@
    Y-DNA
    E-V32
    mtDNA
    N1a
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Somalia Ethiopia Eritrea Djibouti

There are linguistic, historical and archaeological signs as well as more overt/ obvious signs (Somalis, Boranas & Rendilles in Kenya) that there were definitely some East Cushitic incursions into Southeast Africa that may have ultimately left some genetic impact. I actually plan on touching on this just a little bit on my blog-> that not everything "Cushitic" in Southeast Africa should be perceived to be 100% South Cushitic.

Given the Maasai and/or Datog and such in various runs (Eurogenes K13, Harappaworld, MDLP); it seems that their South Cushitic predecessors lacked more Mediterranean or Caucasian like affinities so if anyone in Southeast Africa keeps showing either Med or Caucasus; I think it maybe a good sign that this is proof of more recent ancestry from the Horn, likely of East Cushitic origins/ from something perhaps very genetically similar or identical to Somalis.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Awale For This Useful Post:

Gihanga_Rwanda (2015-08-03), Iron Hand (2015-08-03), KING OF KUSH (2018-06-09), Lol_Race (2015-08-03), Pat11 (2019-03-10), pgbk87 (2015-08-04)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    E1b1b1a1a2
    mtDNA
    T1a8b

It's too bad this can't be analyzed more certainly, all because of the calculator effect. It might turn out to be noise in the end.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lol_Race For This Useful Post:

Awale (2015-08-03), Ether (2015-08-03)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2019-09-27 @ 16:44
    E1b1a7a
    mtDNA
    L0a2d
    Race
    Sub-Saharan African
    Metaethnos
    Banyarwanda
    Ethnicity
    Tutsi
    Politics
    conservative Democrat
    Religion
    Catholic
    Rwanda United States

I find this quote from the Human Rights Watch publication "Leave None to Tell the Story" very interesting...

"Most people married within the occupational group in which they had been raised. This practice created a shared gene pool within each group, which meant that over generations pastoralists came to look more like other pastoralists—tall, thin and narrow-featured—and cultivators like other cultivators—shorter, stronger, and with broader features. Within each group there were also sub-groups, the result of some distant common ancestry or of more recent patterns of marriage. Thus among pastoralists, some whose ancestors had arrived centuries ago were distinctly shorter, plumper, and redder-skinned than the taller and blacker-skinned descendants of nineteenth-century immigrants. Cultivators, who were relatively sedentary and chose mates from areas close to home, often exhibited traits characteristic of their places of origin: those from the south, for example, were generally shorter and slighter than those from the north central region."

http://www.hrw.org/reports/1999/rwanda/Geno1-3-09.htm

I never paid much attention to this quote until now, but could this possibly explain mine and the Hema's results? One can imagine the earlier wave of pastoralists as South Cushitic speakers, and the later immigrants that they assimilated as East Cushitic speakers.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    E-V32
    mtDNA
    N1a
    Ethnicity
    Somali

Quote Originally Posted by Lol_Race View Post
    I don't remember where, but I recall seeing a run where Datog along with Ari were the most anti-Caucasian (or it might have been Med), more so than Somalis.
    What's weird here though is that Gihanga-man doesn't show any Mediterranean in Harappaworld but indeed about as much Caucasian as me:

E-African: 53.62
    SW-Asian: 28.89
    Mediterranean: 6.11
    W-African: 5.55
    Caucasian: 2.39
    San: 1.93

Why not show Med-> it's much more prevalent in me and other Somalis than Caucasian ever is. Same odd situation with the Hema and their somewhat negligible 1% Caucasian. Why on Earth not Med as well or instead?

But then Gihanga does basically show Mediterranean in other calculators (K13 and the Hunter Vs. Farmer calc) which is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lol_Race View Post
    It's too bad this can't be analyzed more certainly, all because of the calculator effect. It might turn out to be noise in the end.
    Indeed.
    Last edited by Awale; 2015-08-03 at 20:29.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Awale For This Useful Post:

Lol_Race (2015-08-03)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    E1b1a7a
    mtDNA
    L0a2d
    Race
    Sub-Saharan African
    Metaethnos
    Banyarwanda
    Ethnicity
    Tutsi
    Politics
    conservative Democrat
    Religion
    Catholic
    Rwanda United States

But how did these East Cushitic immigrants reach the southern Greak Lakes while bypassing central Kenya/northern Tanzania?

How do the Datog score on some of these Gedmath runs?
    Last edited by Gihanga_Rwanda; 2015-08-03 at 20:32.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    E-V32
    mtDNA
    N1a
    Ethnicity
    Somali

Quote Originally Posted by Gihanga_Rwanda View Post
    But how did these East Cushitic immigrants reach the southern Greak Lakes while bypassing central Kenya/northern Tanzania.
    Perhaps they honestly didn't. If you look into Mbugu for example which seems more East Cushitic than South Cushitic from what I've seen so far-> it's found in Northeastern Tanzania.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Awale For This Useful Post:

KING OF KUSH (2018-06-09), Mheshimiwa (2015-08-03)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Cultural Conservatism

But how did these East Cushitic immigrants reach the southern Greak Lakes while bypassing central Kenya/northern Tanzania?

Central Kenya is way more East Cushitic than any part of the Great lakes or Northern Tanzania, which is quite obvious since Isiolo (the most central spot in Kenya) is the ethnic center of the Kenyan Borana. I thought I made this clear in previous posts. Maybe what I failed to mention is that Kikuyus/Merus share Mt. Kenya with Boranas. The Northern, Eastern & Western bases of Mt. Kenya are populated by a mix of Borana/Kikuyus/Merus with Boranas being the majority in the Northern base. And Yaaku are only found in the Central Kenyan highlands. Samburu live abit further North. All these groups have heavily inter-married with each other for many years.

Spoiler: 
    Last edited by Mheshimiwa; 2015-08-03 at 21:47.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mheshimiwa For This Useful Post:

Ether (2015-08-03), Gihanga_Rwanda (2015-08-03), Karey (2018-06-15), KING OF KUSH (2018-06-09)

Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    E1b1b1a1a2
    mtDNA
    T1a8b

Unfortunately, they are from a dataset (also with a few Kikuyu SNP samples) not often used in these runs. IIRC they are only in a few MDLP runs and plots from Eurogenes.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lol_Race For This Useful Post:

Awale (2015-08-03), Gihanga_Rwanda (2015-08-03), Mheshimiwa (2015-08-03)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    E1b1a7a
    mtDNA
    L0a2d
    Race
    Sub-Saharan African
    Metaethnos
    Banyarwanda
    Ethnicity
    Tutsi
    Politics
    conservative Democrat
    Religion
    Catholic
    Rwanda United States

I find this quote from the Human Rights Watch publication "Leave None to Tell the Story" very interesting...

"Most people married within the occupational group in which they had been raised. This practice created a shared gene pool within each group, which meant that over generations pastoralists came to look more like other pastoralists—tall, thin and narrow-featured—and cultivators like other cultivators—shorter, stronger, and with broader features. Within each group there were also sub-groups, the result of some distant common ancestry or of more recent patterns of marriage. Thus among pastoralists, some whose ancestors had arrived centuries ago were distinctly shorter, plumper, and redder-skinned than the taller and blacker-skinned descendants of nineteenth-century immigrants. Cultivators, who were relatively sedentary and chose mates from areas close to home, often exhibited traits characteristic of their places of origin: those from the south, for example, were generally shorter and slighter than those from the north central region."

http://www.hrw.org/reports/1999/rwanda/Geno1-3-09.htm

I never paid much attention to this quote until now, but could this possibly explain mine and the Hema's results? One can imagine the earlier wave of pastoralists as South Cushitic speakers, and the later immigrants that they assimilated as East Cushitic speakers.
    BTW, the pastoralist this quote is referring to our Tutsis, cultivators Hutu.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gihanga_Rwanda For This Useful Post:

Awale (2015-08-03)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Cultural Conservatism

By the way, although Boranas are the majority in Isiolo district, Isiolo Town specifically has very strong Somali ties.

Isiolo is a town that lies 285 kilometres north of Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya. Much of the population being descended from former Somali soldiers who had fought in World War I as well as other Cushitic-speaking pastoral communities and the Ameru community. With scenic beauty of hills surrounding the town and including an eclectic mix of peoples and cultures, Isiolo is home to the Cushitic-speaking Rendille and Boran, Niger–Congo and Nilo-Saharan-speaking Ameru, Samburu and Turkana.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mheshimiwa For This Useful Post:

Awale (2015-08-03)

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast