User Tag List

Thread: Elon Musk: We'll create a city on Mars with a million inhabitants788 days old

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ~Elizabeth~'s Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    H1c12
    Politics
    Trump 2020
    United States

Default Elon Musk: We'll create a city on Mars with a million inhabitants

By Sarah Knapton, Science Editor

21 June 2017 • 5:09pm

A city on Mars with a million inhabitants could be achievable within 50 years, the space entrepreneur Elon Musk has forecast, as he laid out plans to turn mankind into a multi-planetary species.

The SpaceX founder warned that humans would need to venture away from Earth to avoid a ‘Doomsday event’ and our ‘eventual extinction.’

But he said that a huge Martian city could be established this century, which would not just be an outpost, but a fully functioning society with ‘iron foundries and pizza joints.’

Musk is already planning the first manned flight to Mars in 2023 and has said he wants to die on Mars, although he has stipulated ‘not on impact.’

Under new plans released in the journal New Space, the billionaire said he hoped to build a ‘Mars Colonial Fleet’ of more than one thousand cargo ships which would depart ‘en masse’ could transport 200 passengers at a time, along with materials to build homes, industrial plants and shops.

He estimated that the first colonists could begin setting out in a decade, and said it would take between 40 and 100 years to ship enough people over to Mars to populate a city.

“I think there are really two fundamental paths. One path is we stay on Earth forever, and then there will be some eventual extinction. The alternative is to become a space-bearing civilisation and a multi-planetary species,” he said.

“The threshold for a self-sustaining city on Mars or a civilization would be a million people. If you can only go every two years and if you have 100 people per ship, that is 10,000 trips.

“Therefore, at least 100 people per trip is the right order of magnitude, and we may end up expanding the crew section and ultimately taking more like 200 or more people per flight in order to reduce the cost per person.”

Describing the journey, he added: “It has got to be really fun and exciting. It cannot feel cramped and boring. Therefore the crew compartment or the occupant compartment is set up so that you can do zero-gravity games. You can float around.

“There will be movies, lecture halls, cabins and a restaurant. It will be really fun to go. You are going to have a great time.”

Nasa has also said it is planning to establish a Mars colonyby the 2030s although plans to establish a base on the Moon first and to create ‘deep-space habitation facilities’ which will act as stepping stones to the Red Planet.

Probes and robotic rovers like Curiosity have already been on or around Mars for 40 years. The Mars One project, set up by a nonprofit organization based in the Netherlands has proposed to land the first humans on Mars and establish a permanent human colony there by 2027.

Musk said that Mars is a far better option than the Moon to start a new city because it has a day which is just 30 minutes longer than Earth, ‘decent sunlight’ and a ‘very helpful’ atmosphere which when slightly compressed, can support plant life.

He added: “It would be quite fun to be on mars because you would have gravity that is about 37 per cent of that of Earth, so you would be able to lift heavy things and bound around.”

Although the current cost of sending a person to Mars is around $10 billion, Musk calculates that by fuelling cargo ships in space using tankers travelling from the Earth, the cost could be brought down to around $100,000 per person. He envisages building methane plants on Mars which could fuel rockets for the trip back to Earth, a journey which he estimates will take as little as 30 days in the future.

“It would be pretty absurd to try and build a city on Mars if your spaceships just stayed on mars and did not go back to Earth,” he said. “You would have a massive graveyard of ships. You want to build a propellant plant and send the ships back.”

Musk, who is thought to be worth around $13 billion, said he was gathering wealth to pay for the ambitious project.

“The main reason I am personally accumulating assets is in order to fund this,” he said.

“I really do not have any other motivation for personally accumulating assets except to be able to make the biggest contribution I can to making life multi-planetary.

“In 2002, SpaceX basically consisted of carpet and a mariachi band. That was it. I thought we had maybe a 10 per cent chance of doing anything—of even getting a rocket to orbit, let alone getting beyond that and taking Mars seriously.”

The new giant Mars Vehicle rocket will have more than three times the lift-off thrust as the Saturn V rockets used in the Apollo mission and will be able to carry three times the payload.

SpaceX also plans to use new rockets to transport cargo around the world, estimating that it will take just 10 minutes to transport goods from New York to Tokyo.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...n-inhabitants/

Personally, I think this is a very ambitious project but it's sought after by very ambitious men so maybe it will happen.
    I'd rather stay on Earth.

Do you think it will happen?

What do you all think about having a city on Mars someday?

If you had the money and time would you want to go to Mars?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Elizabeth~ For This Useful Post:

Janos (2017-06-22)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    SD
    Religion
    Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by ~Elizabeth~ View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...n-inhabitants/

Personally, I think this is a very ambitious project but it's sought after by very ambitious men so maybe it will happen.
    I'd rather stay on Earth.

Do you think it will happen?

What do you all think about having a city on Mars someday?

If you had the money and time would you want to go to Mars?
    Why not, the earth is quickly going to Hell anyway. I'd hate to see the world in 20 years, when most of the civilized world is destroyed by Islam.
    The Future was better before

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

~Elizabeth~ (2017-06-22)

Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

Personally I agree with Bill Maher:

New Rule: Make Earth Great Again | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO):

F**k Mars | ATTN: and Real Time (HBO):

As for Musk, he's just saying that nonsense to hype up his brand.
    Last edited by EliasAlucard; 2017-06-22 at 16:55.
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

“Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

“The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

“Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EliasAlucard For This Useful Post:

Pioterus (2017-06-22), ~Elizabeth~ (2017-06-22)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-07-30 @ 07:14
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b2a1a1 (A2423+)
    mtDNA
    U3a1a(1)
    Race
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Politics
    laissez faire
    Religion
    Metalhead
    Poland Lithuania Grand Duchy

Stars are our destination, but before we're starborne we might see another couple of civilisations rise and fall.
    and the IEEE Milestone for breaking the Enigma Code goes to... Polish Cipher Bureau 1932-39

“We know each other,” he agreed. “They say that you follow in my steps.”
    “I go my own way. But you, you had never, until just now, looked behind you. You turned back today for the first time.”
    Geralt remained silent. Tired, he had nothing to say. “How... How will it happen?” he asked her at last, coldly and without emotion. “I will take you by the hand,” she replied, looking him straight in the eye. “I will take you by the hand and lead you across the meadow, through a cold and wet fog.” “And after? What is there beyond the fog?” “Nothing,” she replied, smiling. “After that, there is nothing.”
    ― Andrzej Sapkowski
    Świat się zmienia, słońce zachodzi, a wódka się kończy [The world is changing, sun is setting and we're running out of Vodka.]
    ― Andrzej Sapkowski

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pioterus For This Useful Post:

~Elizabeth~ (2017-06-22)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ~Elizabeth~'s Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    H1c12
    Politics
    Trump 2020
    United States

I found two more articles about colonizing Mars. I'll add them here instead of making two more threads.
    Professor Stephen Hawkin and Astronaut Buzz Aldrin also want us humans to colonize Mars.

Stephen Hawking was speaking at the Starmus festival in Norway

Human race is doomed if we do not colonise the Moon and Mars, says Stephen Hawking

By Sarah Knapton, Science Editor

20 June 2017 • 5:11pm

The human race must start leaving Earth within 30 years to avoid being wiped out by over-population and climate change, Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.

Making an impassioned speech at the Starmus science festival in Trondheim, Norway, the astrophysicist said it was crucial to establish colonies on Mars and the Moon, and take a Noah's Ark of plants, animals, fungi and insects, to start creating a new world.

Prof Hawking said it was only a matter of time before the Earth as we know it is destroyed by an asteroid strike, soaring temperatures or over-population.

He said that becoming a 'cosmic sloth' was not an option because 'the threats are too big and too numerous.'

"I am convinced that humans need to leave earth. The Earth is becoming too small for us, our physical resources are being drained at an alarming rate."

"We have given our planet the disastrous gift of climate change, rising temperatures, the reducing of polar ice caps , deforestation and decimation of animal species.

"When we have reached similar crisis in or history there has usually been somewhere else to colonise. Columbus did it in 1492 when he discovered the new world. But now there is no new world. No Eutopia around the corner. We are running out of space and the only places to go to are other worlds."

Prof Hawking told the audience that the Earth would eventually be hit by a devastating asteroid strike.

"This is not science fiction it is guaranteed by the laws of physics and probability," he said. "To stay risks being annihilated.

"Spreading out into space will completely change the future of humanity. It may also determine whether we have any future at all.

"Wherever we go we will need to build a civilisation, we will need to take the practical means of establishing a whole new ecosystem the will survive in an environment that know very little about and we will need to consider transporting several thousands of people, animals, plants, fungi, bacteria and insects."

Prof Hawking said the Moon and Mars were the best sites to begin the first colonies, stating that a lunar base could be established within 30 years and a Martian outpost within 50. But he also suggested leaving the Solar System and venturing to our nearest star system, Alpha Centauri, where scientists believe there exists a habitable planet known as Proxima B.

The professor said nuclear fusion-powered ships propelled by light, Star Trek-style matter-antimatter reactors, or "some completely new form of energy" could allow humans to travel light years.

A small first step was already being taken by Russian billionaire Yuri Milner's Breakthrough Start Shot project, said Prof Hawking.

This envisages sending a fleet of tiny "nanocraft" carrying light sails on a four light-year journey to Alpha Centauri, the nearest star system to Earth.

The camera-equipped miniature probes, would be sent on their way by tens of gigawatts of focused power from an array of lasers, reaching their destination in about 20 years.

"If we succeed we will send a probe to Alpha Centauri within the lifetime of some of you alive today," he said.

"It is clear we are entering a new space age. We are standing at the threshold of a new era. Human colonisation and other planets is no longer science fiction, it can be science fact.

"The human race has existed a separate species for about two million years. Civilization became about 10,000 years ago and the rate of development has been steadily increasing, If humanity is to continue for another million years it relies on boldly going where noone has gone before. I hope for the best. I have to. We have no other option."

Ahead of Asteroid Day, next Friday, Professor Alan Fitzsimmons from Queen University’s Astrophysics Research Centre also warned that an asteroid collision with Earth could easily destroy a major city.

Asteroid Day commemorates the Tunguska strike in Siberian in 1908 which devastated 800 square miles.

Professor Fitzsimmons said: “It is important to know that scientists and engineers have made great strides in detecting Near-Earth Asteroids and understanding the threat posed by them.

"Over 1,800 potentially hazardous objects have been discovered so far, but there are many more waiting to be found.

“Astronomers find Near-Earth Asteroids every day and most are harmless. But it is still possible the next Tunguska would take us by surprise, and although we are much better at finding larger asteroids, that does us no good if we are not prepared to do something about them.”
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...ephen-hawking/

Astronaut Buzz Aldrin
    Now Buzz lives with Sucillon in Satellite Beach, Florida, and spends his time campaigning for greater private and government investment in space travel. He believes that the colonisation of Mars should be humanity’s central goal, and that settlements should be established of people who aren’t given the option of returning to earth.

‘I think that going to Mars and leaving again is not the right way. I’m convinced that the only purpose of going is to start to build up a settlement there. It is also the most economical way – to wait until we can do this very confidently, very completely, not real quick just to get there and come back.’

I asked him how he’d persuade people to enlist on such a dangerous voyage and got a brief glimpse into the motivation behind his own adventures – an old-fashioned sense of duty. ‘They can feel noble about it, and their time on earth will be recognised by their contribution to their country, to all of humanity, by adding to the early part of doing something.’
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/0...ism-mars-next/

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    I1-L258
    mtDNA
    H39
    Phenotype
    Appalachid
    Metaethnos
    Finnic-Baltic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Politics
    Vandalism in Rome
    Finland European Union

Technically speaking traveling to Mars is a piece of cake, but before colonizing we need to set up shopping centers and Obamacare in Mars.
    Blog: http://terheninenmaa.blogspot.fi/, with essence "Believe me, or I'll nuke you".

H39 - Thracia 1650 BC, Hungary 5000 BC
    I1 - Transdanubia 5000 BC

Three simple facts about Finns:
    1. Baltic Finnic languages (including Finnish) never came from the Volga basin along with ancestors of present-day Finns.
    2. Finnish I1 (around 30% of all Finns) has Germanic roots from the late Bronze Age or the early Iron Age.
    3. As to the Finnish prehistory we have no evidences about any Iron Age (or later) east-to-west migration, but many unquestionable evidences about west-to-east migrations.

Väinämöinen - R1a
    Lemminkäinen - I1
    Joukahainen - N

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lemminkäinen For This Useful Post:

Pioterus (2017-06-22), ~Elizabeth~ (2017-06-22)