User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: Nationalize Facebook529 days old

  1. #11
    Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist NixYO's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2014-04-07
    Posts
    2,577
    Location
    Sweden
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    N-CTS2929
    mtDNA
    I4
    Race
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Christianity
    Sweden Finland Kalmar Union Sweden Tre Kronor Russia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Elizabeth~ View Post
    I never heard of IRC or ICQ before. I'm not that computer savvy. I know MSN has news articles.

    I agree that Facebook shouldn't be nationalized.

    The same day they finished constructing 🤖🤖🤖Mark Zuckerberg🤖🤖🤖?

    https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/s...75399527108608




    But seriously, that's an interesting coincidence.

    Don't you remember MSN Messenger?

    Current Affairs & Politics → Modern Technology

    /mod
    Last edited by NixYO; 2018-04-12 at 20:19.
    “And, furthermore, that some people have a sex life and others don’t just because some are more attractive than others. I wanted to acknowledge that if people don’t have a sex life, it’s not for some moral reason, it’s just because they’re ugly. Once you’ve said it, it sounds obvious, but I wanted to say it.” — Michel Houellebecq

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NixYO For This Useful Post:

    EliasAlucard (2018-04-12), MnM (2018-04-12), Power77 (2018-04-13), ~Elizabeth~ (2018-04-12)

  3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot
    Join Date
    2013-03-24
    Location
    ForumBiodiversity.com
    Posts
    All threads
       
     

  4. #12
    Established Member
    Make America Great Again ~Elizabeth~'s Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2012-03-07
    Posts
    5,405
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    mtDNA
    H1c12
    Race
    Europoid
    Politics
    Trump 2020
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NixYO View Post

    But seriously, that's an interesting coincidence.

    Don't you remember MSN Messenger?

    Current Affairs & Politics → Modern Technology

    /mod
    No. I never had MSN messenger. When I started on the internet I had yahoo email and aol. I think aol may have had a messenger but I never used it. I had a MySpace page at one time. It was very time consuming.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Elizabeth~ For This Useful Post:

    Power77 (2018-04-13)

  6. #13
    Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Junior Member Janos's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2010-05-29
    Posts
    11,011
    Location
    Svithjod
    Gender
    Politics
    SD
    Religion
    Christianity

    Default

    Facebook is great for stalkers and people who wants to collect data on folks.

    I miss 2004-2005 when it was Msn chat (and Lunajstojm for those who wanted to write to more people than they knew).
    The Future was better before

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janos For This Useful Post:

    MnM (2018-04-12), Power77 (2018-04-13)

  8. #14
    Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Most Hated Member DragonRouge's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2010-02-08
    Posts
    8,193
    Location
    K’jipuktuk
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    Male relatives J1c3
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Metaethnos
    Métis-Souriquois
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Politics
    Shawinigan Handshake
    Religion
    Atheist
    Canada Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Basque Faroe Islands Viking

    Default

    I used IRC back in the day. Now there is Slack and Discord which are similar.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to DragonRouge For This Useful Post:

    Power77 (2018-04-13)

  10. #15
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist Danielion's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2011-01-18
    Posts
    5,690
    Location
    Antwerpen
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    R-L21
    mtDNA
    K1
    Metaethnos
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Blemish
    Flanders lion Netherlands European Union Belgium

    Default

    Never was a fan of facebook and its pressure to overshare about your every detail.
    "Political correctness is the (...) revenge of the (...) intolerant, (...) dunce upon all the liveliness in this world. It is no more than the (...) resort of minds (...) that, for them, a revival of Stalinism is preferable to the pain of a glimpse of self-it's the last sigh of the beast that Nietzsche identified as ressentiment."

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danielion For This Useful Post:

    MnM (2018-04-12), Power77 (2018-04-13)

  12. #16
    Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Most Hated Member DragonRouge's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2010-02-08
    Posts
    8,193
    Location
    K’jipuktuk
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    Male relatives J1c3
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Metaethnos
    Métis-Souriquois
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Politics
    Shawinigan Handshake
    Religion
    Atheist
    Canada Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Basque Faroe Islands Viking

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danielion View Post
    Never was a fan of facebook and its pressure to overshare about your every detail.
    Lol I just watch cat videos on Facebook.

    And owl videos because owls are the new cats.

