Ethnicity
    White American
    Politics
    Libertarianish
    Religion
    no religion
    United States

Default Nationalize Facebook

The US federal government can forcefully buy Facebook the same way they forcefully buy houses to make way for highways (eminent domain). The new Facebook would have no ads apart from user posts, it would be open source, it would have no centralized news feed, it would remain free to use, all user data would remain private by default and protected, all private messages would be encrypted, and absolutely no political/moral/philosophical/spiritual/scientific expressions would be censored.

The new Facebook would be an open public town square for everyone. Free and fair democracies tend to have open spaces within cities, such as public parks, that allow a free gathering of people. Tyrannies tend to know the danger of such town squares, and they design their cities to have nothing more than narrow busy streets and buildings. The Internet is now the common means of communication, but there is no free and popular town square. The typical gathering places on the Internet are corporate owned and corporate administered, and that means they are tightly controlled, deleting and punishing "hate" while assuming a one-sided ideological definition of the concept. Some groups are protected from "hate" speech: only the groups elevated by liberal ideology popular in Silicon Valley. Even established facts may count as "hate." Such top-down universal censorship is not in the public interest, but it is merely for the sake of the economic bottom line of the company.

If #NationalizeFacebook catches on, then it need not be ultimately successful to have a positive effect. Mark Zuckerberg may feel the heat and make concessions for the sake of freedom of expression on Facebook.​

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ApostateAbe For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-04-12)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

This is a bad idea, and would only massively empower the US government in a way no sane person would want. As bad as Facebook is, it's better that it's a public company than a government company. Facebook can't be compared with something like the BBC. While it's important that there's a public news corporation (and obviously a news organization like that would have to be funded by public means and administered by the state), so that private news corporations can't just tell all the lies and deception they wish to deceive the public with, Facebook isn't the same as BBC. With Facebook, we would give all our private info, opinions (through chat logs) and anything else, to the government.

So your idea is a very bad one. I understand why it would be better if Facebook made no profit or wasn't controlled by a greedy company, that Facebook was owned by the public and so on, but government isn't the solution. Besides, there's already Diaspora, and it's open source and GPL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaspora_(social_network)

Unfortunately no one uses it. I'm not sure it would be much better than Facebook anyway, if Diaspora became as huge as Facebook is.

The best solution is Facebook simply dying out. Facebook has massively damaged the internet. Facebook has not made the world a better place. Facebook does have pros and cons, but by and large, Facebook is an evil company and a very bad product, and Facebook's success has been made possible by mainstream thinkers, iGnorant iDiots, anti-intellectuals and iPhone users. So nothing good can come from Facebook existing, and government taking control of Facebook, would only make things worse.
    Last edited by EliasAlucard; 2018-04-12 at 14:15.
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

“Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

“The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

“Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EliasAlucard For This Useful Post:

MnM (2018-04-12), Power77 (2018-04-12)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Male relatives J1c3
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Metaethnos
    Métis-Souriquois
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Politics
    Shawinigan Handshake
    Religion
    Atheist
    Canada Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Basque Faroe Islands Viking

Politics: Libertarianism

Advertisers don’t want to see their ads by certain content. The invisible hand of the free market has spoken.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DragonRouge For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-04-12)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ApostateAbe's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21
    T
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Race
    Europoid
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Politics
    Libertarianish
    Religion
    no religion
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    This is a bad idea, and would only massively empower the US government in a way no sane person would want. As bad as Facebook is, it's better that it's a public company than a government company. Facebook can't be compared with something like the BBC. While it's important that there's a public news corporation (and obviously a news organization like that would have to be funded by public means and administered by the state), so that private news corporations can't just tell all the lies and deception they wish to deceive the public with, Facebook isn't the same as BBC. With Facebook, we would give all our private info, opinions (through chat logs) and anything else, to the government.

So your idea is a very bad one. I understand why it would be better if Facebook made no profit or wasn't controlled by a greedy company, that Facebook was owned by the public and so on, but government isn't the solution. Besides, there's already Diaspora, and it's open source and GPL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaspora_(social_network)

Unfortunately no one uses it. I'm not sure it would be much better than Facebook anyway, if Diaspora became as huge as Facebook is.

The best solution is Facebook simply dying out. Facebook has massively damaged the internet. Facebook has not made the world a better place. Facebook does have pros and cons, but by and large, Facebook is an evil company and a very bad product, and Facebook's success has been made possible by mainstream thinkers, iGnorant iDiots, anti-intellectuals and iPhone users. So nothing good can come from Facebook existing, and government taking control of Facebook, would only make things worse.
    I would have mixed feelings if the campaign fully worked. If there was a widespread popular rebellion against data harvesting, against control of political speech, and against the monopoly power of Facebook, then another solution would be at hand as you suggested: the emergence of an alternative social media. I have not heard of Diaspora, but another social media has grown exponentially within the past year, and you may like to check it out: Minds.com. I have a group on Minds.com with the same topic as this forum in my signature.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DragonRouge View Post

Advertisers don’t want to see their ads by certain content. The invisible hand of the free market has spoken.
    That's the problem with the libertarian ideology: advertisers get a helluva lot of influence over the distribution of information as a natural outcome of the free market. Notice that my profile says, "Libertarianish," not, "Libertarianism."
    Last edited by ApostateAbe; 2018-04-12 at 17:19.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ApostateAbe For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-04-13)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Male relatives J1c3
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Metaethnos
    Métis-Souriquois
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Politics
    Shawinigan Handshake
    Religion
    Atheist
    Canada Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Basque Faroe Islands Viking

Quote Originally Posted by ApostateAbe View Post
    I would have mixed feelings if the campaign fully worked. If there was a widespread popular rebellion against data harvesting, against control of political speech, and against the monopoly power of Facebook, then another solution would be at hand as you suggested: the emergence of an alternative social media. I have not heard of Diaspora, but another social media has grown exponentially within the past year, and you may like to check it out: Minds.com. I have a group on Minds.com with the same topic as this forum in my signature.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the problem with the libertarian ideology: advertisers get a helluva lot of influence over the distribution of information as a natural outcome of the free market. Notice that my profile says, "Libertarianish," not, "Libertarianism."
    So you’re admitting you’re only libertarian when it’s convenient, then. No worries, I have noticed this about most so-called “libertarians”, at least you’re honest about it.

