Religion
    pantheist
    United States Northern Ireland Germany Scotland Ireland England

Lightbulb Prove math theorem become millionaire

Who wants to be a millionaire ?

The most famous conjecture, in mathematics, is Pierre De Fermat's :

Xn+Yn=Zn

It was solved by Andrew Wiles in the 90s

It has no solutions with X,Y,Z and n positive whole numbers with n greater than 2.

However, Fermat has another conjecture, widely thought to be false by many, that a banker in Dallas Texas named Andrew Beal will pay you a million dollars if you can prove this equation has no solutions for which p,q,and r are all greater than 3 and A,B,C and share no prime factor :

Ap+Bq=Cr

I think the theory is true, because perfect powers are probably random or are random.

Mathematics is high art, like sculpture not music or paintings and logic is to math what structure is to sculpture.

Solving this will take avante-garde math with novel approaches because we probably need to understand something new about numbers before we or I solve it.
    Last edited by ThePendragon; 2017-03-16 at 01:40.
    American of Scots-Irish or Ulster Ancestry :

'I am a Scotsman', Sir Walter Scott once famously wrote, ' therefore I had to fight my way into the world'.

"Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind.” --Winston Churchill(England)

"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.” --Voltaire(France)

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ThePendragon's Avatar
    Last Online
    2017-07-26 @ 22:31
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    H
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Metaethnos
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    mainstream American
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    pantheist

These sorts of things are like never solved by non-mathematician outsiders because the masses do not do math like a mathematician. If you are not a mathematician and want at least a remote chance of solving it I recommend the book :

Mathematics in 10 lessons : The Grand Tour by Jerry P. King

Despite the title this is not a book about math you learned in elementary school.

Mathematicians rarely write for outsiders so this is the only book I know that teaches the masses how to actually do math like a mathematician.

You won't solve the conjecture with just that one book unless you are a super genius you will probably need other books but that one is indispensable unless you went to graduate school for math.

Good luck ! A millionaire dollars is nothing to sneeze at.
    Last edited by ThePendragon; 2017-03-16 at 01:37.

'I am a Scotsman', Sir Walter Scott once famously wrote, ' therefore I had to fight my way into the world'.

"Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind.” --Winston Churchill(England)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2018-12-04 @ 07:13
    R1b-SRY 2627 - A7080
    mtDNA
    H5a1f
    Phenotype
    Archaic Nomenclature
    Politics
    Not a Fan
    GEDmatch
    M202348
    United States Germany Poland Poland Volhynia Switzerland Scotland

Wow what a waste of time. You must really be poor as living near NYC having a million dollars is almost nothing. I already have million dollars in equity as I own a home in a NYC suburb. It would need to be a billion dollars for most people in NYC metro to blink an eye.

Now in India, China and even rural PA or Iowa a million dollars is a lot of money.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ThePendragon's Avatar
    Last Online
    2017-07-26 @ 22:31
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    H
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Metaethnos
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    mainstream American
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    pantheist

Quote Originally Posted by thetick View Post
    Wow what a waste of time. You must really be poor as living near NYC having a million dollars is almost nothing. I already have million dollars in equity as I own a home in a NYC suburb. It would need to be a billion dollars for most people in NYC metro to blink an eye.

Now in India, China and even rural PA or Iowa a million dollars is a lot of money.
    Stop trolling, people who want to solve the problem will do it just not for the money but to advance mankind, maybe get a Fields medal, they like a challenge and because they like math.

I just posted that because I am interested in math. Only reason I mentioned the money was to help motivate people a bit more. I mean who can knock the green stuff ? An extra million is not a bad extra chunk of change to add to anyone's bank account, though, some more than others.

That you think it is a waste of time to advance mathematics says you are stupid.
    Last edited by ThePendragon; 2017-03-16 at 06:30.

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 14:45
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Lithuania Grand Duchy

Grigori Perlman is among the greatest geometrists of our time. He won Field's medal - the highest award for a mathematician - for solving Poincaré conjecture. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poincar%C3%A9_conjecture

Grigori was awarded a million dollar in prize for solving the conjecture. He refused to take $1mln saying he is not worthy. In refusing the award he was living with his Mum in a small apartment unable to invite mathematician guests to his apartment. He was a poor man.

A handful mathematicians could follow the proof when the proof was presented : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigor...llennium_Prize

Terrence Tao is another greatest mathematician of our time, who is also Field's medal winner. Terrence presented Perlman's proof . But he struggled a little bit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Tao

He's is an exercise for you. Find the problem in Terrence's proof of Perlman's proof of Poincaré conjecture https://arxiv.org/pdf/math/0610903.pdf
    Last edited by Rugevit; 2017-03-16 at 07:13.

Established Member
    Last Online
    2018-12-04 @ 07:13
    R1b-SRY 2627 - A7080
    mtDNA
    H5a1f
    Phenotype
    Archaic Nomenclature
    Politics
    Not a Fan
    GEDmatch
    M202348
    United States Germany Poland Poland Volhynia Switzerland Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by ThePendragon View Post
    That you think it is a waste of time to advance mathematics says you are stupid.
    Math is not some holy shrine. It is a tool invented by engineers and scientists to explain our world. I had more "real" math in college with an Electrical Engineering degree then any math major. Seriously I knew math majors and they would spend 95% of their time proving theorems that have already been proven. Engineers and scientists on the other hand use many specialized mathematical models most of which math majors never learn as they are too busy proving what we already know.

"Real" math is used to build safe bridges, explain magnetic/nuclear / quantum / chemical electrical/ gravitational etc...interactions basicly modeling and understanding real world phenomena. Proving some number theory bullshit already known is a waste of a very intelligent person. It is as useful in the real world as a humanities degree.
    Last edited by thetick; 2017-03-17 at 01:13.