User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Ancient Fennoscandian genomes reveal origin and spread of Siberian ancestry in Europe (Lamnidis et al. 2018)425 days old

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    I1-L258
    mtDNA
    H39
    Phenotype
    Appalachid
    Metaethnos
    Finnic-Baltic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Politics
    Vandalism in Rome
    Finland European Union

Quote Originally Posted by Rugevit View Post
    In earliest chronicle compiled in Kiev Finns were identified as Sum' (m is soft). Likely derived from Suomi (Finland).
    There were other Finnic speaking people mentioned

Lib' - Livs
    Vod' - Votes living in Ingria
    Ves' - Vepsians
    Yam' - jäämit. Don't who they are.
    Chud' was an umbrella term for many Finnic speaking tribes.
    Probably other

Lemmi!

Are the words Suomi and Saami etymologically similar?
    Sums - Proper Finnish, lived in SW-Finland
    Yams - Tavastians, lived in inland regions (linguists say that h substituted j in Finnish, jäm - häme).

I have very little skills in linguistics and can't help you. Actually I try to avoid everything being part of linguistics, because it would only mislead me. But I recall that in old Baltic languages sum, suom , zum, zem or something like that meant north or land and you know that they still call Finland as somja/somija. So, if this is true and linguists have something to say, this would only mean a compass direction.
    Last edited by Lemminkäinen; 2019-05-09 at 18:20.
    Blog: http://terheninenmaa.blogspot.fi/, with essence "Believe me, or I'll nuke you".

H39 - Thracia 1650 BC, Hungary 5000 BC
    I1 - Transdanubia 5000 BC

Three simple facts about Finns:
    1. Baltic Finnic languages (including Finnish) never came from the Volga basin along with ancestors of present-day Finns.
    2. Finnish I1 (around 30% of all Finns) has Germanic roots from the late Bronze Age or the early Iron Age.
    3. As to the Finnish prehistory we have no evidences about any Iron Age (or later) east-to-west migration, but many unquestionable evidences about west-to-east migrations.

Väinämöinen - R1a
    Lemminkäinen - I1
    Joukahainen - N

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemminkäinen For This Useful Post:

Rugevit (2019-05-09)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 17:49
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Lithuania Grand Duchy

@Lemminkäinen

In case you may be interested here is Chronicle of Novgorod (1016-1471) translated in English. There is information on Finnic speaking people living around Gulf of Finland and their encounters with Slavs, Germans, Swedes, as well as relations among themselves. They are mentioned by old Russian names.
    http://faculty.washington.edu/dwaugh...xts/MF1914.pdf
    Last edited by Rugevit; 2019-05-10 at 06:17.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    I1-L258
    mtDNA
    H39
    Phenotype
    Appalachid
    Metaethnos
    Finnic-Baltic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Politics
    Vandalism in Rome
    Finland European Union

Quote Originally Posted by Rugevit View Post
    @Lemminkäinen

In case you may be interested here is Chronicle of Novgorod (1016-1471) translated in English. There is information on Finnic speaking people living around Gulf of Finland and their encounters with Slavs, Germans, Swedes, as well as relations among themselves. They are mentioned by old Russian names.
    http://faculty.washington.edu/dwaugh...xts/MF1914.pdf
    I read it long ago. Good information about old Finnic groups, but the geography is confusing. The biggest problem is that the purpose was to glorify Russian leader as great warlords. Western sagas, although considered more fair tales, are more objective in this matter. The monks did not even mention Turku as a Novgorodian market place, because everything else but glorifying wars was useless. It is strange that they were not aware of Russian market places.
    Blog: http://terheninenmaa.blogspot.fi/, with essence "Believe me, or I'll nuke you".

H39 - Thracia 1650 BC, Hungary 5000 BC
    I1 - Transdanubia 5000 BC

Three simple facts about Finns:
    1. Baltic Finnic languages (including Finnish) never came from the Volga basin along with ancestors of present-day Finns.
    2. Finnish I1 (around 30% of all Finns) has Germanic roots from the late Bronze Age or the early Iron Age.
    3. As to the Finnish prehistory we have no evidences about any Iron Age (or later) east-to-west migration, but many unquestionable evidences about west-to-east migrations.

Väinämöinen - R1a
    Lemminkäinen - I1
    Joukahainen - N

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 17:49
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Lithuania Grand Duchy

Quote Originally Posted by Lemminkäinen View Post
    I read it long ago. Good information about old Finnic groups, but the geography is confusing. The biggest problem is that the purpose was to glorify Russian leader as great warlords. Western sagas, although considered more fair tales, are more objective in this matter. The monks did not even mention Turku as a Novgorodian market place, because everything else but glorifying wars was useless. It is strange that they were not aware of Russian market places.
    Glorification maybe ignored. Exaggeration of numbers of enemies captured too.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6