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DragonRouge For This Useful Post:

    Danielion (2018-04-12), El Andullero (2018-04-12), EliasAlucard (2018-04-14), Power77 (2018-04-13)

  14. #17
    Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2009-10-22
    Posts
    14,715
    Location
    Sweden
    Gender
    Age
    34
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ApostateAbe View Post
    In the OP I gave an analogy of tyrannical governments that have no open spaces that would enable protests, only streets and buildings. That tyrannical practice would still be in line with simple libertarian theory, and yet in practice it restricts speech as intended. "No public square? Nonsense, the whole city is our public square!" The Internet as it exists in practice, not in theory, is that every highly populated meeting of the minds is strictly governed for the sake of commercial ends, including restricting political/moral/philosophical/spiritual/scientific expressions. Nobody would be able to restrict such expressions in a town square, but corporations regularly restrict them on the Internet to please their advertisers.
    The issue here Abe, is that Facebook is a very serious problem already as it is, and Facebook would be a thousand times bigger problem, if it was handed over to the US government (or any government really). Some things better left untouched by government. That's not to say government can't or shouldn't have a role in society, but government in general should stay the fuck out of the internetz. The only government websites should be stuff like the official white house domain, that sort of stuff.

    Healthcare might be a good idea government nationalizes it, and some other stuff like the post office, but not internet websites, because that would be very orwellian. Even healthcare can be orwellian if the government nationalizes it, because that could lead to abuse with the government being granted a lot of information about our genetic profiles with today's technology.
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

    “A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

    “Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

    “The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

    “Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

    Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to EliasAlucard For This Useful Post:

    Power77 (2018-04-15)

  16. #18
    Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ApostateAbe's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58
    Join Date
    2015-03-05
    Posts
    769
    Location
    United States
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    T
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Race
    Europoid
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Politics
    Libertarianish
    Religion
    no religion
    United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    The issue here Abe, is that Facebook is a very serious problem already as it is, and Facebook would be a thousand times bigger problem, if it was handed over to the US government (or any government really). Some things better left untouched by government. That's not to say government can't or shouldn't have a role in society, but government in general should stay the fuck out of the internetz. The only government websites should be stuff like the official white house domain, that sort of stuff.

    Healthcare might be a good idea government nationalizes it, and some other stuff like the post office, but not internet websites, because that would be very orwellian. Even healthcare can be orwellian if the government nationalizes it, because that could lead to abuse with the government being granted a lot of information about our genetic profiles with today's technology.
    I don't expect that Facebook would be abused by the government so long as there are laws, transparency, and accountable governance. But, a related objection is that it would be difficult to convince the public of that, and to that I have no answer. The government can't even convince enough of the American public that Bush didn't do 9/11. A nationalized Facebook would be a ripe target for popular conspiracy theories, when in reality a private Facebook is a more potent tool for states.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to ApostateAbe For This Useful Post:

    Power77 (2018-04-15)

  18. #19
    Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2009-10-22
    Posts
    14,715
    Location
    Sweden
    Gender
    Age
    34
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ApostateAbe View Post
    I don't expect that Facebook would be abused by the government so long as there are laws, transparency, and accountable governance.
    Come on man, since when have governments followed the law?

    Quote Originally Posted by ApostateAbe View Post
    But, a related objection is that it would be difficult to convince the public of that, and to that I have no answer.
    People just don't have a lot of trust in government nowadays. It's understandable.

    Quote Originally Posted by ApostateAbe View Post
    The government can't even convince enough of the American public that Bush didn't do 9/11.
    Bush is a moron, I don't believe he did it. But obviously the entire truth hasn't come out on 9/11, and I don't believe the official story myself. You should check out Jesse Ventura.

    Quote Originally Posted by ApostateAbe View Post
    A nationalized Facebook would be a ripe target for popular conspiracy theories, when in reality a private Facebook is a more potent tool for states.
    Well, let's just say Facebook both privatized and nationalized, is ripe for orwellian abuse. It's just that when the government runs the show, it's much worse.

    I think the biggest problem with Facebook and Google is that one of them, or maybe both, are going to become the IRL Skynet. It's just a matter of time, and both are investing heavily in AI and building AI robots and so on.

    But until then, until we're all exterminated by AI, the best solution is to stop using Facebook and do yourself and society at large a favor and delete your Facebook account. If only one person does it, it won't make a difference, but if enough people do it, hopefully Facebook will be gone. Facebook has really ruined the internet.
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

    “A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

    “Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

    “The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

    “Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

    Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to EliasAlucard For This Useful Post:

    Power77 (2018-04-15)

  20. #20
    Established Member
    Lord of Asgard Odin's Avatar
    Last Online
    2019-07-27 @ 13:00
    Join Date
    2018-05-08
    Posts
    1,254
    Location
    West Coast
    Gender
    Age
    29
    Race
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Phenotype
    Nordo-Cromagnid
    Politics
    Paleoconservatism
    Religion
    Christian
    Viking Norway Denmark Netherlands United States

    Default


Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Facebook in 2015: are you still going to use it?
    By EliasAlucard in forum Modern Technology
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 2017-09-01, 07:29
  2. one more about Facebook, weird?
    By Kwestos in forum Behavioural Neuroscience
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 2011-03-04, 22:28
  3. Guess friend on facebook
    By jonboyclem in forum Guess Ethnicity
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 2009-12-04, 16:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
<