User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: Three math books for elite math skills from the ground up1009 days old

  1. #31
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ThePendragon's Avatar
    Last Online
    2017-07-26 @ 22:31
    Join Date
    2016-10-05
    Posts
    1,131
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    H
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Metaethnos
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    mainstream American
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    pantheist
    United States Northern Ireland Germany Scotland Ireland England

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post

    Btw, ThePendragon why the hell did you went from an America-hating Frenchie to a Wasp? Which of it is your real you?
    It is off topic but I had my DNA tested but before that I went by my Hiberno-Norman last name etc... also, I had an Italian-American call me a WASP. I posted my DNA results on this forum if you want to check it out.
    Last edited by ThePendragon; 2016-11-26 at 20:01.
    American of Scots-Irish or Ulster Ancestry :

    'I am a Scotsman', Sir Walter Scott once famously wrote, ' therefore I had to fight my way into the world'.

    "Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind.” --Winston Churchill(England)

    "We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.” --Voltaire(France)

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot
    Join Date
    2013-03-24
    Location
    ForumBiodiversity.com
    Posts
    All threads
       
     

  3. #32
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ThePendragon's Avatar
    Last Online
    2017-07-26 @ 22:31
    Join Date
    2016-10-05
    Posts
    1,131
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    H
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Metaethnos
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    mainstream American
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    pantheist
    United States Northern Ireland Germany Scotland Ireland England

    Default @Elias

    Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    Probably, and I'm sure I'd be able to make good use of them, if I cared about math. Who knows, maybe some day when I'm 80 I'll develop a passion for math -- but right now, it feels like I just don't need math in this life. I am however, an autodidact, and in fact, pretty much everything I know I've learned on my own; my parents really didn't teach me anything, the only thing my school teachers taught me was the alphabet and arithmetics. I thought math was interesting until we got to division in the fifth or maybe fourth grade (I can't remember which right now), after that I began losing interest in math because division was a slightly difficult at that age, especially with my concentration problems, which lead to me being unable to focus in my entire school years (not just math btw, and never eating breakfast in the mornings probably also contributed to my concentration problems). This all lead to me having lousy math grades, and serious problems getting a "godkänd" (grades approved) in math later on. However, I actually got godkänd when I focused on math for like a week or two straight. Math isn't difficult when I set my mind on it, it's just that my mind is constantly busy focusing on other stuff that are way more interesting. In my teens, my focus was totally set on video games, computers, action films, comic books, astronomy, Anne Rice novels (The Vampire Chronicles mainly), bodybuilding, taekwondo, and porn. In other words, pretty much the same interests and hobbies I have now, although I have to get back to Taekwondo at some point
    Well, astronomy is mathematical too. The reason why it feels like you don't need math in your life may be due to a mental block to dealing comfortably with numbers and probabilities which are quite natural human psychological responses to uncertainty, to coincidence or how a problem is framed. Some other reasons can be attributed to anxiety or to romantic misconceptions about the importance and nature of mathematics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elias
    Math isn't an international language at all; it's a universal language. As I'm sure you know, if there are extra-terrestrial aliens at or above human intelligence, we can only communicate with them (at least initially) through math, which is quite awesome in and of itself.
    It is probably both : it is not an either or black and white scenario but in the latter case I'm not sure that Aliens would use the same mathematical script or symbols that we do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elias
    Yeah, but it's not just math that suffers from this problem: the school system in the entire West sucks hard. Again: I never really learned anything in school. I intentionally flunked almost all my grades in the ninth grade (I was approved only in English and music, even though I was barely there, and that's because my English teacher knew hands down I was by far the best English speaker in my class, and I knew a lot about music too, based on the 2-3 classes I showed up). The Swedish school system (and this is in no way unique to Swedish schools btw; American schools probably suck even more) manages to make something as interesting, fascinating and awesome as knowledge, boring. That's one hell of an accomplishment! Few things in life are more fun than knowledge, but you go to school, and some boring stiff robot who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about and has to read straight from the book in every class (with no passion, interest or deeper knowledge in the subject he's teaching), is supposed to teach young kids about how the world works. Doesn't work that way.

    Throughout school, there were only like, 2-3 teachers I really liked, one of whom was named "Lars-Göran", that guy was really cool and fun as hell. I loved showing up on his classes. He had a great sense of humor too (he used to sarcastically and condescendingly call us "the MTV generation" as if that was a bad thing). All other teachers sucked and they were only there for the salary, not because they had any passion for or understanding of their duty, that their job is to impart something as important as knowledge, to us, the generation of the future. I think the "American Nietzsche" nailed it:

    The most erroneous assumption is to the effect that the aim of public education is to fill the young of the species with knowledge and awaken their intelligence, and so make them fit to discharge the duties of citizenship in an enlightened and independent manner. Nothing could be further from the truth. The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all; it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed and train a standardized citizenry, to put down dissent and originality. That is its aim in the United States, whatever the pretensions of politicians, pedagogues and other such mountebanks, and that is its aim everywhere else.” ― H.L. Mencken

    ^^ This is why school sucks. As long as education is going to be anti-knowledge, anti-originality and pro-brainwashing, school will always suck. And I'm so proud of having dropped out of the shitty school system. To hell with that shit
    Yeah, there you go quoting the American Catholic critic of WASP or Protestant America, again. However, believe it or not it is not the American WASPs that are to blame but the Germans or the philosopher Hegel and the Prussians in particular. Prussia or Germany was the first state to have mandatory public schools or state schools and the purpose was to create citizens who all thought alike on important topics. In otherwords it was meant to create mindless sheeple. The rest of the West followed this example. So if you want to blame someone blame the Krauts not the WASPs. WASP libertarians actually want to put an end to this.

    Also, the good thing about majoring in math in college is it is the easiest laziest way to get a degree and you don't have to waste too much of your time. For instance, the smartest people tend to realize that all math can be derived from a few fundamental axioms therefore they only memorize a handful of stuff (in mathematics a few basic fundamental axioms well learned is worth more than a ton of partially digested material). So these future mathematicians only spend time learning a few stuff while others like engineers and computer scientists etc.... have to waste time memorizing a ton of stuff. The engineer approaches mathematics differently they think you have to memorize a ton of mathematical formulas like memorizing recipes from a cookbook and that is because they are fundamentally dumber than mathematicians.


    It may seem hard to believe, at your current mathematical ability, but in reality majoring in math is the easiest laziest way to get a college degree and get out of college with minimal hassle and as fast as you can. To reiterate that is because you only have to learn a few fundamental axioms in which you can derive all other mathematics from -- that is how mathematicians do math in contrast to engineers etc...

    Quote Originally Posted by Elias
    The irony here is, that I'd actually make a really good teacher (seriously, no joke!). I'm very open-minded and knowledgeable, I'm a very fast learner and I am -- believe it or not -- very pedagogic too (I'm also really good at explaining complicated things in an ingenious way, especially IRL). I just hate school and I feel like setting my foot in a school room room again, even as a teacher, would be like waking up to a nightmare, and math more than any other subject, feels like school. In a sense though, I guess you could say I'm a free of charge online teacher here on ABF
    That is what I am feeling like right now LOL my mother is actually a highschool English teacher.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elias
    Never mind @Rugevit , and this is a good thread and I appreciate you started it (we need threads like this one, and we definitely should diversify the topics here on ABF, as opposed to only genetics and politics; make no mistake about it, this really is a science forum first and foremost, and math is a very important field to discuss).
    Thank you and I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elias
    Look, I'm no ignoramus; I take knowledge very seriously, always have. I fully understand the tremendous importance of math, but it's just not my cup of tea, that's all. What I meant when I said it's a dead language, isn't of course that it is, it's just that math is a language you have no real use of in the real world, unless you're a professional scientist of some sort (which I have no intention of becoming). You can't charm or impress women and get laid by knowing math at an advanced level (unless she's into math also, and that's almost always the ugly chicks who are into that), you can't write a novel by being proficient in math (which is what I'm actually aiming at; my dream is becoming an author), and statistically speaking, it's easier to become financially successful, through great oratory skills (Jews being the most notable example), and that's what I am: verbally gifted (I guess I have that Semitic gene so to say). It's not that I'm genetically inferior at math or anything like that, I just hate math because it's such an autistic, anti-social field of study. You have to be a bit like that schizo guy in A Beautiful Mind to enjoy math (great movie btw). It's no coincidence that all those aspie savants are math geniuses.
    Actually, it is not true per se that you only need high verbal intelligence (I have that too as you probably noticed) to make alot of money. In some cases it may be true but if Ashkenazi Jews sucked at math they would have never made it as middle men or money lenders in medieval Europe. Also, Bill Gates has a very high math ability (I know you don't like him but he is a billionaire). Also, innumerates tend to not realize that alot or continuous adding of very small sums can add up to very big sums and this can have consequences both for saving up for retirement and for hacking. For instance, smart hackers, when they hack a bank account, will only steal like 20 dollars from each account knowing that it will end up to a significant sum because it is smarter than just stealing alot of money from a single account for several reasons. Hacking is all organized crime right now and you can't be good at real hacking or programming without having a solid math background. A hacker named Kevin Paulsen made a billion or billions of dollars being a hacker kingpin. Also, to be good on Wallstreet, finance and banking you have to be good at math too etc... I could go on with more examples but I'm sure you get the point by now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elias
    That said, I did make some decent money recently on Trump's victory, and I guess you could attribute that to my math skills So many things were in the right place at the right time and it was all interconnected beautifully and perfectly as far as my synchromysticism radar was concerned, that I calculated a Trump loss was, statistically speaking, extremely unlikely! And this in spite of all the polls and pundits 24/7 saying Trump would lose, but I knew better than those morons

    Cool. I just bought two new Asus Strix Radeon R9 Fury GPUs, and I'll be contributing some serious shit to BOINC with them soon, who knows, my work units just may solve Collatz conjecture


    Very cool and good for you !
    Last edited by ThePendragon; 2016-11-26 at 23:17. Reason: punctuation and grammar
    American of Scots-Irish or Ulster Ancestry :

    'I am a Scotsman', Sir Walter Scott once famously wrote, ' therefore I had to fight my way into the world'.

    "Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind.” --Winston Churchill(England)

    "We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.” --Voltaire(France)

  4. #33
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ThePendragon's Avatar
    Last Online
    2017-07-26 @ 22:31
    Join Date
    2016-10-05
    Posts
    1,131
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    H
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Metaethnos
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    mainstream American
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    pantheist
    United States Northern Ireland Germany Scotland Ireland England

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Elias
    Never mind @Rugevit , and this is a good thread and I appreciate you started it (we need threads like this one, and we definitely should diversify the topics here on ABF, as opposed to only genetics and politics; make no mistake about it, this really is a science forum first and foremost, and math is a very important field to discuss).
    Yeah, I have another comment to make about what you said here. On the back of the cover ,of one of the books I recommended, titled "What is Mathematics ? An Elementary Approach to Ideas and Methods" it has this quote :

    "Without doubt, the work will have great influence. It should be in the hands of everyone, professional or otherwise, who is interested in scientific thinking." -- The New York Times

    Also, there is one from Albert Einstein :

    "A lucid representation of the fundamental concepts and methods of the whole field of mathematics ... Easily understandable." --Albert Einstein

    Actually, I'll throw in another quote from the back of the book :

    "It is a work of high perfection... It is astonishing to what extent What is Mathematics ? has succeeded in making clear by means of the simplest examples all the fundamental ideas and methods which we mathematicians consider the life blood of our science." -- Herman Weyl
    Last edited by ThePendragon; 2016-11-26 at 22:47. Reason: punctuation
    American of Scots-Irish or Ulster Ancestry :

    'I am a Scotsman', Sir Walter Scott once famously wrote, ' therefore I had to fight my way into the world'.

    "Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind.” --Winston Churchill(England)

    "We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.” --Voltaire(France)

  5. #34
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ThePendragon's Avatar
    Last Online
    2017-07-26 @ 22:31
    Join Date
    2016-10-05
    Posts
    1,131
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    H
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Metaethnos
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    mainstream American
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    pantheist
    United States Northern Ireland Germany Scotland Ireland England

    Default

    Elias you mentioned this forum is mostly about politics and genetics.

    I'll build off your quote and add some extra commentary to keep the thread going and interesting. Here is a quote from "Mathematics For the Million" about genetics :

    "...It is important to know the language of size [math--Pendragon], because entrusting the laws of human society, social statistics, man's hereditary makeup, the balance of trade, to the isolated mathematician without checking his conclusions is like letting a commitee of philologists manufacture truths of human, animal or plant anatomy from the resources of their own imaginations." --Lancelot Hogben

    Even genetics is mathematical it started with Gregor Mendel and Mendelian genetics (which is not 100% accurate via our knowledge, nowadays). Like Gauss said "mathematics is the queen of the sciences" and that is not just stuff like physics.

    Sir Francis Bacon said this :

    "Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention." -- Francis Bacon

    The books I recommended, in the OP, are to be read wholly, and with dilligence and attention. This is what one of the books looks like when you chew and digest it :

    My book "Mathematics For the Million" :


    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...pspb27c681.jpg


    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...g?t=1480122399


    ^^ if your books don't look like that when you are done reading them then you have not chewed and digested them analytically for all they are worth.

    It seems you can't post pictures, on this subforum, so you will have to click on the links to view what my books look like when I am done reading them analytically,
    Last edited by ThePendragon; 2016-11-27 at 01:08. Reason: grammar and to fix broken links
    American of Scots-Irish or Ulster Ancestry :

    'I am a Scotsman', Sir Walter Scott once famously wrote, ' therefore I had to fight my way into the world'.

    "Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind.” --Winston Churchill(England)

    "We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.” --Voltaire(France)

  6. #35
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ThePendragon's Avatar
    Last Online
    2017-07-26 @ 22:31
    Join Date
    2016-10-05
    Posts
    1,131
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    H
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Metaethnos
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    mainstream American
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    pantheist
    United States Northern Ireland Germany Scotland Ireland England

    Default @Elias you best gets down with math son !

    Actually, EliasAlucard, I don't want to pick on you, but perhaps this will motivate you, however, for someone who runs a so called 'science' forum it is interesting you are not more into mathematics but that is probably because you never went to college, unlike myself, I've been to college .

    I'll quote another book I recommended : "Mathematics in 10 Lessons : The Grand Tour" :

    "In his famous Rede Lecture at Cambridge in 1959 , C.P. Snow asserted that Western intellectual society has become seperated into two disparate groups. One of these groups, Snow claimed, contains the scientists and the other is composed of the literary intellectuals. Snow called these groups "The Two Cultures". Lord Snow deplored the separation because he found meaningful communication between the cultures does not exist. Even, worse Snow claimed, the highly educated people in one of the cultures simply do not like those in the other. Between the cultures, Snow said, lives "hostility and dislike."

    Undoubtedly, Lord Snow's assertion of the existence of the two cultures is correct. All a doubter need do is go to any university campus and look. The two cultures will find you before you find them. Ask a scientist directions to the Hall of Liberal Arts and he will likely end his set of directions with a gratuitous remark about the fuzzy-mindedness of the humanists who work there. When you arrive you'll find, outside the English department door, bulletin board cartoons lampooning the illiteracy of professors who wear white laboratory coats and peer into microscopes. On campus, the separateness of the two cultures will jump out at you whether you are seeking it or not.

    However, I do not believe the two cultures are defined as something intrinsic to the nature of humanists or the nature of scientists. Rather, the cultures are determined precisely by the presence or absence of a certain level of mathematical proficiency. I have referred to to the cultures as being composed, respectively, of people of type M or people of type N -- a Type M person being a person who knows a certain amount of mathematics and a Type N person being one who does not.

    Thus , I claim that the separating agent between the cultures is mathematics. The M-culture contains Snow's scientists; the N-culture contains his literary intellectuals. A physicist is type M; a poet is type N. The physicist knows mathematics, the poet does not. Because of this they do not communicate. ...

    Mathematicians concentrate on research. Research is what they want to do and mainly what universities pay them to do. Teaching is often not a high priority and the culture distinction is not a priority at all. By and large, mathematicians consider the culture gap inevitable. Poets are poets and and physicists are physicists. It is natural there be no commerce between them." -- Jerry King

    Yo son, if you want to run a real scientific forum you best get down with the mathematics more or you might as well be running a forum for poets. I dunno how you can run a serious science forum when you are not more down with mathematics !

    Gets down with the get down dawg ! It is time to start cracking open those math books I recommended !
    Last edited by ThePendragon; 2016-11-27 at 02:07.
    American of Scots-Irish or Ulster Ancestry :

    'I am a Scotsman', Sir Walter Scott once famously wrote, ' therefore I had to fight my way into the world'.

    "Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind.” --Winston Churchill(England)

    "We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.” --Voltaire(France)

  7. #36
    Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Junior Member Janos's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2010-05-29
    Posts
    10,999
    Location
    Svithjod
    Gender
    Politics
    SD
    Religion
    Christianity

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    What I meant when I said it's a dead language, isn't of course that it is, it's just that math is a language you have no real use of in the real world
    You can proove your point by calculating something. For instance right now Germany takes by far the largest share of asylum seekers per capita in Europe. Ofcourse a reader of such statistics doesn't need to calculate that because it is allready calculated and presented by those who published the statistics but still. Same if you count how many calories you eat per day.

    unless you're a professional scientist of some sort (which I have no intention of becoming). You can't charm or impress women and get laid by knowing math at an advanced level (unless she's into math also, and that's almost always the ugly chicks who are into that),
    Not by only talking about math, but if you work with economy at Ericsson or something, like a friend to our family, or if you have a high position at a Swedish Energy Company, like a relative of mine (both are males ofcourse), chances are that you have a high salary and that is attractive to many women (except loser women who only go after stupid criminals). Having some math skills is necessary for such jobs.

    you can't write a novel by being proficient in math (which is what I'm actually aiming at; my dream is becoming an author)
    I'd love to read that novel just of curiousity. Is it comedy or drama or thriller? I myself have created some manuscript and drawings to a cartoon sitcom in 13 or 14 episodes, with some inspiration from Family Guy and Simpsons-. (I also had some plans for a fantasy film in Medieval Sweden).
    The Future was better before

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Similar Threads

  1. Pendragon's top three math books for innumerates
    By ThePendragon in forum Mathematics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2016-11-24, 18:48
  2. Do you like common core math?
    By Zebruh in forum Mathematics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2016-05-01, 05:04
  3. math and reading ability shown to be 50% genetic
    By Angevin in forum Behavioural Neuroscience
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 2014-08-12, 11:03
  4. A Small Tribute To Some Math Heroes.
    By Yautja_BR in forum Mathematics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2011-10-21, 03:14
  5. Do you need a math or physics tuttor?
    By iateyourheadphons in forum Mathematics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 2010-11-18, 02:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
<