Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    pantheist
    United States United Kingdom Scotland Canada Weed Flag New Zealand Australia

Anyway, bottom line is on a tablet , in certain situations, like a somewhat dark living room, at night, you may be able to get away with reading a newspaper or magazine but try reading a 500 page book while carrying it around with you and you are going to have problems -- unlike an eReader most probably.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Molecular Biologist DracoSentien's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 00:01
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    Queen Victoria's H
    Race
    Caucasian
    Metaethnos
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    pantheist
    United States United Kingdom Scotland Canada Weed Flag New Zealand Australia

Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    I bought a tablet years ago, just for reading ebooks. Admittedly, its battery isn't as durable as those ebook readers and their eink technology, but then again you can read a lot more bool formats on a tablet. It's damn nice to read books on a tablet in any case, saves a lot of room and just one tablet can contain thousands of books. And the ebooks don't wear out either. How come you didn't buy a Kindle though? What exactly os better with a Kobo?
    I have a nook glowlight 3 now. E-readers are solid devices, perfectly adapted to their function. The hallmark of a mature technology is that it just works - you don't have to buy a new one every year, you don't have to jigger with the settings.

The problem is in our expectations. We think that if a device is not as earth-shattering as the smartphone or an immersive multifunction android tablet (even though my Nook technically runs Android) then it is a failure. But smartphones are an exception to the way technological innovation usually works. The problem with this logic is there are too many distractions reading on a multi-purpose device among other problems. Epub is an open format and the Nook supports that book format and the software package Calibre can convert the ebooks into any format and even strip their DRM , with just a drag and drop, through a plugin.

The major manufacturers don't make their money on the devices so much as on the e-books read on their devices. So they don't really have much motivation to innovate. As long as the devices work, and people buy e-books for them, what do they care?

The market for reading is relatively small. Most people don't read long texts very much its for the elite the Warren Buffets, Bill Gates and Elon Musks of the world and myself.

I am currently reading a college level 600 page math book meanwhile the average modern fat American idiot is reading fake news, various internet bite size articles, forums, twitter, wikipedia , facebook etc... it is literally information overload as books are superior to all those forms as the former are more transitory in worth and good readers are good authors -- these fools are being inundated with too much schizophrenic fractal like random knowledge. I think I would make a good author.
    Last edited by DracoSentien; 2019-06-03 at 06:00.
    "I am inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa” because “all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours, whereas all the testing says, not really.” -- James Watson (founding father of modern genetics).

"Give me a lever long enough to stand on I can lift the world"--Archimedes (if you don't understand the not literal meaning of that comment then you are innumerate most likely)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2