User Tag List

Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: What is the primary European ancestry in Native Americans from Maine and Vermont?488 days old

  1. #1
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist tauromenion's Avatar
    Last Online
    2019-07-13 @ 19:41
    Join Date
    2012-08-09
    Posts
    7,370
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    H
    Race
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Politics
    Moderate.
    Italy Sicily-II Greece Portugal Israel Star of David Poland Cape Verde

    Default What is the primary European ancestry in Native Americans from Maine and Vermont?

    As an example, the woman in the photo below is from the Penobscot tribe in Maine, an Algonquian people related to all of the Indigenous tribes in northern New England and western Canada.

    When I see her, I clearly see traits that are common to French-Canadians. While you can see SOME Amerindian in her, she does have a very "French" base look, much like how many Latin Americans look Spanish mixed with Amerindian.

    Many of the Algonquian tribes have been historically linked to the French, some on good terms, some on bad.

    It is clear to me that this woman is mostly European. So would most of that be French, Acadian, French Canadian etc? Would that be the case for the European ancestry in most of these tribes, much like how in Latin America, Indigenous peoples mixed with the Spanish?


  2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot
    Join Date
    2013-03-24
    Posts
    All threads
       
     

  3. #2
    Moderator
    Knight Templar El Andullero's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2010-01-24
    Posts
    8,950
    Location
    Santo Domingo
    Gender
    Age
    36
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    L0a2a1a
    Race
    Triracial
    Phenotype
    Indid
    Metaethnos
    Caribbean Hispanic
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Politics
    Royalism
    Religion
    Catholicism
    GEDmatch
    HB6236866
    Dominican Republic Santiago de los Caballeros Spain traditional Spain African Union(OAS)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tauromenion View Post
    As an example, the woman in the photo below is from the Penobscot tribe in Maine, an Algonquian people related to all of the Indigenous tribes in northern New England and western Canada.

    When I see her, I clearly see traits that are common to French-Canadians. While you can see SOME Amerindian in her, she does have a very "French" base look, much like how many Latin Americans look Spanish mixed with Amerindian.

    Many of the Algonquian tribes have been historically linked to the French, some on good terms, some on bad.

    It is clear to me that this woman is mostly European. So would most of that be French, Acadian, French Canadian etc? Would that be the case for the European ancestry in most of these tribes, much like how in Latin America, Indigenous peoples mixed with the Spanish?

    Occitanians, most definitely. I found similar types quite frequently when I was backpacking through the south of France (Toulouse and environs) last year.

  4. #3
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist tauromenion's Avatar
    Last Online
    2019-07-13 @ 19:41
    Join Date
    2012-08-09
    Posts
    7,370
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    H
    Race
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Politics
    Moderate.
    Italy Sicily-II Greece Portugal Israel Star of David Poland Cape Verde

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El Andullero View Post
    Occitanians, most definitely. I found similar types quite frequently when I was backpacking through the south of France (Toulouse and environs) last year.
    It is incredible to me that people who look like that identify as fully Amerindian (I get it kind of because being raised on a reservation and having the culture, it is probably more meaningful to them than their European ancestry) but the woman looks French, there is no way around it.

    A lot of modern day Algonquian tribes look predominantly European, it is not like in Peru or Guatemala.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to tauromenion For This Useful Post:

    El Andullero (2018-03-15)

  6. #4
    Regular Member
    Junior Member Diabolos's Avatar
    Last Online
    2019-05-24 @ 01:56
    Join Date
    2016-09-30
    Posts
    14
    Location
    A pit
    Gender
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Metaethnos
    Mixed
    Skull and crossbones Viking Flanders lion

    Default

    The ancestry in Maine would be predominately French. Maine has a French community; plus more recent migration of Acadians & Quebecois.

    Quote Originally Posted by tauromenion View Post
    It is incredible to me that people who look like that identify as fully Amerindian (I get it kind of because being raised on a reservation and having the culture, it is probably more meaningful to them than their European ancestry) but the woman looks French, there is no way around it.

    A lot of modern day Algonquian tribes look predominantly European, it is not like in Peru or Guatemala.
    People on reserves can have absolutely no indigenous blood. Some tribal land has been leased to Europeans to make money. Not to mention the blood quota in America & more so Canada means people of diluted aboriginal ancestry can still claim status. It's corrupt. But then there's aboriginals who look nothing like her or like Perry Bellegarde, Patrick Brazeau, etc. they just rarely make media/council as it doesn't support the whitewashing agenda.
    Last edited by Diabolos; 2018-04-08 at 13:52.

Similar Threads

  1. Ancestry Composition of European Americans
    By Sully in forum Genetic DNA Companies
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 2016-08-05, 10:53
  2. Replies: 113
    Last Post: 2014-12-05, 20:50
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 2014-06-30, 16:55
  4. Why do some USA Native Americans dislike Indigenous Mexicans/Central Americans?
    By Kate Allentown in forum Ethnicity, Race & Nation
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 2014-03-19, 20:44
  5. Replies: 182
    Last Post: 2013-12-06, 21:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
<