User Tag List

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: MyHeritageDNA FREE ethnicity reports from autosomal transfer871 days old

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Default MyHeritageDNA FREE ethnicity reports from autosomal transfer

yep! I uploaded my ftdna raw data in March and now I have got a free report.

It looks acceptable, the regions are spot on for me, the only weird thing was the high "central american" pop., but when I read the description it seams like it is a "mestizo" population they are using as reference, then it would make sense.

Later I'll post my report.
    Adieu

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kriptc06 For This Useful Post:

Aino (2017-08-15), JaM (2017-05-30), kevinbrook (2017-05-30)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

My interpretation:

South Europe
    >Self Explanatory

East Europe
    >My Russian side

North and West Europe
    >Probrably Celtiberian
    >And my Flemish Azorean side.

Ashkenazim
    >Oh, well, that must have came with my eastern euro side.

America
    >Basically half of this is Iberian, as this is a "mestizo" component

Africa
    >No comments

Asia
    >Yep, also came with my eastern euro side, turkic, I know it well, but I was surprised it actually showed, I always get balkanic or something else.
    Last edited by Kriptc06; 2017-05-30 at 23:33.
    Adieu

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kriptc06 For This Useful Post:

dddcc (2017-05-31), JaM (2017-06-06), Litvin (2017-07-01), THELOVEBELOW (2017-05-31)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Doggerlandic
    Ethnicity
    South Norse
    Phenotype
    Kostenkioid
    Politics
    Relativism
    Religion
    None
    Denmark Viking Finland Spain Castile

I have wondered about that high "Central American" score some people have gotten, it seems people interpret the results as indigenous Central American. Now that you can upload your raw data for free, it could be interesting to see some comparisons especially between Native American score in 23andMe/AncestryDNA and MyHeritageDNA. I think a central American mestizo reference is kind of a strange choice, since that's a kind of info people already have, and it can include many Euro ethnicities for which there are references as well, so it doesn't really make sense to me. It was my impression that it had more detailed NA references, but if it has a strange, already mixed reference, then it becomes even less detailed that the others.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    I have wondered about that high "Central American" score some people have gotten, it seems people interpret the results as indigenous Central American. Now that you can upload your raw data for free, it could be interesting to see some comparisons especially between Native American score in 23andMe/AncestryDNA and MyHeritageDNA. I think a central American mestizo reference is kind of a strange choice, since that's a kind of info people already have, and it can include many Euro ethnicities for which there are references as well, so it doesn't really make sense to me. It was my impression that it had more detailed NA references, but if it has a strange, already mixed reference, then it becomes even less detailed that the others.
    Yes, its rather odd to have a mestizo reference, this what it says when i click central american:

Central American
    The largest population of Central America, spanning from Mexico to Colombia and Venezuela, is of Mestizo descent - a mixture of Spanish, Native American, and African ancestry. Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic, interestingly, have a greater Caucasian population, representing European migration. In contrast, indigenous Central Americans are Mayans, the descendants of the advanced Mayan civilization of pre-Colombian times. Ancient Central American civilizations produced many important innovations, including pyramid construction, complex mathematical and astronomical observations, early forms of medical surgery, accurate calendar systems, and complex agricultural methods. In contemporary society, many people with Central American ethnicity have settled among the nations in South America, reaching as far south as Uruguay and Argentina.
    Adieu

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kriptc06 For This Useful Post:

JaM (2017-05-30)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Doggerlandic
    Ethnicity
    South Norse
    Phenotype
    Kostenkioid
    Politics
    Relativism
    Religion
    None
    Denmark Viking Finland Spain Castile

Wow, it could hardly be any more ambiguously written.
    have a greater Caucasian population, representing European migration
    I don't like the use of "Caucasian" there, it should be European, because in this context Caucasian usually refer to an origin from the Caucasus or thereabouts (in the other companies tests). There's a significant genomic differentiation between ME/North Africa/Caucasus and European, depending on which references they use, so "Caucasian" just does not make sense as an origin via Europe. The quote also suggests that Indigenous Central Americans are all Mayans(?)

I can't help but wonder how a South American (with significant indigenous heritage) would test in MyHeritageDNA.

Last Online
    2019-02-16 @ 10:58
    E-L117
    mtDNA
    H7j1
    Ethnicity
    mostly Ashkenazic
    GEDmatch
    T544042
    Israel Star of David Poland Ukraine Belarus Lithuania United States

MyHeritage DNA estimates as of May 30, 2017:

mine:
    97.3% Ashkenazi Jewish
    2.7% English

my mom:
    91.2% Ashkenazi Jewish
    3.9% Irish, Scottish, and Welsh
    2.0% North and West European
    0.9% East European
    1.1% North African
    0.9% Mizrahi Jewish - Iranian/Iraqi

my dad:
    90.7% Ashkenazi Jewish
    3.4% Balkan
    1.4% East European
    2.2% North African
    1.1% Sephardic Jewish - North African
    1.2% Middle Eastern

Most of this is correct for our origins and/or understandable in terms of DNA shared across populations.
    The vast majority of our DNA segments clearly originated with Ashkenazic Jews.
    My mom does share a DNA segment with a Mizrahi Jew from Azerbaijan lacking Ashkenazic admixture and that population originated in Iran.
    My dad does share DNA segments with North African Jews who have Sephardic admixture, and some of my dad's DNA is indeed of Sephardic origin.
    My dad does share DNA segments with Polish Catholics lacking Ashkenazic admixture.
    Both my mom and dad have above-average amounts of total Slavic admixture.
    All Ashkenazic Jews have small amounts of deeply-rooted North African DNA.

But the British Isles estimates are way off! We have no British ancestry at all, and no other calculator assigns any to us.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kevinbrook For This Useful Post:

dddcc (2017-05-31), Kriptc06 (2017-05-30), Pioterus (2017-06-01), Targum (2017-05-30)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbrook View Post
    MyHeritage DNA estimates as of May 30, 2017:

mine:
    97.3% Ashkenazi Jewish
    2.7% English

my mom:
    91.2% Ashkenazi Jewish
    3.9% Irish, Scottish, and Welsh
    2.0% North and West European
    0.9% East European
    1.1% North African
    0.9% Mizrahi Jewish - Iranian/Iraqi

my dad:
    90.7% Ashkenazi Jewish
    3.4% Balkan
    1.4% East European
    2.2% North African
    1.1% Sephardic Jewish - North African
    1.2% Middle Eastern

Most of this is correct for our origins and/or understandable in terms of DNA shared across populations.
    The vast majority of our DNA segments clearly originated with Ashkenazic Jews.
    My mom does share a DNA segment with a Mizrahi Jew from Azerbaijan lacking Ashkenazic admixture and that population originated in Iran.
    My dad does share DNA segments with North African Jews who have Sephardic admixture, and some of my dad's DNA is indeed of Sephardic origin.
    My dad does share DNA segments with Polish Catholics lacking Ashkenazic admixture.
    Both my mom and dad have above-average amounts of total Slavic admixture.
    All Ashkenazic Jews have small amounts of deeply-rooted North African DNA.

But the British Isles estimates are way off! We have no British ancestry at all, and no other calculator assigns any to us.
    hello, I scored 3,5% ashkenazim, do you think this is real?
    Adieu

Last Online
    2019-02-16 @ 10:58
    E-L117
    mtDNA
    H7j1
    Ethnicity
    mostly Ashkenazic
    GEDmatch
    T544042
    Israel Star of David Poland Ukraine Belarus Lithuania United States

Quote Originally Posted by Kriptc06 View Post
    hello, I scored 3,5% ashkenazim, do you think this is real?
    It's possible. You said you do have some roots in places like Russia, Ukraine, Moldova, Morocco, Algeria, Spain, and the Azores Islands, and some ethnicities in the Americas.

Ashkenazic DNA is sometimes discovered among Christian Europeans who didn't know they had it, such as Prussian Germans, Russians, Austrians, Ukrainians, Poles, etc.
    Sephardic DNA is sometimes discovered among Latin Americans who didn't know they had it, such as Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Colombians, Brazilians, etc. and also among Mediterranean Europeans like Azoreans, Sicilians, and Spaniards.

Are you getting any "full" Ashkenazic or Sephardic matches in MyHeritageDNA, Family Finder, or GEDmatch?
    Also see my post http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/sho...91#post1295291

What are your estimates according to MyOrigins 2.0?
    Your MyOrigins 1.0 and DNA Land estimates are no longer visible at http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/sho...esults-Finally because the images have been deleted. I suggest you post a new message there with your current estimates from those sites.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kevinbrook For This Useful Post:

Kriptc06 (2017-05-31)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbrook View Post
    It's possible. You said you do have some roots in places like Russia, Ukraine, Moldova, Morocco, Algeria, Spain, and the Azores Islands, and some ethnicities in the Americas.
    What are your estimates according to MyOrigins 2.0?
    Your MyOrigins 1.0 and DNA Land estimates are no longer visible at http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/sho...esults-Finally because the images have been deleted. I suggest you post a new message there with your current estimates from those sites.

Ashkenazic DNA is sometimes discovered among Christian Europeans who didn't know they had it, such as Prussian Germans, Russians, Austrians, Ukrainians, Poles, etc.
    Sephardic DNA is sometimes discovered among Latin Americans who didn't know they had it, such as Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Colombians, Brazilians, etc. and also among Mediterranean Europeans like Azoreans, Sicilians, and Spaniards.

Are you getting any "full" Ashkenazic or Sephardic matches in MyHeritageDNA or the other commercial sites?
    Also see my post http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/sho...91#post1295291
    I cant tell if I get jewish matches, I just dont know, but I get 6 Rothschild persons on gedmatch as a match, we are like 6th cousins..
    My ftdna 2.0:

Adieu

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist THELOVEBELOW's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:57
    I2a1a
    mtDNA
    L3e1a2
    Metaethnos
    New World Black / AA
    Ethnicity