Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Sub-Saharan African
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Angola Mexico Angola Mexico Angola Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by El Andullero View Post
    The majority of the Soto are concentrated in the South (I know because they are my maternal family), while Rodriguez and Hernandez tend to be northerners. The funny thing is that my paternal surname (Lozano) doesn't even appear on that list Bryan gave, which tells you how super rare it is on the island. In Mexico and the rest of the continent, on the contrary, they seem to be legion.
    Lozano is found primarily in Mexico and Colombia
    Mexico being the most prevalent while Colombia having the highest density

There are only 2,199 Dominicans with that surname, which is very low in numbers so its indeed sort of rare

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Celph Titled For This Useful Post:

El Andullero (2016-11-07)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Race Scientist
    Last Online
    2017-06-13 @ 05:30
    Triracial
    Ethnicity
    Mexican
    Politics
    Independent
    United States Mexico Spain Senegal Cameroon Armenia

My last name is Spanish but originates in the Arabic Language.

Most unique last name i heard was Exiga and the girl who had it claimed it was Aztec. Not sure if that claim is true.

Also quick fact most of you probably already know that Spanish last names that end in "EZ" means "son of". So Rodrgiuez means son of Rodrigo, Fernandez means son of Fernando and Sanchez es hijo de Sancho lol. Learned that from my Spanish teacher who was from Catalan. Also any last name that begins in spanish that begins with AL originates from Arabic.

Wondering if anyone has heard an indigenous last name before?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KING2 For This Useful Post:

El Andullero (2016-11-07)

Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    L0a2a1a
    Race
    Triracial
    Phenotype
    Indid
    Metaethnos
    Caribbean Hispanic
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Politics
    Royalism
    Religion
    Catholicism
    GEDmatch
    HB6236866
    Dominican Republic Santiago de los Caballeros Spain traditional Spain African Union(OAS)

Quote Originally Posted by KING2 View Post

Most unique last name i heard was Exiga and the girl who had it claimed it was Aztec. Not sure if that claim is true.

Also quick fact most of you probably already know that Spanish last names that end in "EZ" means "son of". So Rodrgiuez means son of Rodrigo, Fernandez means son of Fernando and Sanchez es hijo de Sancho lol. Learned that from my Spanish teacher who was from Catalan. Also any last name that begins in spanish that begins with AL originates from Arabic.

As far as the Mexican case is concerned I haven't (although I'm sure there must be), but in Perú, "Humala" (from the Peruvian ex-president) is most definitely one.

Established Member
    Last Online
    2017-11-02 @ 00:39
    Biracial
    Ethnicity
    Latino
    Dominican Republic United States

Yes. Aside of the ones that are from certain towns/cities, Almonte and Castillo, for example, are more typical in northern DRs or at least are surnames that I would associate with Northern Dominicans; Taveras and Tavarez as well (especially Taveras like I already mentioned), etc. Santana and Mejia tend to be more common in the Southeast (in my classroom alone there were like 7 students out of 30 whose surnames was Santana and neither of them were related). This is from MY experience though, but in the case of Taveras and Tavares even some other Dominicans will tell you the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Celph Titled View Post
    Are there any surnames more common in certain regions of the Dominican Republic? For example if you see X surname on a Dominican, can you tell what region they come from?
    There are many surnames that I would think or suspect they are Dominican and don't even appear on that list. Felix, Tapia, Estrella, Bello, Inoa, Bonilla, Ferreiras, Melo, Bermudez, Solano, Grullon, Pin~a, Espaillat, Fiallo, Rijo, Guerra, Almanzar, Troncoso, etc. I would associate all of them with DRs. Actually, the majority of surnames from my class growing in primaria and bachillerato aren't on the list. And most of my classmates back then were regular kids (mostly lower middle and middle middle class, with 2 or 3 becados and a couple of "new rich" kids).

Quote Originally Posted by El Andullero View Post
    The majority of the Soto are concentrated in the South (I know because they are my maternal family), while Rodriguez and Hernandez tend to be northerners. The funny thing is that my paternal surname (Lozano) doesn't even appear on that list Bryan gave, which tells you how super rare it is on the island. In Mexico and the rest of the continent, on the contrary, they seem to be legion.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Sub-Saharan African
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American

Felix, Tapia and Bonilla are surnames I would associate with Mexicans before any other Latino nationality. I don't know why but those are surnames I would just not associate at all with Caribbeans, although im sure they exist but my first thought would be Mexican. Although those surnames are more common in Northern Mexico, many narcos in Mexico have the surname Felix

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KING2 View Post

Nah, it is not Aztec lol

Indigenous last names in Mexico are very common in Yucatan and Quintana Roo

Established Member
    Last Online
    Biracial
    Ethnicity
    Latino

What surnames do you associate with Caribbeans? I always had the impression that Cubans and Puerto Ricans had more of the stereotypical Spanish surnames like Rodriguez, Perez and Gonzalez compared to us. Even among Galicians, Asturians and Basques those last names tend to be extremely common. I haven't seen many Puerto Ricans carrying Garcia though. That surname seems to be more common among Cubans and Dominicans, especially among Cubans (which makes sense since they received a lot of Iberians and that's the most common surname in mainland Spain).

Felix is common in the DR. I'm surprised it didn't appear on the list. Perhaps they confused Feliz with Felix and that's why? Because I haven't seen that many Feliz to be honest. Who knows. I've seen Bonilla before too. One of my former co-workers was Bonilla. At first I thought she was Dominicana from Santiago or somewhere around that area, but nah, she was boricua. Looked sorta castizo-ish.

Established Member
    Last Online
    2018-01-22 @ 02:28
    H1a3
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Metaethnos
    Latina
    Ethnicity
    American
    Politics
    Not Leftist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    United States United Kingdom Mexico Spain Germany Bavaria Netherlands

My surname is Spanish. I heard so many stories about it. Some claim it is Sephardic, one person claims it originated in Álava, Basque Country according to legend. I am pretty sure it was derived from vulgar Latin and going with that until proven otherwise as people say all sorts of things that may not be true/correct. Apparently the surname can be found all over though.

Established Member
    Last Online
    Biracial
    Ethnicity
    Latino

Most common surnames by country:
    http://blog.myheritage.es/2013/06/lo...ispanoamerica/

España:

1 García
    2 Fernández
    3 González
    4 Rodríguez
    5 López
    6 Martínez
    7 Sánchez
    8 Pérez
    9 Martín
    10 Gómez

Argentin
    a:

1 González
    2 Rodríguez
    3 Gómez
    4 Fernández
    5 López
    6 Díaz
    7 Martínez
    8 Pérez
    9 García
    10 Sánchez

Chile:

1 González
    2 Muñoz
    3 Rojas
    4 Díaz
    5 Pérez
    6 Soto
    7 Contreras
    8 Silva
    9 Martínez
    10 Sepúlveda

México
    :

1 Rodríguez
    2 Flores
    3 Hernández
    4 García
    5 Martínez
    6 López
    7 González
    8 Gómez
    9 Pérez
    10 Sánchez

Colombia:

1 Cardona
    2 Rodríguez
    3 Gutiérrez
    4 Aguirre
    5 Alzate
    6 Aristizabal
    7 Mendoza
    8 Londoño
    9 Castañeda
    10 Montoya

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

Montanini (2016-11-11)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Biracial
    Ethnicity
    Latino

I found another list for Colombia which I think is more reliable than that one I posted:
    https://pasaportecolombiano.wordpres...s-en-colombia/

Here's another list for Colombia
    http://www.bluradio.com/115509/los-5...a-esta-el-suyo

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Sub-Saharan African
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    What surnames do you associate with Caribbeans? I always had the impression that Cubans and Puerto Ricans had more of the stereotypical Spanish surnames like Rodriguez, Perez and Gonzalez compared to us. Even among Galicians, Asturians and Basques those last names tend to be extremely common. I haven't seen many Puerto Ricans carrying Garcia though. That surname seems to be more common among Cubans and Dominicans, especially among Cubans (which makes sense since they received a lot of Iberians and that's the most common surname in mainland Spain).

Felix is common in the DR. I'm surprised it didn't appear on the list. Perhaps they confused Feliz with Felix and that's why? Because I haven't seen that many Feliz to be honest. Who knows. I've seen Bonilla before too. One of my former co-workers was Bonilla. At first I thought she was Dominicana from Santiago or somewhere around that area, but nah, she was boricua. Looked sorta castizo-ish.
    Nah, Feliz is is correct, Dominicans with the surname Felix only represents 9,625 of the population which is very little although the numbers might be smaller since its not a reliable source for the Dominican Republic surnames

The Latin American countries with the highest numbers of Felix are

1. Brazil - 215,900
    2. Mexico - 88,492
    3. Peru - 10,901
    4. Dominican Republic - 9,625
    5. Argentina - 2,240

For Bonilla it is

1. Colombia - 78,524
    2. Mexico - 78,520
    3. Honduras - 32,201
    4. El Salvador - 28,942
    5. Ecuador - 24,863

(three other countries, 2 in Central America and one in South America) and the Dominican Republic appears

To me typical Caribbean surnames would be Ortiz, Santos, those are the only ones I can think of right now

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast