User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Results 51 to 55 of 55

Thread: Genealogy vs Genetics786 days old

  1. #51
    QBS Banned
    12/17/2012-12/17/2017: 5 years RIP
    Last Online
    2017-12-18 @ 00:05
    Join Date
    2012-12-18
    Posts
    718
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blodeuwedd View Post
    We're going to have to take up a Christmas collection for a DNA kit for poor Auduid so that he can crawl out of the Stone Age.
    I've asked before and I'll ask again: What testing services are the best and for what? Pros and cons of each? Is it recommended to try them all and compare for consistency and variation? I'm not interested in health options, only ancestry. I'm familiar with Y-DNA and mtDNA, but what about the rest of a person's genetic material? The genealogical antecedent of this model is the Ahnentafel, which shows paternal and maternal lines straight back, but avoids all the rest of one's family tree. I see that our profiles can be filled with Y-DNA and mtDNA, but the overall perspective of a person's full life in proper context, can only be made sense of through a full profile.

    I got before the Revolution in my Ahnentafel and that was pretty much my only realistic goal when I started. I know both of my Y-DNA (early 17th century, but after the Revolution) and mtDNA (late 18th century, but before the Revolution) go back to Britain, that my other genetic material goes back to Ireland after the Revolution through NYC and Philadelphia, Germany through Pennsylvania and Holland through New York before the Revolution, France through Canada after the Revolution. I haven't studied where else their ancestors came from in Europe before, other than France via England and Austria via Germany, along with some royal lineages and don't feel like following them--I'd rather just research commoners. I know that the total genetic material makes me and would come up in the results as some percentage or other all across Europe. Am I in denial, for being classist against known aristocratic ancestors--yeah, don't bring out the guillotine, all right? My wife has Waldensian (Protestant) Lombard ancestry via French from Geneva in Switzerland, which went to Virginia. That's the most exotic I've seen making the trans-Atlantic crossing in her side of our family. I've also traced her lineage to Tudor aristocracy, but haven't looked at it in maybe 5 years because it's so time-consuming.

  2. #52
    Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist Blodeuwedd's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2012-08-01
    Posts
    1,107
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 (dad's)
    mtDNA
    H
    Race
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic Southron
    Politics
    Volkish/Traditionalist
    Religion
    Anglican/Orthodox

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auduid View Post
    I've asked before and I'll ask again: What testing services are the best and for what? Pros and cons of each? Is it recommended to try them all and compare for consistency and variation? I'm not interested in health options, only ancestry. I'm familiar with Y-DNA and mtDNA, but what about the rest of a person's genetic material? The genealogical antecedent of this model is the Ahnentafel, which shows paternal and maternal lines straight back, but avoids all the rest of one's family tree. I see that our profiles can be filled with Y-DNA and mtDNA, but the overall perspective of a person's full life in proper context, can only be made sense of through a full profile.

    I got before the Revolution in my Ahnentafel and that was pretty much my only realistic goal when I started. I know both of my Y-DNA (early 17th century, but after the Revolution) and mtDNA (late 18th century, but before the Revolution) go back to Britain, that my other genetic material goes back to Ireland after the Revolution through NYC and Philadelphia, Germany through Pennsylvania and Holland through New York before the Revolution, France through Canada after the Revolution. I haven't studied where else their ancestors came from in Europe before, other than France via England and Austria via Germany, along with some royal lineages and don't feel like following them--I'd rather just research commoners. I know that the total genetic material makes me and would come up in the results as some percentage or other all across Europe. Am I in denial, for being classist against known aristocratic ancestors--yeah, don't bring out the guillotine, all right? My wife has Waldensian (Protestant) Lombard ancestry via French from Geneva in Switzerland, which went to Virginia. That's the most exotic I've seen making the trans-Atlantic crossing in her side of our family. I've also traced her lineage to Tudor aristocracy, but haven't looked at it in maybe 5 years because it's so time-consuming.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blodeuwedd For This Useful Post:

    EliasAlucard (2017-12-17), Silesian (2017-12-16)

  4. #53
    Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2009-10-22
    Posts
    13,355
    Location
    Sweden
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ancestryfan1994 View Post
    I think Elias (guy who runs this forum) did just that if i recall correctly, prior to genetics he was Lebanese, and after he realized there was much more to him, I now get the vibe that he strongly sees himself as an Assyrian.
    Actually I knew I was Assyrian before doing genetics testing. I just wasn't sure how much Assyrian I was, or if Assyrians were still intact as a genetic group 2,600 years after the fall of Nineveh (it's still difficult to grasp). Thing is, my family isn't ethnocentric so no one told me much about our background; I was under the impression that I was a Lebanese Christian until I turned 20 or so. I did 23andMe in 2009, still wasn't sure how Assyrian I was at that point.

    After I did 23andMe and especially with Dodecad, Eurogenes, GEDmatch and so on, it became clear that my ancestry really is Assyrian.

    I've never identified as an Arab though (in my childhood I had no idea who Arabs were), I did however, reject this nonsensical pan-Arab identity as early as 1996, which is when I did a project at school about Lebanon, and at the age of 11, I blamed the Lebanese civil war on Muslims and equated Arab identity with Islam; I didn't really know anything about language shifts, Arabization, elite dominance and stuff like that or population genetics for that matter, it just seemed obvious even back then with the limited information I had (this was almost pre-internet; I had very limited internet access at the time, and it's not like there were forums or Wikipedia to discuss topics like these), that Arab identity came with Islam, and that MENA Christians weren't Arabs. So, me rejecting the Lebanese identity and reverting back to my real ethnic roots, is simply taking it one step further.

    I believe one should base one's identity on the most up to date knowledge. So for example, if they test Assyrian ancient DNA skeletons tomorrow, and it turns out that the ancient Assyrians were most similar to modern Georgians and that we Assyrians are basically the descendants of the 12 lost tribes of Israel who were deported to Mesopotamia and mixed with non-Assyrian locals and later converted to Christianity, well, I guess I have to update/revise my identity then But granted, that's an unlikely scenario. Even so, one shouldn't be dogmatic about one's ancestry.

    Quote Originally Posted by Auduid View Post
    That's not really the problem. I already said that I know about other influences. I am staying focused by not confusing myself with anything off the radar. I admit I have recent Celtic (Ireland) and Romance (Canada) ancestors in addition to Germanic. In all likelihood, I too also have Uralic and Balto-Slavic over 1,000 years ago. It is not altogether clear how seriously I should look at royal ancestors from other countries, but they are rather negligible contribution to my DNA compared with the vast amount of common blood I have from my own acknowledged background, that I was raised to identify with. What is the worth of some Greek or Armenian prince or princess during the Crusades? It's probably there, or not, and I don't give a rat's arse either way. It doesn't have any real bearing upon me.
    Look, no one cares about what you think about your ancestry and your identity crisis in general. Either go get yourself tested or shut the hell up about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Auduid View Post
    My sense of identitarianism is not in the same vein as Elias's.
    Obviously not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Auduid View Post
    My forum background is much the same as many others who used to be on here, notably Loki's crowd. I am a relic of Skadi, TheNordishPortal, and Apricity, etc.
    Yeah, that's the iDiot crowd.
    Last edited by EliasAlucard; 2017-12-17 at 14:27.
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

    “A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

    “Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

    “The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

    “Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

    Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EliasAlucard For This Useful Post:

    ancestryfan1994 (2017-12-18), Targum (2017-12-17)

  6. #54
    QBS Banned
    12/17/2012-12/17/2017: 5 years RIP
    Last Online
    2017-12-18 @ 00:05
    Join Date
    2012-12-18
    Posts
    718
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blodeuwedd View Post


    Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    Actually I knew I was Assyrian before doing genetics testing. I just wasn't sure how much Assyrian I was, or if Assyrians were still intact as a genetic group 2,600 years after the fall of Nineveh (it's still difficult to grasp). Thing is, my family isn't ethnocentric so no one told me much about our background; I was under the impression that I was a Lebanese Christian until I turned 20 or so. I did 23andMe in 2009, still wasn't sure how Assyrian I was at that point.

    After I did 23andMe and especially with Dodecad, Eurogenes, GEDmatch and so on, it became clear that my ancestry really is Assyrian.

    I've never identified as an Arab though (in my childhood I had no idea who Arabs were), I did however, reject this nonsensical pan-Arab identity as early as 1996, which is when I did a project at school about Lebanon, and at the age of 11, I blamed the Lebanese civil war on Muslims and equated Arab identity with Islam; I didn't really know anything about language shifts, Arabization, elite dominance and stuff like I that or population genetics for that matter, it just seemed obvious even back then with the limited information I had (this was almost pre-internet; I had very limited internet access at the time, and it's not like there were forums or Wikipedia to discuss topics like these), that Arab identity came with Islam, and that MENA Christians weren't Arabs. So, me rejecting the Lebanese identity and reverting back to my real ethnic roots, is simply taking it one step further.

    I believe one should base one's identity on the most up to date knowledge. So for example, if they test Assyrian ancient DNA skeletons tomorrow, and it turns out that the ancient Assyrians were most similar to modern Georgians and that we Assyrians are basically the descendants of the 12 lost tribes of Israel who were deported to Mesopotamia and mixed with non-Assyrian locals and later converted to Christianity, well, I guess I have to update/revise my identity then But granted, that's an unlikely scenario. Even so, one shouldn't be dogmatic about one's ancestry.

    Look, no one cares about what you think about your ancestry and your identity crisis in general. Either go get yourself tested or shut the hell up about it.

    Obviously not.

    Yeah, that's the iDiot crowd.

  7. #55
    Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2009-10-22
    Posts
    13,355
    Location
    Sweden
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

    Default

    Well it's not really self-deception in my case. Also, Meat Loaf can't sing and he ruined most of Jim Steinman's classics.

    Anyway, why do care about which genetics company has the best service if you're not going to test yourself?
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

    “A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

    “Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

    “The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

    “Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

    Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Similar Threads

  1. How much do you know of your genealogy?
    By amerinese in forum Genealogy
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 2017-11-08, 23:19
  2. Filipino Genealogy
    By simple in forum Genealogy
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 2017-10-12, 09:23
  3. Puerto rican genetics vs Mexican genetics
    By Jake the snake in forum Recycle Bin
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2014-03-16, 14:34
  4. My Genetic Genealogy
    By FeistyGermanGhost in forum Member Results
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 2012-07-07, 19:34
  5. Which Genealogy Test kit?
    By 5Percent in forum Genealogy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2011-04-28, 02:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
<