Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 180 EUR, Received: 0 EUR (0%)
By donating, you not only support the continued existence of this site, you also improve this site in various ways, by making it affordable for ForumBiodiversity to upgrade the server with better hardware and licensed non-free proprietary software, but also motivating the staff to work harder. ABF will always be free of charge (gratis) to use. However, if everyone donates a small monthly amount, it makes a tremendous difference for the forum's overall quality in the long haul.

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Ryzen vs Intel147 days old

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ThePendragon's Avatar
    Last Online
    2017-07-26 @ 22:31
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    H
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Metaethnos
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    mainstream American
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    pantheist
    United States Northern Ireland Germany Scotland Ireland England

Thumbs up AMD Ryzen vs Intel

Elias, I hear you have stock in AMD (not sure if you sold it, yet) but AMD is looking pretty good , right now, from a pure tech perspective :

Quote Originally Posted by slashdot.org

AMD Ryzen 7 Series Processor Reviews Go Live, Zen Looks Strong Vs Intel

from the run-for-its-money dept.

MojoKid writes:

AMD has finally lifted the veil on independent reviews of its new Ryzen series of desktop processors that bring the company's CPU architecture back more on competitive footing versus its rival, Intel's Core series. The initial family of Ryzen processors consists of three 8-core chips, the Ryzen 7 1800X at 3.6GHz with boost to 4.1GHz, the Ryzen 7 1700X at 3.4Ghz with boost to 3.8GHz, and the Ryzen 7 1700 at 3GHz with boost to 3.7GHz. Each has support for 2 threads per core, for a total of 16 threads with 16MB of L3 cache on-board, 512K of L2 and TDPs that range from 65 watts for the Ryzen 7 1700 at the low-end, on up to 95 watts for the 1700X and 1800X. In comparison to AMD's long-standing A-series APUs and FX-series processors, the new architecture is significantly more efficient and performant than any of AMD's previous desktop processor offerings. AMD designed the Zen microarchitecture at the heart of Ryzen with performance, throughput, and efficiency in mind. Initially, AMD had reported a 40% target for IPC (instructions per clock) improvement with Zen but actually realized about a 52% lift in overall performance. In the general compute workloads, rendering, and clock-for-clock comparisons, the Ryzen 7 1800X either outperformed or gives Intel's much more expensive Core i7-6900K a run for its money. The lower clock speeds of the Ryzen 7 1700X and 1700 obviously resulted in performance a notch behind the flagship 1800X, but those processors also performed quite well. Ryzen was especially strong in heavily threaded workloads like 3D rendering and Ray Tracing, but even in less strenuous tests like PCMark, the Ryzen 7 series competed favorably. It's not all good news, though. With some older code, audio encoding, lower-res gaming, and platform level tests, Ryzen trailed Intel -- sometimes by a wide margin. There's obviously still optimization work that needs to be done -- from both AMD and software developers.
    http://www.slashdot.org/story/323171
    Last edited by ThePendragon; 2017-03-03 at 01:13.
    American of Scots-Irish or Ulster Ancestry :

'I am a Scotsman', Sir Walter Scott once famously wrote, ' therefore I had to fight my way into the world'.

"Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind.” --Winston Churchill(England)

"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.” --Voltaire(France)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePendragon For This Useful Post:

EliasAlucard (2017-06-11)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    H
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Metaethnos
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    mainstream American
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    pantheist

That previous post was on desktop AMD CPU's now onto the server side :

Quote Originally Posted by slashdot.org
    AMD Offers Full Details and Performance of Zen-Based Naples Server Platform

from the finer-details dept.

MojoKid writes:

AMD lifted the veil this morning on architecture details and performance expectations of its next generation Zen-based server platform, codenamed Naples. Naples is an up to 32-core, 64-thread variant of Zen, targeted at enterprise and data center applications. The processors will feature eight-channel DDR4 memory controllers (with up to 16 DIMMs attached per CPU), with support for up to 4TB of memory and 128 lanes of on-chip PCI Express connectivity. In a 2P (dual processor/dual socket) configuration, Naples offers up to 64 physical cores (128 threads), access to 32 DIMM slots, and aggregate 16 memory channels. Versus a 2P Intel Xeon E5-2699A V4 based server, the 2P Naples setup ends up with double the memory channels, a higher total memory capacity, more cores (20 more physical cores, 40 more threads), and 48 more available PCI Express lanes. AMD's performance comparisons at its tech day event pit a 2P Naples server with 512GB of DDR4 RAM up against a 2P Intel Xeon E4-2699A V4 configuration with 384GB of RAM. The Naples system had a higher memory capacity and that memory was clocked much higher too -- 2400MHz versus 1866MHz. The Naples system has more cores, and with SMT on, can ultimately process more threads as a result. The AMD Naples system also has double the memory channels, further improving peak memory bandwidth. In its demos, AMD used a seismic analysis workload, which involved multiple iterations of 3D wave equations. According to AMD, the test taxes the entire system, including CPU cores, memory and I/O. In this demo, the AMD server system completed equations roughly 2.5x faster than the dual-socket Intel Xeon server. Expected price points weren't given, but Naples processors and servers should be available in Q2 this year.
    http://www.slashdot.org/story/323371

AMD is back

'I am a Scotsman', Sir Walter Scott once famously wrote, ' therefore I had to fight my way into the world'.

"Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind.” --Winston Churchill(England)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePendragon For This Useful Post:

EliasAlucard (2017-06-11)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:56
    E1b1a8*
    mtDNA
    L0a1a2

Look at the beast that is Naples.

AMD preformed a sneak attack. IMO, What they did is ran up the core count IE : older FX series even when the IPC sucked. Now its seems that these older CPU's are actually better preforming NOW than they were back then due to optimization via core count. That let them get their foot in door. Now that they have a high preforming chip combined with a high core count they are putting their foot in Intel's ass.

When their stuff is further optimized it will be a slaughter, see Naples. This is chip is actually perfect for the adoption by Apple, since Apple machines are not too game centric and this chip is a workstation beast. The 1700 or even the 5 and 3 series will be beastly chips inside laptops due to their low TDP. If amd combined these with graphics ala APU style i predict TONS of design wins and Intel will have some tough quarters in its future.

Hold your position Elias.
    Last edited by beyoku; 2017-03-12 at 00:25.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beyoku For This Useful Post:

nee4speed111 (2017-03-12)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    E1b1a8*
    mtDNA
    L0a1a2

This guy read my mind. The only thing i can say is it was rushed, maybe by 3 weeks and MOBO people didnt have their shit together.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    E1b1a8*
    mtDNA
    L0a1a2

16 Core / 32 Thread Prosumer 1000.oo chip.

Established Member
    Last Online
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    H
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Metaethnos
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    mainstream American
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    pantheist

To be honest Intel is currently better at gaming at least until developers optimize games for the new AMD platform.

But when the CPU you are comparing AMD to is TWICE the price and the performance delta is usually only a few frames per second, no one but the "hardcore" gamers are going to care. Hopefully, everyone else will buy the less expensive product (which is SUPERIOR in many situations!) and be happy.

However, if you are a gamer and your measure of performance is how fast your games run, Intel wins hands down. A 7700k outperforms a Ryzen 1800x easily in almost every gaming benchmark and does it for $150 less.

With that being said it might not be on the desktop where AMD wins the fight , that might still be dominated by Intel, with only budget manufacturers switching to AMD. However, I think AMD will definitely dominate the datacentre and server market. I also think you'll see Naples (AMD's server chips) dominating the TOP500 soon.

Personally, I don't care since I am not a gamer let alone a hardcore gamer.

Regardless, AMD is definitely back and giving Intel a run for its money !
    Last edited by ThePendragon; 2017-03-19 at 05:46.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    E1b1a8*
    mtDNA
    L0a1a2

Thread Ripper.

Race Scientist
    Last Online
    2017-07-22 @ 14:40
    Ethnicity
    caucasian
    United States

This guy has a very heavy Irish accent. English is my native language, but I still have a difficult time understanding him. His sentences seem to run together. This is a good example of ineffective communication.
    I watched the first 10 minutes of the video and it looks like AMD has a good product. But it will take some time for their stock to go up. The computer manufacturers will have to put AMD's chip in their computers and then the computer magazines will have to run a test to see how it compares to Intel's chips. So it will be a while for the public to accept AMD's product.

Last Online
    Today @ 00:26
    Ethnicity
    Somali

Quote Originally Posted by perception View Post
    This guy has a very heavy Irish accent. English is my native language, but I still have a difficult time understanding him. His sentences seem to run together. This is a good example of ineffective communication.
    I watched the first 10 minutes of the video and it looks like AMD has a good product. But it will take some time for their stock to go up. The computer manufacturers will have to put AMD's chip in their computers and then the computer magazines will have to run a test to see how it compares to Intel's chips. So it will be a while for the public to accept AMD's product.
    It's Scottish.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    E1b1a8*
    mtDNA
    L0a1a2

Quote Originally Posted by perception View Post
    I don't know we're you have been. last year the stock was at 4.30 right now it getting ready to push 13.00 with a year high a bit over 15.00. AMD simply needs to deliver. Have the product out on time and deliver the quantity. They are good. Intel has nothing to counter at this point and their offerings will be hard on their bottom line. One thing that would push AMD price our is the stratosphere is perhaps and adoption by Apple of their CPU. A buyout could also do it. A good one, not bullshit regarding micron.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to beyoku For This Useful Post:

EliasAlucard (2017-07-14)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast