Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Lithuania Grand Duchy

Default Choosing a puppy!

Requirements

Middle size
    We live on a block of land 600 sq m
    We are looking for a pet that doesn't need to be a guard or a working dog.

I am looking at miniature poodle or border collie. We like border collie dogs which have seen. The owners of the dog are saying the dogs are supper active needing plenty of space.

Do you have other dogs in mind?

Border Collie

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rugevit For This Useful Post:

An Shigao (2017-03-06)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-07-12 @ 23:02
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b2a1a1 (A2423+)
    mtDNA
    U3a1a(1)
    Race
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Politics
    laissez faire
    Religion
    Metalhead
    Poland Lithuania Grand Duchy

Border Collie.

Else get a Jack Russel Terrier and get a Tasmanian Devil in small Terrier's body

and the IEEE Milestone for breaking the Enigma Code goes to... Polish Cipher Bureau 1932-39

“We know each other,” he agreed. “They say that you follow in my steps.”
    “I go my own way. But you, you had never, until just now, looked behind you. You turned back today for the first time.”
    Geralt remained silent. Tired, he had nothing to say. “How... How will it happen?” he asked her at last, coldly and without emotion. “I will take you by the hand,” she replied, looking him straight in the eye. “I will take you by the hand and lead you across the meadow, through a cold and wet fog.” “And after? What is there beyond the fog?” “Nothing,” she replied, smiling. “After that, there is nothing.”
    ― Andrzej Sapkowski
    Świat się zmienia, słońce zachodzi, a wódka się kończy [The world is changing, sun is setting and we're running out of Vodka.]
    ― Andrzej Sapkowski

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pioterus For This Useful Post:

An Shigao (2017-03-06), Rugevit (2017-03-05)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:02
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Lithuania Grand Duchy

I like both dogs. I may get two of them the poodle and border collie, so both have friends.

Awesome dog!

Last edited by Rugevit; 2017-03-05 at 07:18.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rugevit For This Useful Post:

An Shigao (2017-03-06)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Lithuania Grand Duchy

Quote Originally Posted by Pioterus View Post
    Border Collie.

Else get a Jack Russel Terrier and get a Tasmanian Devil in small Terrier's body

Do you know that Ogar Polski is actually Belarusian Hunter dog? During 50-60s a certain Pole came to Belarus to look for the type of dog around Navahrudak. Now, Poland call the dog Ogar Polski.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rugevit For This Useful Post:

An Shigao (2017-03-06)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-07-12 @ 23:02
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b2a1a1 (A2423+)
    mtDNA
    U3a1a(1)
    Race
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Politics
    laissez faire
    Religion
    Metalhead
    Poland Lithuania Grand Duchy

Quote Originally Posted by Rugevit View Post
    Do you know that Ogar Polski is actually Belarusian Hunter dog? During 50-60s a certain Pole came to Belarus to look for the type of dog around Navahrudak. Now, Poland call the dog Ogar Polski.
    Quite possible. The question is how would we define Polish? Ethnically or Culturally? In case of RON "polish" meant more a cultural than ethnical thing IMO.
    and the IEEE Milestone for breaking the Enigma Code goes to... Polish Cipher Bureau 1932-39

“We know each other,” he agreed. “They say that you follow in my steps.”
    “I go my own way. But you, you had never, until just now, looked behind you. You turned back today for the first time.”
    Geralt remained silent. Tired, he had nothing to say. “How... How will it happen?” he asked her at last, coldly and without emotion. “I will take you by the hand,” she replied, looking him straight in the eye. “I will take you by the hand and lead you across the meadow, through a cold and wet fog.” “And after? What is there beyond the fog?” “Nothing,” she replied, smiling. “After that, there is nothing.”
    ― Andrzej Sapkowski
    Świat się zmienia, słońce zachodzi, a wódka się kończy [The world is changing, sun is setting and we're running out of Vodka.]
    ― Andrzej Sapkowski

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pioterus For This Useful Post:

An Shigao (2017-03-06), Rugevit (2017-03-05)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Lithuania Grand Duchy

Quote Originally Posted by Pioterus View Post
    Quite possible. The question is how would we define Polish? Ethnically or Culturally? In case of RON "polish" meant more a cultural than ethnical thing IMO.
    'Polski Ogar' is the name of the breed. The original name maybe Lithuanian (Belarusian) hunter. It's a fact a certain actually known Pole ( I can't remember his name) came to Belarus after WWII looking for the lost breed. He found it naming Polski Ogar.

Established Member
    CIVIS ROMANVS SVM
    Last Online
    @
    med - MENA
    Religion
    Physics

Since you don't live in a tiny place, you should get two dogs if they are paired up correctly (compatible "personalities"). While each breed have certain behavioural characteristics, each dog is unique so you will still have to assess each dog's temperament.
    You should go with the breeds you want in my opinion but be open to other breeds (or plain mutts) if you don't click with the ones you had initially in mind.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tsukonin For This Useful Post:

Rugevit (2017-03-05)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Lithuania Grand Duchy

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukonin View Post
    Since you don't live in a tiny place, you should get two dogs if they are paired up correctly (compatible "personalities"). While each breed have certain behavioural characteristics, each dog is unique so you will still have to assess each dog's temperament.
    You should go with the breeds you want in my opinion but be open to other breeds (or plain mutts) if you don't click with the ones you had initially in mind.
    The best dog we had was a mutt. She was a girl, who was intelligent and loyal. Many years have passed and we still remember her. Dad brought a puppy from work. His colleague's dog had puppies, so she offered us one.

Dogs have different personalities regardless of their pedigree. I am a realist. We won’t be getting the same dog ago. Two dogs is an option. Both girls , or both boys? Girl and boy?

Established Member
    CIVIS ROMANVS SVM
    Last Online
    @
    med - MENA
    Religion
    Physics

I agree, mutts can be very nice dogs and usually without breed-specific illnesses and conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugevit View Post
    We won’t be getting the same dog ago. Two dogs is an option. Both girls , or both boys? Girl and boy?
    I wouldn't be able to answer you as I've only had female dogs (two or three at the same time). It seems like two boys should be avoided but I guess it depends on the personalities again as well as if they are neutered or not.
    Even between the females I've had, one was more dominant in some circumstances. And hierarchy isn't set in stone, it can change over the years.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Ethnicity
    Persian
    Religion
    Buddhist
    United States

If you decide to get a border collie, you should raise him well from puppy hood by reading some books. They are also very smart dogs that like to have jobs, etc.

My friend recommended Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson and Before and After Getting Your Puppy by Ian Dunbar. Reading these would give good basics to teach the best behaviors to your puppy. These habits will exist throughout adulthood.

Also, for nutritional advice, the best dry food is either Orijen or Fromm. You want it to be grain-free, have no meat-by-products, and protein source to come healthy pastured animals.

I recommend also looking into commercial raw diets (e.g., Stella & Chewey's, Primal Freeze Dried formula) and raw goat milk (e.g., Primal Freeze Dried formula has one).

Brands like Purina, Pedigree, etc. are terrible. Mars Inc. and Nestle own most of the brands you see in supermarkets.
    Last edited by An Shigao; 2017-03-06 at 18:54.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to An Shigao For This Useful Post:

Pioterus (2017-03-06), Rugevit (2017-03-06)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast