Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:15
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Lithuania Grand Duchy

Quote Originally Posted by Lemminkäinen View Post
    Estonian Vikings are a product of present day Estonians trying to make their history more glorious than it has been. There was a group called Oeselians living in Saaremaa, around 1000 years ago, but we have no evidences who they were. Livonians in union with Curonians and Oeselians controlled the eastern seaside, but I don't think that they were Estonian from the mainland.
    Modern day small nations need historic heroes and stories. Even if the stories are exaggerated.

- - - Updated - - -

"Pappi" sounds me like a modern Finnish word. I also wonder how those pagan Oesilians used this Russian loan word (pop, Latin papas) in a modern Finnish form to figure Roman Catholic priests.
    There were no Russians 1,000 years ago. There were certain eastern Slavic tribes around Baltic sea. Pop is a also a Swedish term for Pope.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    I1-L258
    mtDNA
    H39
    Phenotype
    Appalachid
    Metaethnos
    Finnic-Baltic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Politics
    Vandalism in Rome
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Rugevit View Post
    Modern day small nations need historic heroes and stories. Even if the stories are exaggerated.

- - - Updated - - -
    It is OK. What is annoying is that they are imitating something they were not. It is just a lame way to get attention by identifying itself as a part of the western Viking hullabaloo.
    Blog: http://terheninenmaa.blogspot.fi/, with essence "Believe me, or I'll nuke you".

H39 - Thracia 1650 BC, Hungary 5000 BC
    I1 - Transdanubia 5000 BC

Three simple facts about Finns:
    1. Baltic Finnic languages (including Finnish) never came from the Volga basin along with ancestors of present-day Finns.
    2. Finnish I1 (around 30% of all Finns) has Germanic roots from the late Bronze Age or the early Iron Age.
    3. As to the Finnish prehistory we have no evidences about any Iron Age (or later) east-to-west migration, but many unquestionable evidences about west-to-east migrations.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemminkäinen For This Useful Post:

Auduid (2017-11-26)

Established Member
    12/17/2012-12/17/2017: 5 years RIP
    Last Online
    Today @ 00:45

It is OK. What is annoying is that they are imitating something they were not. It is just a lame way to get attention by identifying itself as a part of the western Viking hullabaloo.

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:15
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Lithuania Grand Duchy

Such as a certain person claiming Estonians have more cultural ties with Icelanders than with their neighbours Latvians? He's not serious.

We probably have more historic ties with Norse than Estonians, whom we called Varangians. I am not sure.
    Gnezdovo archaeological site is on the border with Belarus was one of the largest Norse settlements in Europe outside of Scandinavia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnezdovo
    Many Varangians settled in Staraya Ladoga near Novgorod and Kiev. Of course, Rurikid formed a ruling dynasty who brought Christianity from Byzantium to Rus. Olga (Helgi) , Igor (Ingvar), Oleg (Helg), Rurik (Rørik), Askold ( Haskuldr), Dir, Rogvolod (Ragnvaldr), Rogneda ((Ragnheiđr, Ragnhildr). Many other legendary figures had Norse names. Most of them were probably from what's today Sweden. But noone in the right frame of mind will associate with western Vikings.

Established Member
    12/17/2012-12/17/2017: 5 years RIP
    Last Online
    Today @ 00:45

Quote Originally Posted by Rugevit View Post
    Such as a certain person claiming Estonians have more cultural ties with Icelanders than with their neighbours Latvians? He's not serious.

We probably have more historic ties with Norse than Estonians, whom we called Varangians. I am not sure.
    Gnezdovo archaeological site is on the border with Belarus was one of the largest Norse settlements in Europe outside of Scandinavia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnezdovo
    Many Varangians settled in Staraya Ladoga near Novgorod and Kiev. Of course, Rurikid formed a ruling dynasty who brought Christianity from Byzantium to Rus. Olga (Helgi) , Igor (Ingvar), Oleg (Helg), Rurik (Rørik), Askold ( Haskuldr), Dir, Rogvolod (Ragnvaldr), Rogneda ((Ragnheiđr, Ragnhildr). Many other legendary figures had Norse names. Most of them were probably from what's today Sweden. But noone in the right frame of mind will associate with western Vikings.
    Harald Hardraada

Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    2017-12-14 @ 23:13

Without doubt they were Baltic-Finns. If they shout "laula pappi" they were Finns, not Estonians or Livonians. In Estonia it is "laulama papp" or "laulma papp".
    In contemporary Estonian it would be "laula, laula, papp!". Papp - priest, laula - sing!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Freewheel For This Useful Post:

Lemminkäinen (2017-12-05)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4