Anglo-Saxon
    Politics
    Left-liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    United States

Might be relevant:

Do alpha males even exist?

People can belong to different hierarchies, for example; a guy who is the most vocal, dominant person in his amateur football team might be under the heel of an aggressive boss during his day job. Is he an alpha male, or not? It depends on context, obviously. Humans have many different social groups and varying roles within them, because we’re more complex. A universal “alpha” seems unlikely.

Rather than relying on aggressive dominance, humans are actually far more cooperative and social. Some evidence suggests that our friendliness and sociability is what made us so smart to begin with, so rather than being the top humans, you could argue that alpha males are something of an evolutionary throwback, the civilizational equivalent of an appendix; no longer used, just hangs around and occasionally fills everything with poison.
    But this would be my favorite quote from the article, because it's so applicable:
    It’s as if the idea of being an alpha male is very reassuring to those who lack confidence and are scared by the wider world and people in it, so want to turn the tables.
    Knowledge is consciousness of reality. Reality is the sum of the laws that govern nature and of the causes from which they flow.
    ---Ancient Egyptian proverb

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Truthcentric For This Useful Post:

DragonRouge (2018-07-12)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Male relatives J1c3
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Metaethnos
    Métis-Souriquois
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Politics
    Shawinigan Handshake
    Religion
    Atheist
    Canada Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Basque Faroe Islands Viking

Quote Originally Posted by Truthcentric View Post
    Might be relevant:

Do alpha males even exist?

But this would be my favorite quote from the article, because it's so applicable:
    That is a good quote. I find a lot of people involved in that rhetoric just want to lash out at people more successful than them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DragonRouge For This Useful Post:

beyoku (2018-07-12)

Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    2018-10-20 @ 23:44
    Race
    Europid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Metaethnos
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Iberian + Italian
    Phenotype
    Med + Alpine
    Brazil Portugal Italy

Many of the greatest minds of history weren't the stereotypical alpha: tall, muscular, good looking and extroverted.
    I think males should't care about these terms: alpha and beta.

I think males must be finantially indepent, secure of himself and that's it.
    There are many "alpha males" that are exacly like the female version of those spoiled girls: only care about gyming and getting girls. When you need someone on your side to get something out of your chest, many of the "alpha males" won't be the first option you look for.

And let's not forget something: status and money >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> alpha males.
    A guy can be beta and ugly, but if he is rich/famous, people will drove to him.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Latinus For This Useful Post:

voyager (2018-08-22)

Last Online
    2018-07-13 @ 12:54
    French Canadian

Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    No, alpha male doesn't mean that at all. Mike Tyson is an alpha male, but Brad Pitt isn't (quite the contrary actually, although he's good at playing an alpha male in films, lol), yet I'm 100% sure that most women would rather sleep with Brad Pitt, but under every single criteria, Pitt is less alpha than Tyson.

To be an alpha male, you have to be really stupid and really strong, and win fights (or wars/battles, or sports, except golf because that's not a sport and there's nothing badass about golf, lol). In other words: you have to kick ass. If you get laid based on that (and usually you will), you're an alpha male. Being ugly gives you extra alpha male points also.

If you're a beautiful guy, or even worse, intelligent, you're disqualified from alpha male certification, because there's no such thing as an alpha male who's an intelligent pretty boy, lol.
    Thing is, is most stupid animals in the wild die young. Same with animals that constantly fight. Such animals more often than not contribute little to nothing to a gene pool.

Ever watched wolves for example?

It was once a belief alpha wolves were the strongest/meanest animals - hence why people took to physically manhandling/abusing dogs to "teach them who was alpha" in "training" attempts years ago. That poorly constructed myth has long since been debunked as the alpha wolf isn't necessarily the strongest/meanest but the smartest. After all what good is an alpha wolf too stupid to lead a hunt properly, too stupid to defend territory, who constantly fights & risks injury thus slowing down the pack, or which has to pick a fight with every other wolf pack (even ones big enough to decimate its own)?

Really it's only the human - romanticized ancients (e.g. Vikings), media (e.g. Tyson) or social constructs (e.g. "hot" [often low self-esteem] girls clinging to an overly muscular tattooed arm) - species that gives the delusion stupid people that constantly have to fight are appealing.

But that image/man is not exactly the sort of guy a decent - professional, educated, etc. - woman would be proud to show her parents or family. Probably why around here, seriously no offense, the by far typical person that fits that gotta-fight (meathead) criteria is a trailer trash & welfare.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dorcha For This Useful Post:

beyoku (2018-07-13), Menelik (2018-08-22), Silesian (2018-07-25), voyager (2018-08-22)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2018-09-14 @ 05:12
    Y-DNA
    R1b-A228
    mtDNA
    H2a2a1
    Race
    Europid
    Ethnicity
    SouthWest English
    Phenotype
    Obsolete terminology
    GEDmatch
    A703943
    United States

I dunno , I generally don't give a shit. I do shit like burpees with a pushup thrown in then imeddiately jump up straight to pullups (that is enough to be a special forces ninka believe it or not). I also wear clothes such as suits, and business casual e.g. blazers/sports coats +odd trousers etc... and I am about 6 foot tall with a beard. Being in shape like that with a sports coat/blazer makes me look in military/martialist condition without the epaulets.

Last edited by Pendragon1; 2018-08-22 at 04:24.

Established Member
    Slayer of Bullshit
    Last Online
    @
    Mediterranid
    Metaethnos
    European
    Phenotype
    UP/Atlanto-Med
    Religion
    All's fair in love&war

Fuck the stupid but don't have long relationships with them.
    YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OWN OPINIONS... BUT NOT YOUR OWN FACTS.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by IstenmeyenTuy View Post
    Says who? Alpha male lion is the one who gets all the lionesses. Alpha doesnt have to fight always to get that. For humans, it needs to be not weak and not poor, thats all. All the rest is depend on womens choices. If a man is strong as hell and beat up the other males, but the females not prefering them still, then its still useless in the nature. That doesnt make him an alpha.
    You want to use a jungle model for the dominant,strong and take by force that defines that alpha male and substitute it for your made up have money and not be weak definition. If you want to go by the alpha and beta model ,you would be a beta female for being illogical and not having anything other than a alpha.

And for the record , a single lion usually cannot take over another pride that has 3 or even 2 adult male lions, and that is the standard number of lions per pride.

Becauase men are not monogamous. They are programmed to fertilize any healthy females they are able to. So, being leader and successful brings them more females.
    Men supposed to be strong, more successful and in leading roles to get what they need for their nature.

On the other hand, a woman having baby with another male just after giving birth is very dangerous for her kids. They might be not fed or even be killed. So its safer to find 1 male to hunt/provide and stay with him. So, female dont need to be alpha. There is also no rules to get the baby of alpha male. They dont always specially choose certain females. In their nature, they only care if she is healthy. So, the most females can trap an alpha for the good genes for her baby in theory.
    This is rubbish, I’m wolf packs only the alpha male can only mate with the alpha female,and no else.And it’s just as important for no one else in the pack like the beta males and beta females to not mate.Only I’m certain conditions.
    I didnt design the nature, so why blaming me?

There are alpha males not only for humans but also other mammals have. Men get advantages of leading roles. Thats the reason we survive from fewer males genes than female ones. Some males supposed to be more successful and have more babies. Its the nature and its not something I would want or choose as woman. Im just realistic and strong to able to deal with it.

Your male ego is fragile and dont want to be in competition in the nature, so you want some 'alpha female' thing to exist somehow. But its ridicilous. Women can only can give birth once a year and cant keep changing partners for that. Its unrealistic, they dont have need to be an alpha. All they have to do is finding the safest they can, then they will feel okey. Men have different needs.

It has nothing to do with misandry. Its not even something I like. If you cant deal with your nature and wanna believe in fairy tales like alpha females will fight for you etc, your choice.
    The alpha female archetype does exist in many mammal species, especially for wolves, can’t say it’s one with out the other.That’s why you can’t use sexual hierarchy models of animals as you do for humans.
    Last edited by Menelik; 2018-08-22 at 12:56.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Menelik For This Useful Post:

Targum (2018-08-22)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    SD
    Religion
    Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by Azvarohi View Post
    I define alpha males as those who can easily get women, but under their rules and control. Getting sex is easy, but many men need to white knight so much they don't have any pride left, just for the possibility get sex. If you bend the knee to a woman for sex you're not fucking her, she's fucking you. That's why money =/= alpha since most women likely only have the eye on the price...they don't really lust for you.

Also alpha male is someone who is respected by other men. Doesn't matter how rich you are or how much power you yield in formal society, if people think you're an asshole and talk shit about you it doesn't sound alpha to me.
    I define alpha males as those who get women and respect because they kick ass. You could therefore say Alexander The Mauler Gustafsson is an alpha male (and he looks like one too).
    The Future was better before

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8