Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Sub-Saharan African
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Angola Mexico Angola Mexico Angola Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Caipira View Post
    Has anyone seen this? The map (made by Masaman; he has a channel on Youtube) hits the nail on the head. Very impressive stuff.

His efforts are 10/10. Regarding Brazil, it is awesome how he included the Afro-Brazilians in areas of Bahia and Maranhão, Slavs in Paraná and Spaniards in São Paulo.
    some arent correct like certain states in america
    people really need to stop making these type of maps

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    SD
    Religion
    Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by Celph Titled View Post
    Yeah, what is that map even supposed to show?
    The Future was better before

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-09-04 @ 20:02
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Politics
    Liberal conservative
    Religion
    Roman Catholicism
    Brazil Portugal 1485 Portugal Spain Castile Spain traditional Spain

I beg to differ.

Some places are really biased and done by biased info only, and I guess that they are usually places where the Census don't ask about ethnicity. The Brazilian one seems to be a mix of many info that I can't say from where they got it, but, in general, it overlaps with the Census data about race, for example, and is not some "hmm, the South is white and the rest is not, so let's do it like that" stuff. The Brazilian Census is done in a municipal level, so info like that can be taken from small areas, just like the USA with the county level information.

Can't say for sure about the USA, but this one, which is done using dots for a certain number of people living in a small area (using Census data), seems to overlap with Masaman's map, at least regarding the Eastern portion.

Again, it is very interesting how much effort he put into it instead of the general "there are 4 white majority states in Brazil, so let's just paint them in blue and the rest in gray" that is the rule for maps like that regarding this particular country. Also, he highlighted the Afro-Brazilian majority areas, something that almost no one has done in maps like that, and even the Japanese communities are present.

The same for Argentina. If one take maps from this country about this subject, usually all areas are in "white" category. Sometimes, they paint the Northwest in a "non-white" colour, but that's all. I don't know what info he used, since the Census there don't ask about race, but it was done way better than the "Argentine is white" (insert meme here) kind of stuff, like the one above, which is very popular and you will find everywhere in anthro forums:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    It is an ethnic map. The info is on the top right corner of the image.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Sub-Saharan African
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American

Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    i guess the races/mixtures in the world

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Sub-Saharan African
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American

I beg to differ.

Some places are really biased and done by biased info only, and I guess that they are usually places where the Census don't ask about ethnicity. The Brazilian one seems to be a mix of many info that I can't say from where they got it, but, in general, it overlaps with the Census data about race, for example, and is not some "hmm, the South is white and the rest is not, so let's do it like that" stuff. The Brazilian Census is done in a municipal level, so info like that can be taken from small areas, just like the USA with the county level information.

Can't say for sure about the USA, but this one, which is done using dots for a certain number of people living in a small area (using Census data), seems to overlap with Masaman's map, at least regarding the Eastern portion.

Again, it is very interesting how much effort he put into it instead of the general "there are 4 white majority states in Brazil, so let's just paint them in blue and the rest in gray" that is the rule for maps like that regarding this particular country. Also, he highlighted the Afro-Brazilian majority areas, something that almost no one has done in maps like that, and even the Japanese communities are present.

The same for Argentina. If one take maps from this country about this subject, usually all areas are in "white" category. Sometimes, they paint the Northwest in a "non-white" colour, but that's all. I don't know what info he used, since the Census there don't ask about race, but it was done way better than the "Argentine is white" (insert meme here) kind of stuff, like the one above, which is very popular and you will find everywhere in anthro forums:

One thing is how you classify yourself, we know many Brazilians who look very mix classify themselves as white, I don't need to post examples

the reality of it is that it very hard to make maps like the one he did especially with big nations and even more when they are heavily mix on average

when it comes to America, a lot of the Southwestern areas should be classified as mestizos or whatever
    whites in California only represent 38% of the population in 2015, you really think according to his map that California is majority white? hell no

again, I am not sure what he used to measure each race/admixture, a lot of the Southwestern states are now majority Hispanic with a white minority

I also do not know why he would classify Northern Mexico as castizo, it is not castizo at all, at most it is harnizo with a few areas being castizo and some being amerindian, others being white and some being asian, but the overall admixture in Northern Mexico is harnizo not castizo

no black communities are found in Veracruz? that is a lie, there are some especially in the coastal part of the state
    there is also white communities as well

this is why I say that maps like this are dumb to me, you can't expect a person who has never traveled to know the demographics of a nation by town to town, it is impossible

Established Member
    Last Online
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Politics
    Liberal conservative
    Religion
    Roman Catholicism

One thing is how you classify yourself, we know many Brazilians who look very mix classify themselves as white, I don't need to post examples
    That's true, but not the case for this map per se, actually. Most people classifying as white in the areas shown here are pred. white looking people from regions with heavy recent immigration from Europe. Santa Catarina scored 84% white in the last Census. Even considering that many of the self-declared whites are not real white looking people, I still doubt whites wouldn't be the majority of the state population, for example. Anyway, we have to stick to official data while regarding statistic media (such as what this map is intend to represent), not our personal impressions. I will not extend myself about this subject in this particular thread anymore otherwise it will take it out of its focus, but anyone wanting to discuss it feel free to give me a call on the right thread about it.

the reality of it is that it very hard to make maps like the one he did especially with big nations and even more when they are heavily mix on average

when it comes to America, a lot of the Southwestern areas should be classified as mestizos or whatever
    whites in California only represent 38% of the population in 2015, you really think according to his map that California is majority white? hell no

again, I am not sure what he used to measure each race/admixture, a lot of the Southwestern states are now majority Hispanic with a white minority
    The last Census was done in 2010. If I was going to do something with Census data, I would go with this one, not the 2015 predictions. I don't doubt that by now (2019), the demographics of California, for example, is really different from the data they got in 2010, but again, if you use the Census information, you have to use the complete data available (researched in every household and so on). In this case, it is the 2010 Census. California was then a white-majority state officially, but of course they were counting White Hispanics. If White Hispanics are white or not is another subject.

I also do not know why he would classify Northern Mexico as castizo, it is not castizo at all, at most it is harnizo with a few areas being castizo and some being amerindian, others being white and some being asian, but the overall admixture in Northern Mexico is harnizo not castizo

no black communities are found in Veracruz? that is a lie, there are some especially in the coastal part of the state
    there is also white communities as well

this is why I say that maps like this are dumb to me, you can't expect a person who has never traveled to know the demographics of a nation by town to town, it is impossible
    Of course it is impossible to be 100% accurate. That's not even a question. But this guy used, as far as I know, the official data he got from country to country (he explains this on his channel). In many, if not most countries, there is no ethnic questionnaire, so he would have to go on what he got available, which can be misleading but would serve to fill the gaps. Anyway he tried to avoid using personal impressions or information received from very biased sources (like white supremacist sites or users).

People from each country also can give him tips and info. The guy himself said he is open to corrections. He made several maps earlier, with a lot of changes. He made a oversimplistic map before this one, but got more realible sources from Brazil, for example, and made this newer one, way better than the older map.

Established Member
    Last Online
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Politics
    Liberal conservative
    Religion
    Roman Catholicism

Non-Iberian surnames in Brazil

An interesting work made by Leonardo Monasterio. He used the database of registered workers in Brazil (48 million people) and the names of streets in Brazil (most of our streets are named after real persons, usually people that lived in those towns) to make this study.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0176890

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:45
    Europid
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Politics
    Shmuley Poley
    Religion
    anonymous Cathoholics
    Germany Bavaria Holy Roman Empire

Map of showing North and South America, or the 'New World'. The map first appeared in Münster's Cosmographia in the 1540s. The map is considered to be the first to show the entire continents of North and South America. (1544)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:45
    Europid
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Politics
    Shmuley Poley
    Religion
    anonymous Cathoholics
    Germany Bavaria Holy Roman Empire

Teütschlandt in 1545, map by Sebastian Münster:

Established Member
    Biological Anthropologist
    Last Online
    @
    E-M4254, Q-M3, R-L2
    mtDNA
    L2b2, L3e2b
    Race
    Triracial
    Metaethnos
    Afro-Descendant
    Phenotype
    Chulo Man
    Politics
    Legalize It
    Religion
    Believe What You Want
    Belize CARICOM United States Federal Republic of Central America Jamaica Belize

Has anyone seen this? The map (made by Masaman; he has a channel on Youtube) hits the nail on the head. Very impressive stuff.

His efforts are 10/10.
    He did great with this. I like the color scheme he used.

If you look closely, he even correctly shows the regional distribution of Afro-Belizeans, relative to Mestizos, Mayas, East Indians and Mennonites. Belize is only 23,000 sq. km, and this man killed it with that type of detail.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pgbk87 For This Useful Post:

El Andullero (2019-09-23)

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35