Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Phenotype
    Mestizo
    Religion
    Atheist
    United States Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Celph Titled View Post
    then how are you finding your ancestors if you dont have their information? its impossible to find them without those info especially their date of birth which is super important since you will notice many mexicans having the same exact names, even parents with the same names and even being born in the exact same year
    I've been comparing chromosome browser matches between DNA matches, then looking at their family tree's(they have well researched records) and trying to see a potential couple that we'd all share.

Yes I've learned all too well how many people have the same names , I've spent days researching records to slowly differentiate similar names from each other.

Also been getting advice from other adoptee genealogists who've used similar methods in order to find their own birth families(they did eventually find their parents using that technique), you work your way down from distant ancestors to the modern day.
    "Living or dying, it's not a big deal. What we should be concerned about is whether or not we're allowed to crawl to our graves."

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Viceroyalty of New Spain Celph Titled's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Mediterranid
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Phenotype
    Atlanto-Med + CM
    United States Mexico Guam Philippines Palau

Quote Originally Posted by a_garcia49 View Post
    I've been comparing chromosome browser matches between DNA matches, then looking at their family tree's(they have well researched records) and trying to see a potential couple that we'd all share.

Yes I've learned all too well how many people have the same names , I've spent days researching records to slowly differentiate similar names from each other.

Also been getting advice from other adoptee genealogists who've used similar methods in order to find their own birth families(they did eventually find their parents using that technique), you work your way down from distant ancestors to the modern day.
    I just dont see that working at all, especially dealing with big nations, its just impossible to do

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Celph Titled For This Useful Post:

a_garcia49 (2018-04-19)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:43
    Q-M3
    mtDNA
    A2
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Phenotype
    Mestizo
    Religion
    Atheist
    United States Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Celph Titled View Post
    I just dont see that working at all, especially dealing with big nations, its just impossible to do
    It ain't easy that's for sure, a lot of those people I've spoken to have taken almost a decade to finish.

Nonetheless, if nothing pans out after awhile, then I'll just pay an expert to do it lmao.
    "Living or dying, it's not a big deal. What we should be concerned about is whether or not we're allowed to crawl to our graves."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to a_garcia49 For This Useful Post:

Celph Titled (2018-04-19)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Mediterranid
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Phenotype
    Atlanto-Med + CM

It ain't easy that's for sure, a lot of those people I've spoken to have taken almost a decade to finish.

Nonetheless, if nothing pans out after awhile, then I'll just pay an expert to do it lmao.
    i think you should hire an expert, what be interesting to see what he find, i also plan hiring one but he has to be/live in Mexico and in the same state that my maternal grandparents came from

Established Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 19:43
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    HV3b
    Race
    Biracial
    Phenotype
    Iranid
    Phenotype
    Robust Iranid
    Religion
    Zoroastrianism
    United States Mexico Islamic Republic of Iran

Your Sardinian could be an indication of Italian ancestry then, so it might not even be noise at all

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Persian_Otomi For This Useful Post:

a_garcia49 (Yesterday)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Mediterranid
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Phenotype
    Atlanto-Med + CM

Though I think with Latin Americans it might skew the results, since I have 1 Portugal dot, 0 for Spain, yet my Portuguese ancestors probably go back to the 1600's, unless there's a more recent one I don't know about.
    Okay so I found this explaining why Portugal might come as your closest match and not Iberian, this came from a Cuban since a Cuban was noticing many Cubans coming out with Portugal.

In response to this
    "a lot of us Cubans are coming up with Portugal. I think it is our Canarian ancestry coming through .. as well as our Galician heritage. ….. in regards to "dots" ... it is essentially the old worthless countries of origin; ."

he responded with this:

In regards to “Portugal”, 23&Me has never done the ultra-specific regional testing in Iberia that Living DNA has done in Ireland that allows Living DNA to pinpoint “genetic clusters” localized to certain COUNTIES in Ireland.

The 23andMe Iberian regional testing is “sorta looks like Portugal”.

So, why do all Cubans end up getting so many “Portuguese” Dots?

The answer is in the recent genetic study of the Iberian Peninsula, conducted by the University of Oxford and the Universidad de Santiago de Compostela that is described in this Asturian article below with a link to the actual article after that :

Patterns of genetic differentiation and the footprints of historical migrations in the Iberian Peninsula:
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2018/03/12/250191

The study tested hundreds of individuals in Iberia whose 4 grandparents had lived in the SAME local Iberian region. That provided geographic specificity within Iberia for each individual tested.

WITHOUT being influenced by political borders or cultural regions, and based SOLELY on the genetic data, the researchers set out do draw a map of “genetic likeness” of Iberia. Here are the results:

What the study shows is that the modern genetic character of the Iberian Peninsula was shaped by the fact that EACH IBERIAN MEDIEVAL CHRISTIAN KINGDOM “STAYED IN THEIR TRAFFIC LANE (more or less)” AS THE RECONQUISTA PROGRESSED FROM NORTH TO SOUTH.

Galicia and Western Asturias reconquered, due south, and what is now Portugal became Blue on the Iberian genetic map.

Eastern Asturias and Cantabria reconquered, due south, to create the Reddish part the Iberian genetic map.

Old Castilla reconquered, due south, and then veered east, to create the Yellow on the Iberian genetic map.

Since Asturias was never conquered by the Moors at any time, the Asturians like to tease the rest of Spain by claiming, “España es Asturias y, lo demás, es tierra conquistada” (“Spain is Asturias and, the rest, is conquered land”.

Genetically, as this University of Oxford/Universidad de Santiago de Compostela study surprisingly shows, that Asturian quip is very real in regards to Portugal:

Genetically, “Portugal is Galicia and Western Asturias and, the rest, is conquered land”.

With that knowledge, let’s change the label of “Portugal” to “Galicia and Western Asturias” and see how my KNOWN genealogy back to mid-1700s compares to the University of Oxford/Universidad de Santiago de Compostela map of the Genetics of the Iberian Peninsula:

Does the approximate percentage of Blue Galicia and Western Asturias Dots now match my Blue Square Galicia and Western Asturias Documented Ancestry back to the 1700s?

YES, IT DOES.

The bottom line is that for ANY Latin American individual that is NOT Brazilian, a high number of so-called "Portuguese Dots” does NOT mean Portugal itself. It means Galicia and Western Asturias which represent one of the regions of Spain with the MOST migration to “las Américas”.

In other words, Latinos who are not Brazilians or even Venezuelans (they have the highest Portuguese population in the Hispanic community) who match with Portugal first will most likely be due to Northwestern Spanish ancestry which they tend to be closer to Portuguese genetically speaking than other Spaniards and this is due to the fact that Galicia and parts of Asturias was part of the Portuguese Kingdom

Maybe Mexicans can make this exception since it was noted via AncestryDNA geneticists that Mexicans do have Portuguese Jews ancestry but again, I don't know how they differ from other Portuguese, I mean we did have Portuguese settle in colonial Mexico, thousands of them but I am not sure if they were native Portuguese or Jews from Portugal

But a fact is that colonial Portuguese in the Spanish America were Portuguese Jews and not native Portuguese

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8