Phenotype
    Boreal
    Politics
    bottom right quadrant
    Religion
    property is freedom
    England Northern Ireland Norway Sweden Finland Sami

Quote Originally Posted by Gooding View Post
    They were right. What resource is inexhaustible? Off that, I wonder, were the Picts freckled, red- headed folk who lobstered easily in the sun ( like me), or were they more of a darker, Atlantid sort ( like a couple of my cousins on the McDonald side)? The Bairds were the redheads in the family. My grandfather's maternal side was also the Scots- Irish side( straight back, I mean. The McDonalds of Scotland seemed to have married into Scots- Irish families almost as soon as they got here. The Cox family, the Lawson family, part of the Cecil family and the Baird family all contributed DNA.
    looks like it. BTW I1 & I2 in the Islands most likely arrived in the iron age (together with R1a) rather than predating the early bronze R1b12a* majority as a post glacial relic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caledonians
    Tacitus in his Agricola, chapter XI (c. 98 AD) described the Caledonians as red haired and large limbed, which he considered features of Germanic origin: “The reddish (rutilae) hair and large limbs of the Caledonians proclaim a German origin”. Jordanes in his Getica wrote something similar:

...The inhabitants of Caledonia have reddish hair and large loose-jointed bodies.[7]

Eumenius, the panegyrist of Constantine Chlorus, wrote that both the Picts and Caledonians were red haired (rutilantia).[8] Scholars such as William Forbes Skene noted that this description matches Tacitus' description of the Caledonians as red haired in his Agricola.[9]
    Quote Originally Posted by mary
    There was no poverty in the Soviet time. It was only in the 80's that it started to happen due to incompetent leadership. People in the Soviet Union lived better than Americans do today.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OldPretan For This Useful Post:

Gooding (2016-08-17)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Winter is coming
    Last Online
    2017-03-12 @ 03:51
    Y-DNA
    I1 M170+, M253+
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Race
    Europid
    Phenotype
    Nordid
    Metaethnos
    Northwestern European
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Phenotype
    Kelto- Brunn
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Lutheran ( LC-MS)
    GEDmatch
    M372705, A009270
    United States England Scotland France fleur de lis Occitania Holy Roman Empire

Quote Originally Posted by OldPretan View Post
    looks like it. BTW I1 & I2 in the Islands most likely arrived in the iron age (together with R1a) rather than predating the early bronze R1b12a* majority as a post glacial relic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caledonians
    That's interesting. Thanks for the link! My cousin on the McDonald side who got his DNA tested belongs to this branch of the McDonalds:
    This group is part of L21 and is a subset of the CTS11722 Olive-Black group. Oral histories plus the fact that two members currently reside in Glenmoriston indicate that this group originated from Glenmoriston after 1395 and previously would have resided with the Lord of the Isles at Ardtornish Castle They descend from Iain Ruadh, hereditary body guard to the Lords of the Isles. Iain Ruadh’s descendants exchanged undershirts with the Lord of the Isles as he passed from Ardtornish to Dingwall during the late period of the Lordship. The exchange of gifts indicated the close relationship between the families. Comparisons of DNA results with the Chiefs of the MacGregors, MacRaes, and McCoys strongly support common descent from Gregor, third in line after Kenneth McAlpin in the dalriadic king line around 880 AD. This common descent from Gregor also appears to apply to a number of persons in the olive black group and the red black group. Persons in those groups need to take the appropriate SNP test to be moved into pale violet black. http://www.clan-donald-usa.org/index.php/dna-results My cousin's line reads as R1b1a2a1a2b4. My I1, coming as it does from my father's side, is most likely an Anglo- Saxon standard. For all that, the Goodings from my great- great grandfather back all seemed to be proper Germanic blondes ( if the black and white photo of old John can be trusted), while from my great- grandfather up, they seem to have had dark brown/ black hair.
    Last edited by Gooding; 2016-08-17 at 19:58.

Established Member
    Infidel Snowman 2.8% Neanderthal
    Last Online
    2019-06-14 @ 21:30
    Y-DNA
    N1c1*
    mtDNA
    H4a1
    Race
    Europid
    Phenotype
    Lappid
    Metaethnos
    Reindeer follower
    Ethnicity
    Shellfish gatherer
    Phenotype
    Boreal
    Politics
    bottom right quadrant
    Religion
    property is freedom
    England Northern Ireland Norway Sweden Finland Sami

Quote Originally Posted by Gooding View Post
    That's interesting. Thanks for the link! My cousin on the McDonald side who got his DNA tested belongs to this branch of the McDonalds:
    This group is part of L21 and is a subset of the CTS11722 Olive-Black group. Oral histories plus the fact that two members currently reside in Glenmoriston indicate that this group originated from Glenmoriston after 1395 and previously would have resided with the Lord of the Isles at Ardtornish Castle They descend from Iain Ruadh, hereditary body guard to the Lords of the Isles. Iain Ruadh’s descendants exchanged undershirts with the Lord of the Isles as he passed from Ardtornish to Dingwall during the late period of the Lordship. The exchange of gifts indicated the close relationship between the families. Comparisons of DNA results with the Chiefs of the MacGregors, MacRaes, and McCoys strongly support common descent from Gregor, third in line after Kenneth McAlpin in the dalriadic king line around 880 AD. This common descent from Gregor also appears to apply to a number of persons in the olive black group and the red black group. Persons in those groups need to take the appropriate SNP test to be moved into pale violet black. http://www.clan-donald-usa.org/index.php/dna-results My cousin's line reads as R1b1a2a1a2b4. My I1, coming as it does from my father's side, is most likely an Anglo- Saxon standard. For all that, the Goodings from my great- great grandfather back all seemed to be proper Germanic blondes ( if the black and white photo of old John can be trusted), while from my great- grandfather up, they seem to have had dark brown/ black hair.
    I'm not sure that colouring tells much. Most brown haired Brits have rufous undertones (phaeomelanin) as well as some low eumelanin genes that are masked by the high eumelanin genes. If their offspring gets the low they turn out blondish (like two of my three) if they get the phaeo + low (or one parent is a blondish) a ginger results (like my no.1 g'daughter). Rumours of rufosity''s imminent extinction by miscegenation show a misunderstanding of genetics. Phaeo lurks unseen like a forgotten sea mine for generations then bursts out in a high yellow called Red.
    Quote Originally Posted by mary
    There was no poverty in the Soviet time. It was only in the 80's that it started to happen due to incompetent leadership. People in the Soviet Union lived better than Americans do today.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OldPretan For This Useful Post:

Gooding (2016-08-22)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2