Anyway, the broader Internet is the public square, not Facebook. You’re free to start your own site.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DragonRouge For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-04-13)

Established Member
    Make America Great Again ~Elizabeth~'s Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    H1c12
    Race
    Europoid
    Politics
    Trump 2020
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    United States

I wondered when someone would start a thread about facebook. I'm glad I'm not on facebook.

Zuckerberg Says Facebook Even Collects Data From Non-Facebook Users
    http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...vacy-congress/

excerpt:
    whether you have a Facebook account or not, if you visit a website with a Facebook like or share button on it, or one that has hidden Facebook code, the company is collecting data. Even if you don’t click the like or share button.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Elizabeth~ For This Useful Post:

MnM (2018-04-12), Power77 (2018-04-13)

Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

Quote Originally Posted by ~Elizabeth~ View Post
    I wondered when someone would start a thread about facebook. I'm glad I'm not on facebook.
    We have a few Facebook threads already, I was actually going to start one like yesterday (not about this topic though), just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I think what Abe is trying to say is that Facebook is a serious problem, which it of course is, and needs to be regulated, split up or something. But his solution is not the right answer, because what he's suggesting is simply more power to the government. Abe is basically saying let's go Orwell for real.

I'm not sure his solution would make any difference though, I mean the US government already has Facebook by the balls through the NSA, PRISM and so on. What difference would it make if there were no ads?

Your solution Elizabeth, is the right way to deal with Facebook: delete your account, or not join Facebook in the first place.

I hate how Facebook has ruined the internet. Back in the days, people used IRC and ICQ, then everyone moved on to MSN, and then Facebook.

Facebook is an Orwellian system that feeds on people's narcissism. And yes, Mark Zuckerberg is the devil:

“Vanity, is definitely my favorite sin. It's so basic: self-love, the all natural opiate.” ― The Devil's Advocate

Vanity - Devil's Advocate:

^^ That's Facebook in a nutshell. Feeding on the vanity of the masses, making profit on the narcissism of the masses, and collecting all the information everyone gives Facebook voluntarily.

Facebook really is evil, and everyone is like totally okay with Facebook being this evil.
    Last edited by EliasAlucard; 2018-04-12 at 18:15.
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

“Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

“The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

“Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EliasAlucard For This Useful Post:

MnM (2018-04-12), Power77 (2018-04-12), ~Elizabeth~ (2018-04-12)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    T
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Race
    Europoid
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Politics
    Libertarianish
    Religion
    no religion
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by DragonRouge View Post
    So you’re admitting you’re only libertarian when it’s convenient, then. No worries, I have noticed this about most so-called “libertarians”, at least you’re honest about it.

Anyway, the broader Internet is the public square, not Facebook. You’re free to start your own site.
    In the OP I gave an analogy of tyrannical governments that have no open spaces that would enable protests, only streets and buildings. That tyrannical practice would still be in line with simple libertarian theory, and yet in practice it restricts speech as intended. "No public square? Nonsense, the whole city is our public square!" The Internet as it exists in practice, not in theory, is that every highly populated meeting of the minds is strictly governed for the sake of commercial ends, including restricting political/moral/philosophical/spiritual/scientific expressions. Nobody would be able to restrict such expressions in a town square, but corporations regularly restrict them on the Internet to please their advertisers.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ApostateAbe For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-04-13)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    T
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Race
    Europoid
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Politics
    Libertarianish
    Religion
    no religion
    United States

I should have done a little more research. This same idea was proposed in 2015 by The Week. . . . Facebook.gov. Ha!

https://theweek.com/articles/582042/...alize-facebook

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ApostateAbe For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-04-13)

Established Member
    Make America Great Again ~Elizabeth~'s Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    H1c12
    Race
    Europoid
    Politics
    Trump 2020
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    We have a few Facebook threads already, I was actually going to start one like yesterday (not about this topic though), just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I think what Abe is trying to say is that Facebook is a serious problem, which it of course is, and needs to be regulated, split up or something. But his solution is not the right answer, because what he's suggesting is simply more power to the government. Abe is basically saying let's go Orwell for real.

I'm not sure his solution would make any difference though, I mean the US government already has Facebook by the balls through the NSA, PRISM and so on. What difference would it make if there were no ads?

Your solution Elizabeth, is the right way to deal with Facebook: delete your account, or not join Facebook in the first place.

I hate how Facebook has ruined the internet. Back in the days, people used IRC and ICQ, then everyone moved on to MSN, and then Facebook.

Facebook is an Orwellian system that feeds on people's narcissism. And yes, Mark Zuckerberg is the devil:

“Vanity, is definitely my favorite sin. It's so basic: self-love, the all natural opiate.” ― The Devil's Advocate

Vanity - Devil's Advocate:

^^ That's Facebook in a nutshell. Feeding on the vanity of the masses, making profit on the narcissism of the masses, and collecting all the information everyone gives Facebook voluntarily.

Facebook really is evil, and everyone is like totally okay with Facebook being this evil.

I never heard of IRC or ICQ before. I'm not that computer savvy. I know MSN has news articles.

I agree that Facebook shouldn't be nationalized.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Elizabeth~ For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-04-13)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast