Europid
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Politics
    Shmuley Poley
    Religion
    anonymous Cathoholics
    Germany Bavaria Holy Roman Empire

Recently on German TV, Frans Timmermans, a candidate for the Presidency of the European Commission, said that "Islam already belongs to Europe since two thousand years". And the people in the TV-studio even applauded this moronic statement (Islam is only about 1,400 years old).

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garibald For This Useful Post:

DracoSentien (2019-05-18), Ozrage (2019-05-18)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Last Online
    Today @ 12:40
    E-V32
    mtDNA
    L3i2

Islam is really not that different that different scripturally from other Abrahamic religions like Christianity and Judaism. Of course if followers of those other religions had literal interpretations and extreme nationalistic views, then you'd have the same result.

I disagree with the notion that Islam belongs to Europe, but at the same time I find it baffling that European nationalists that pride themselves on being more intellectual have almost no knowledge about Islam and an embarrassingly bad grasp on historical context.

Evolutionary Biologist DracoSentien's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:31
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    Queen Victoria's H
    Race
    Caucasian
    Metaethnos
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Cornwall England
    Phenotype
    Western U.K.
    Politics
    Tory
    Religion
    Anglican
    United States United Kingdom Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by montgomerypicking View Post
    Islam is really not that different that different scripturally from other Abrahamic religions like Christianity and Judaism. Of course if followers of those other religions had literal interpretations and extreme nationalistic views, then you'd have the same result.

I disagree with the notion that Islam belongs to Europe, but at the same time I find it baffling that European nationalists that pride themselves on being more intellectual have almost no knowledge about Islam and an embarrassingly bad grasp on historical context.
    Really, the only good thing to come out of Islam, in Europe, in olden days was they brought some architecture and advanced medical practices for the time to Spain. I don't really give a shit about Spain because Britain, Germany and France totally eclipse it historically in the achievements in the arts and sciences. The positive stuff to Spain was because medeival Europe was shrugging off the dark ages brought about by Christian feudalism. The problem with modern Islamic nations is they never went through like a French Enlightenment era. Chalres Martel was vindicated ! Extreme orthodox and literal bible thumpists are a minority in Western nations now. A vocal minority but a minority. I think God and Gods have a higher chance of existing mathematically than atheism but I think it is obvious that all religions are man-made. I think Religion can be good for children like Santa Claus and Easter Bunny it keeps them on track but I threw off the training wheels many years ago.

There are dozens, and perhaps even hundreds or thousands of religions, all of which claim to be 'absolutely true', and all of which contradict one another in fundamental ways. The only reasonable conclusion that can be drawn from this is that all of them are absolutely false. In recognizing the above facts, those of an ecuminist bent have argued that, while all religions are probably false in some ways, the fact that all (or at least most) have the same core beliefs about God and morality imply that the true religion is constituted of these core beliefs. While this argument has a superficial appeal, it does not in fact prove the truth of the core beliefs, but only -- at most -- their usefulness: It proves that human beings are similar in the basic moral rules and mental props (god-belief) needed for a stable society.

I would say Islamic nations take their religion more seriously on the whole and they are stuck in medeival times.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:40
    E-V32
    mtDNA
    L3i2

Quote Originally Posted by DracoSentien View Post
    Really, the only good thing to come out of Islam, in Europe, in olden days was they brought some architecture and advanced medical practices for the time to Spain. I don't really give a shit about Spain because Britain, Germany and France totally eclipse it historically in the achievements in the arts and sciences. The positive stuff to Spain was because medeival Europe was shrugging off the dark ages brought about by Christian feudalism. The problem with modern Islamic nations is they never went through like a French Enlightenment era. Chalres Martel was vindicated ! Extreme orthodox and literal bible thumpists are a minority in Western nations now. A vocal minority but a minority. I think God and Gods have a higher chance of existing mathematically than atheism but I think it is obvious that all religions are man-made. I think Religion can be good for children like Santa Claus and Easter Bunny it keeps them on track but I threw off the training wheels many years ago.

There are dozens, and perhaps even hundreds or thousands of religions, all of which claim to be 'absolutely true', and all of which contradict one another in fundamental ways. The only reasonable conclusion that can be drawn from this is that all of them are absolutely false. In recognizing the above facts, those of an ecuminist bent have argued that, while all religions are probably false in some ways, the fact that all (or at least most) have the same core beliefs about God and morality imply that the true religion is constituted of these core beliefs. While this argument has a superficial appeal, it does not in fact prove the truth of the core beliefs, but only -- at most -- their usefulness: It proves that human beings are similar in the basic moral rules and mental props (god-belief) needed for a stable society.

I would say Islamic nations take their religion more seriously on the whole and they are stuck in medeival times.
    Sure but my point is if everyone took their religion more seriously they'd be stuck in the past, so what's so unique about Islam?

The fault clearly lies with its followers rather than the religion itself.

Evolutionary Biologist DracoSentien's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:31
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    Queen Victoria's H
    Race
    Caucasian
    Metaethnos
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Cornwall England
    Phenotype
    Western U.K.
    Politics
    Tory
    Religion
    Anglican
    United States United Kingdom Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by montgomerypicking View Post
    Sure but my point is if everyone took their religion more seriously they'd be stuck in the past, so what's so unique about Islam?

The fault clearly lies with its followers rather than the religion itself.
    The IQ of Arabs is not particulary high so they are comfortable living in the stone age (hyperbole) or the very least with a medeival barbaric religion. There was megastudy of an aggregate of like about 58 scientific studies showing the higher the IQ the least likely a person is to religious. My religion is just part of my culture to me and coming back to it is a reaction against muslim influx.
    Last edited by DracoSentien; 2019-05-19 at 04:30.

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35