Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    pantheist
    United States United Kingdom Scotland Canada Weed Flag New Zealand Australia

Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    I'm a big believer in libreboot and similar open source BIOS/UEFI, however, I doubt it'll be implemented. AMD has been great with its open source GPU drivers, but Intel has, in ThinkPad laptops, been at the forefront with open source BIOS (granted, ThinkPad was/is IBM/Lenovo, so it's not entirely Intel behind that move, but still). It's fully possible that neither AMD nor Intel, are allowed to open source their UEFIs by the NSA, but the first company that does will see major sales of their motherboards.
    I used to buy Thinkpads exclusively because OpenBSD runs fantastic on them since Thinkpads have a cult following with OpenBSD developers and users. Meanwhile FreeBSD developers use Mac laptops and develop FreeBSD in a virtual machine making it run poorly on real laptops. FreeBSD is really like totally a server OS even though most people don't think OpenBSD when it comes to desktops.

TLDR;

Thinkpads might have OpenSource BIOS firmware because it has a cult following with OpenBSD people.
    "I am inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa” because “all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours, whereas all the testing says, not really.” -- James Watson (founding father of modern genetics).

"Give me a lever long enough to stand on I can lift the world"--Archimedes (if you don't understand the not literal meaning of that comment then you are innumerate most likely)

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

Quote Originally Posted by DracoSentien View Post
    I don't mind buying intel if the price is right and it does not have a nvidia gpu. That is what capitalism is all about. If I go into the store and the AMD laptops they have are more expensive or crappier , in certain aspects, I am not going to buy them. I bought a Lenovo Ideapad for 330 dollars with an 8th generation core i3 (I don't game and shit), 4 Gigs of Ram and a 1 terabyte hard drive. It's hard to beat that price for a new laptop.
    Nvidia is a plague on mankind and anti-people. Few tech brands are as much iGnorant iDiot as Apple, and Nvidia is right up there with the iPhone. Linus Torvalds was right in giving Nvidia the finger

If you befriend someone who owns a computer with Nvidia hardware, that's as good an indication as any to stay away from that person. And the Nintendo Switch should be boycotted too for having Nvidia inside it.

Funny thing is that AMD is pwning Nvidia now; I hear Nvidia is ditching G-Sync and selling FreeSync monitors these days, lol.

I don't flame war on AMD vs Intel rather I set my sights on flaming against Nvidia because they drivers are non-opensource so they don't work on OpenBSD at all and they only work on Linux with closed proprietary firmware drivers.
    While Intel generally has good support for open source drivers, and that's great, Intel should be flamed for being a monopoly with Shylock prices. AMD is pro-people with both great prices and open source drivers, and with Ryzen they did a major comeback with great hardware too, and Intel can't really keep up with AMD now. I predict that AMD will bankrupt Intel soon. Intel is another iDiot brand. It's no coincidence that Apple only sells Macs with Intel processors, and they're all i7 and so on. That mandatory i stands for iGnorant iDiot. I hope Apple never sells hardware with AMD CPUs, that would cheapen the AMD brand.

I got rid of Debian (it is more of a server OS) and put Linux Mint on my laptop because Slackware has not had a new release , in ages, and with the cinnamon desktop it is hyper fast and non-bloated unlike Windows 10 and gnome 3 heavy desktops.
    Linux Mint is crap. Why use it when there's Ubuntu MATE? Or better yet, Trisquel, which I'll admit is a bit too autistic with the free software / open source requirements, to the point that on a default installation it doesn't even allow repositories that distribute proprietary software, which is a good thing but also means you can't install something like Firefox, lol.

Anyway it's funny that you've been ranting for years against Linux and systemd, and now you're using the most Windows-like and n00b distro out there, Linux Mint, lolol.

Slackware with KDE would be hyperfast too but they have not had a new release in years like I said.
    I can't stand KDE. I actually used to prefer KDE back in 2005, now I prefer MATE.

You can disable the UEFI and set it to legacy boot in most BIOS settings. That is what I did because it is easier to install Linux that way and to install OpenBSD it might be a must do setting.
    Thanks for the advice, but I'm not a complete n00b. I enable legacy BIOS sometimes, when it's needed.

I used to buy Thinkpads exclusively because OpenBSD runs fantastic on them since Thinkpads have a cult following with OpenBSD developers and users. Meanwhile FreeBSD developers use Mac laptops and develop FreeBSD in a virtual machine making it run poorly on real laptops. FreeBSD is really like totally a server OS even though most people don't think OpenBSD when it comes to desktops.

TLDR;

Thinkpads might have OpenSource BIOS firmware because it has a cult following with OpenBSD people.
    I've run a FreeBSD server in the past, good stuff.

AMD is more pro-open source than Intel, I'd say.
    Last edited by EliasAlucard; 2019-06-05 at 21:01. Reason: typo
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

“Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

“The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

“Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

Molecular Biologist DracoSentien's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:56
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    Queen Victoria's H
    Race
    Caucasian
    Metaethnos
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    pantheist

Nvidia is a plague on mankind and anti-people. Few tech brands are as much iGnorant iDiot as Apple, and Nvidia is right up there with the iPhone. Linus Torvalds was right in giving Nvidia the finger

If you befriend someone who owns a computer with Nvidia hardware, that's as good an indication as any to stay away from that person. And the Nintendo Switch should be boycotted too for having Nvidia inside it.

Funny thing is that AMD is pwning Nvidia now; I hear Nvidia is ditching G-Sync and selling FreeSync monitors these days, lol.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Elias
    While Intel generally has good support for open source drivers, and that's great, Intel should be flamed for being a monopoly with Shylock prices. AMD is pro-people with both great prices and open source drivers, and with Ryzen they did a major comeback with great hardware too, and Intel can't really keep up with AMD now. I predict that AMD will bankrupt Intel soon. Intel is another iDiot brand. It's no coincidence that Apple only sells Macs with Intel processors, and they're all i7 and so on. That mandatory i stands for iGnorant iDiot. I hope Apple never sells hardware with AMD CPUs, that would cheapen the AMD brand.
    As long as the intel processors perform well and are not as bad as nvidia in regard to firmware I don't really care I buy when the price is right and the other hardware meets my need that is not being an iGnorant iDiot. What is being an iGnorant iDiot is claiming intel is a monopoly when just in your prior post you said AMD was doing well. You contradict yourself.

Linux Mint is crap. Why use it when there's Ubuntu MATE? Or better yet, Trisquel, which I'll admit is a bit too autistic with the free software / open source requirements, to the point that on a default installation it doesn't even allow repositories that distribute proprietary software, which is a good thing but also means you can't install something like Firefox, lol.
    Linux mint is basically ubuntu but I think Ubuntu is going to going to die someday because Mark Shuttleworth tried all kinds of things to make money on his investment in Ubuntu but failed unlike Redhat with it's Fedora offshoot. If Ubuntu goes under Linux mint will carry the torch.

Anyway it's funny that you've been ranting for years against Linux and systemd, and now you're using the most Windows-like and n00b distro out there, Linux Mint, lolol.
    The external stuff is n00b but the internal stuff I can do all the advanced stuff I want from the CLI even though most mint users will touch the CLI. Also, firefox is not proprietary software that is why it is currently the best browser as it is the best for privacy reasons as all other browsers , including chromium, have sold out to people like google to steal your information. Also, Trisquel would be a pain in the ass , probably, but I'll take a closer look at it. I really want to use slackware but slackware-current isn't always stable to track. I tried using the last release of slackware but it is so old it would not let me install the Linux 5.X kernel so it could support my newer hardware. It would not work on my laptop.

I had Debian on here before I installed Mint and it has older packages. It felt hyper stable and secure like a tank , basically for a server, but Mint and Slackware feel like Ferraris in comparison.
    I can't stand KDE. I actually used to prefer KDE back in 2005, now I prefer MATE.
    KDE is not even a desktop it is like a collection of apps with a plasma shell that is infinitely tweakable and is less bloated than Gnome. It's for power users and slackware ships with it and does not ship with gnome.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not a complete n00b. I enable legacy BIOS sometimes, when it's needed.

I've run a FreeBSD server in the past, good stuff.

AMD is more pro-open source than Intel, I'd say.
    1.) You are welcome

2.) I love FreeBSD but it works better on PCs , as a workstation, and servers and does not work well on laptops. Paradoxically enough OpenBSD runs better on laptops than FreeBSD and NetBSD is for all intents and purposes dead.

3.) probably but one consumer like me is not going to make a dent in the overall state of affairs.
    Last edited by DracoSentien; 2019-06-05 at 18:58.
    "I am inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa” because “all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours, whereas all the testing says, not really.” -- James Watson (founding father of modern genetics).

"Give me a lever long enough to stand on I can lift the world"--Archimedes (if you don't understand the not literal meaning of that comment then you are innumerate most likely)

Last Online
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    Queen Victoria's H
    Race
    Caucasian
    Metaethnos
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    pantheist

Anyway it's funny that you've been ranting for years against Linux and systemd, and now you're using the most Windows-like ane n00b distro out there, Linux Mint, lolol.
    Linux mint is so much like Ubuntu it shows that I am using Ubuntu on this forum in the operating system corner of my posts. Calling Mint crap is like calling Ubuntu crap.

Anyway, I had Debian on here but Debian is so much for a server that when I tried to get out of KDE or Gnome 3 and use a Window Manager, like CWM and Ratpoison (hardcore Unix Geek shit), when trying to switch to these from the GUI manager it froze on me. Servers run headless and often without Graphical user interfaces plus I heard people claim this release of Debian is more buggy than others. My trackpad did not work right, it was slow, in Debian. It works flawlessly, from the beginning, in Mint.

Also, since Arch Linux switched to SystemD I could not get my wifi to work during install. Arch Linux is living meme like Gentoo ricers. My distro of choice is Slackware. When Slackware makes a new release I'll switch to that and use CWM (tiling window manager) all day long.

These are the distros I tried before settling on Mint : Fedora, Debian, Suse (only the current bleeding edge one worked), Slackware, and Arch Linux.

The problem with Linux, compared to BSD, is there are a million distros and none of them are perfect for me for that reason. So since not even Mint is perfect I feel like sticking with it, for now, because that is just the way shit is in Linux and since Mint is the most popular distro it will see the most attention which means it should work well.

Also, Fedora is bleeding edge (not stable) and makes you download 2 gigs of updates constantly.
    Last edited by DracoSentien; 2019-06-05 at 19:19.

Last Online
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    Queen Victoria's H
    Race
    Caucasian
    Metaethnos
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    pantheist

Also, Elias I don't feel like installing Ubuntu over Mint just because you recommend it. To an advanced user like me (who has been using Linux since 1997 on and off with BSD in between) there wouldn't be a profound enough difference to matter unlike Ubuntu/Mint vs Arch Linux and Slackware.

I would try to try to troubleshoot the problem I had with my wifi with systemd , in arch linux, but Arch Linux is way more unstable than slackware so it would be a waste of my time. BSD gave me a craving taste for stability over bleeding edge. I don't care how fast something is if it comes at the cost of stability or security it is stupid and Arch Linux is inherently unstable.

Last Online
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    Queen Victoria's H
    Race
    Caucasian
    Metaethnos
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    pantheist

Well, you should know that the settings for turning on virtualization technology are in the BIOS that is important if you are going to run a virutal machine to run other operating systems within your main operating system.

Anyway, I think I am going to install MXLinux over my current setup of Mint since it is the most popular distro of Linux right now and it is probably less n00b than Mint.

MX Linux, a desktop-oriented Linux distribution based on Debian's "stable" branch, is a cooperative venture between the antiX and former MEPIS Linux communities. Using Xfce as the default desktop, it is a mid-weight operating system designed to combine an elegant and efficient desktop with simple configuration, high stability, solid performance and medium-sized footprint.

I don't have a super duper high-end laptop it is more like a budget laptop (but all laptops are powerful nowadays relatively speaking to the olden days). So XFCE medium footprint fits the bill.

If if you want I can do a review of MXLinux and post it here.

Also, you might not know it but Linux can now run Android apps on the desktop. I know that because I am into android programming development. You don't need an entire virtualization system now to do it.

Anyway, I am going to install MXLinux rather than Arch or Manjaro because I think these people are newschool douchebags who for dumb reasons think Arch is elite rather than Slackware or OpenBSD. Also, because my past experience with arch linux tells me it is a highly unstable bleeding edge distro or at least highly unstable compared to slackware and Debian stable .
    Last edited by DracoSentien; 2019-06-06 at 18:56.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7