, should an ex-marine and former power-lifter be consider a woman, because he says he is?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    2018-12-04 @ 07:13
    R1b-SRY 2627 - A7080
    mtDNA
    H5a1f
    Phenotype
    Archaic Nomenclature
    Politics
    Not a Fan
    GEDmatch
    M202348
    United States Germany Poland Poland Volhynia Switzerland Scotland

A better question to ask is what makes someone transgender?... one word ... confusion.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thetick For This Useful Post:

Janos (2015-07-24)

Last Online
    2018-06-15 @ 10:07

Quote Originally Posted by thetick View Post
    A better question to ask is what makes someone transgender?... one word ... confusion.
    But what it the cause of the confusion? Is it society's fault for having narrow definitions of what it means to be either sex? Or is the individual's fault for their perception of reality?

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-10-19 @ 04:06
    Q-M3
    mtDNA
    A2
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Phenotype
    Mestizo
    Religion
    Atheist
    United States Mexico

I remember reading an article that several transgender people actually have a hormone imbalance, which causes the confusion of their gender identity.

To be honest, I'm very ignorant when it comes to trans issues. That said, in my limited perspective, I see men and women being based off of both physical traits and the life experience they lived through as their outer appearance.

Ex. "Natural Born" Men/Women will experience hardships that society places on their respective sex, where a transgender person most likely reaped the benefits/consequences that their outer sex(appearance) gets, regardless of how they internally feel.
    Last edited by a_garcia49; 2015-07-18 at 05:39.
    "Living or dying, it's not a big deal. What we should be concerned about is whether or not we're allowed to crawl to our graves."

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a_garcia49 For This Useful Post:

DragonRouge (2015-07-24), TheMask (2015-07-18), thetick (2015-07-18)

Established Member
    Last Online
    R1b-SRY 2627 - A7080
    mtDNA
    H5a1f
    Phenotype
    Archaic Nomenclature
    Politics
    Not a Fan
    GEDmatch
    M202348

Quote Originally Posted by amigurumifox View Post
    But what it the cause of the confusion? Is it society's fault for having narrow definitions of what it means to be either sex? Or is the individual's fault for their perception of reality?
    It's obviously not a choice nor society's fault but variations during development.

A chemical imbalance that is very likely due to a fetus exposed to drastically different levels of hormones over certain periods of development in the womb. So one may look physically like one gender, but the brain due to different hormones developes the other gender.

I believe one can be born with transgenderism or homosexuality as they are both medical conditions involving chemical imbalances. The only role society plays is if and when these conditions are expressed by the individual.

Evidence points to this as homosexual males tend to have more older brothers. Higher testosterone variations have also been measured in women who have previously given birth to boys.
    Last edited by thetick; 2015-07-18 at 05:55.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thetick For This Useful Post:

a_garcia49 (2015-07-18), Pioterus (2015-07-18)

Last Online
    2015-07-18 @ 15:14

I consider a women someone who is biologically a women by DNA but also physically in that they have the sexual characteristics of a women that occurred naturally. A individual, such as a man that has gone through the process of transgenderism in order to try to change sex is basically almost like a eunuch to me. However ignorant that may sound to some people that is my stance on it. They are people with Identity disorders. Transgenders in my opinion need to stop trying to be considered a sex that they are not, They are their own sex, they are no longer males but in my eyes they are neither the sex they think they are trying to be.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Champion45 For This Useful Post:

OldPretan (2015-09-22), Shaquille (2015-07-18)

Established Member
    Last Online
    R1b-SRY 2627 - A7080
    mtDNA
    H5a1f
    Phenotype
    Archaic Nomenclature
    Politics
    Not a Fan
    GEDmatch
    M202348

Quote Originally Posted by Champion45 View Post
    I consider a women someone who is biologically a women by DNA but also physically in that they have the sexual characteristics of a women that occurred naturally.......Transgenders in my opinion need to stop trying to be considered a sex that they are not, They are their own sex, they are no longer males but in my eyes they are neither the sex they think they are trying to be.
    Well you are just wrong as DNA does NOT always determine the sex of an individual. Individuals with Swyer Syndrome have one X chromosome and one Y chromosome in each cell like a biological male, but have typical female external genitalia.
    See http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/swyer-syndrome

I totally disagree as transgenders and homosexuals are various degrees of being physically one sex and mentally the other.

Science has completely explained transgender and homosexuality. It's just such a very sensitive subject that the average person has not been educated.
    Last edited by thetick; 2015-07-18 at 15:34.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thetick For This Useful Post:

Pioterus (2015-07-18)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:58
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b2a1a1 (A2423+)
    mtDNA
    U3a1a(1)
    Race
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Politics
    laissez faire
    Religion
    Metalhead
    Poland Lithuania Grand Duchy

I think that if one looks for an answer, seeing at least two of these documentaries will be worthwhile.

These docs contains quite up-to-date scientific explanation to OP question:

”Gay/straight” - http://vimeo.com/19869748
    ”Sex” - http://vimeo.com/19921928
    and the IEEE Milestone for breaking the Enigma Code goes to... Polish Cipher Bureau 1932-39

“We know each other,” he agreed. “They say that you follow in my steps.”
    “I go my own way. But you, you had never, until just now, looked behind you. You turned back today for the first time.”
    Geralt remained silent. Tired, he had nothing to say. “How... How will it happen?” he asked her at last, coldly and without emotion. “I will take you by the hand,” she replied, looking him straight in the eye. “I will take you by the hand and lead you across the meadow, through a cold and wet fog.” “And after? What is there beyond the fog?” “Nothing,” she replied, smiling. “After that, there is nothing.”
    ― Andrzej Sapkowski
    Świat się zmienia, słońce zachodzi, a wódka się kończy [The world is changing, sun is setting and we're running out of Vodka.]
    ― Andrzej Sapkowski

Aspiring Programmer
    Last Online
    2016-08-10 @ 08:18
    Y-DNA
    I1a1b3
    mtDNA
    W3a1c
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Metaethnos
    Anglosphere
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Politics
    Transhumanist Party
    Religion
    Agnostic
    United States United Kingdom Commonwealth

There is some confusion about what transgendered people are trying to accomplish. They're not trying to change their chromosomes or insisting that they're the same as someone who is biologically/genetically female.

What they're instead claiming is that the male sexual characteristics and social roles they were born into cause them severe psychological and physiological discomfort. So they want to take Estrogen, have their genitalia modified, and take on the social role of being a woman. They would still technically be male, but they would be women... assuming we define male/female to be biological sex while man/woman is the social role and identity.

Basically, instead of just having male men and female women, we could now have male women and female men. If that makes sense.

To be honest, I know a lot about this because I want to be a woman myself, and I've felt that way since I was about 7 years old. But I'm luckier than a lot of people like me because my sex drive is practically nonexistent. The thing that drives most transgendered people to kill themselves if they can't act out their desires is having a normal level of drive to have sex, but having to deal with not having the right... equipment to make it satisfying and not feel completely wrong. That's honestly a very good thing in my case, because I can't even get aroused without feeling incredibly nauseous and sneezing. I generally prefer to wear briefs and pull my pants up to my belly button like an old man, because without... support, I feel like my guts are hanging out down there. It's extremely disorienting and uncomfortable.

However, what's worth noting is that I've chosen not to act on these feelings. I don't want to allow myself to be ruled by biology, sexuality, or some hormone issue that may have resulted from my premature birth. I want to be a respected scientist, working towards creating artificial intelligence, extending the human lifespan, as well as the genetic enhancement and technological augmentation of humanity. Men generally get more respect in science, so I know that if I want to be taken seriously, I'm better off the way I am. On top of that, I have Asperger's Syndrome and don't really have the level of social skills or empathy I would need in order to deal well with society as a woman. I'm barely functioning socially as a man with the advantages that brings, so I don't exactly need the difficulty dialed up. The kind of geekiness/eccentricity these traits create is better accepted among men.

So, the reality is very complicated, and people make various choices about how to deal with this. Mine has essentially been to forsake romance, self-expression, and relationships in order to achieve material security, social acceptance, and a good career allows me brings society closer to my ideals. My attitude is that by not wasting my thoughts and energy on a romantic partner and having so much mental space free for creativity and research, I'll be able to achieve more than most human beings who are constantly distracted by having children, trying to get sexual intercourse, and whether their partner is angry with them.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to C-3PO For This Useful Post:

a_garcia49 (2015-07-19), DragonRouge (2015-07-24), pgbk87 (2015-07-24), Pioterus (2015-07-18), thetick (2015-07-18)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    2018-11-06 @ 01:57
    Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Argentinian
    Phenotype
    Atlanto-Mediterranean
    Politics
    distributionism
    Religion