Evolutionary Biologist Bobby Martnen's Avatar
    Last Online
    2018-12-29 @ 00:21
    Race
    Europid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    United States

Default Can haplogroups be correlated to intelligence?

Has this ever been studied?

I was wondering if, for example, certain haplogroups had more verbal, or spatial, or mathematical (etc...) intelligence than others.

Discuss.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobby Martnen For This Useful Post:

Silesian (2018-04-21)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:38
    R1b U152
    mtDNA
    K1b1a
    Race
    Native American
    Phenotype
    Margid
    Metaethnos
    Mesoamerican
    Ethnicity
    Amerindian - Med
    United States Mexico Spain Germany United Kingdom Norway

To be completely honest, I don't think so.

I don't think my Paternal Haplogroup being R1b-U152 and my Maternal Haplogroup being K1b1a has any bearing on my... well, anything really.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Potentia For This Useful Post:

Bobby Martnen (2018-04-21), voyager14 (2018-07-30)

Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

No. Haplogroups aren't part of the autosomal DNA, so they really have no function of how you are, what you look like and so on. But mtDNA has some weak, minor correlation with your energy levels, life expectency / longevity, diseases and other stuff like that, due to the fact that mtDNA is mitocondria, here's an example:

Mitochondrial DNA Haplogroups influence AIDS Progression:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2699618/

But other than that, haplogroups really are irrelevant. Y-DNA haplogroups are only useful for tracking migrations and correlate them with ancestry/autosomal DNA. But they don't code for or correlate with intelligence.
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

“Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

“The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

“Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EliasAlucard For This Useful Post:

An Shigao (2018-04-21), Baradi (2019-02-10), Bobby Martnen (2018-04-21), palmbeach (2018-04-21), Shaquille (2018-04-21)

Established Member
    Steppe=Women-Wagons-Horses-Kurgans
    Last Online
    @
    R1b-BY593
    mtDNA
    U5b2a2
    Race
    Europoid
    Metaethnos
    Steppe Cultures/Europe
    Ethnicity
    Steppe Cultures/Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Martnen View Post

I was wondering if, for example, certain haplogroups had more verbal, or spatial, or mathematical (etc...) intelligence than others.

Discuss.
    No- to my knowledge it has never been studied. Therefore one cannot assume the relation.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Silesian For This Useful Post:

Bobby Martnen (2018-04-21)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ApostateAbe's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:40
    Y-DNA
    T
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Race
    Europoid
    Metaethnos
    What's Meta-Ethnos?
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Phenotype
    many of these, I think
    Politics
    Libertarianish
    Religion
    no religion
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Martnen View Post

Discuss.
    Just about anything can correlate with anything else. I expect there would be small correlations, and the only reason those correlations may exist is the haplogroup's correlations with race. Race has a stronger and more direct relationship with the intelligence variable. I don't recommend using haplogroups to explain phenotypes. Phenotypes are among very many genes, and haplotypes touch on only a thin sliver of those genes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ApostateAbe For This Useful Post:

Bobby Martnen (2018-04-21)

Last Online
    2019-03-20 @ 18:43
    Y-DNA
    R-S21 / R-U106 /r1b1b2
    mtDNA
    h1g
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Ethnicity
    Frisian
    Politics
    Feudalism
    Religion
    Logic & Morals
    GEDmatch
    M235148
    Netherlands Sweden

I believe it is somewhat, to a point. Ive got the germanic R1B-U106 / r1b1b2a1a1 haplogroup which, according to the eupedia map is concentrated in friesland and "radiates" out from there. And on my 23&me test, it says that i am 35% Broadly northwest european (same spot on maps, in friesland) 23% scandinavian (mothers father) etc etc. Basque, finnish etc. But none of the others were as high as those 35%. My half siblings with the same father as me, but with a swedish mum instead of a basque mum, are 1,95 tall (male) and 1,85 tall (F). And.. they bloody look like frisians. Any haplogroup can deviate from its original race of origin, like f.ex. I /I1 can "become" chinese if that man (lets say a 100% scandinavian I1 man) has kids with a chinese woman, and that kid (son?) also has kids with a chinese girl, then of course, it would be a chinese I1 man. But if you are maybe 80% chinese with the I1 haplogroup, or even 99%, you can over time, breed back down to make your kids kids kids kids become scandinavian again. The genes lie there, way back. So yes, i believe HGs matter, since they show what foundation the person sits on.

Senior Moderator
    Last Online
    @
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic

Haplogroups are not autosomal DNA, so no, because haplogroups don't code for physical traits like intelligence, height, pigmentation and so on. Perhaps mtDNA haplos can somewhat, very vaguely be correlated with intelligence because mtDNA is mitocondria, but that's about it.

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

Quoted for truth:
    For the lulz:
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

14. The Following User Says Thank You to EliasAlucard For This Useful Post:

David Noi (2019-01-09)

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:53
    Ethnicity
    Euro & Native
    Politics
    Right
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Canada United Kingdom Mexico Spain

No, I don't think it has any bearing.

Last Online
    Today @ 01:25
    Russian
    Politics
    MAGA
    Russia

Fig. 1. IQ, height and homicide rate in Japan (light blue–gray–bright red).

A study on the Japanese population (Kura 2013) found that latitudes correlate with height, IQ, and skin color at r = 0.70, 0.44, 0.47. The lower IQ in southern Japanese islands could be attributable to warmer climates with less cognitive demand for more than fifteen hundred years. It is assumed that Jomon people (Y haplogroup C1, C3 & D1) in the north were less intelligent than Yayoi people (Y haplogroup O2b, O3) in the south but the results were quite the opposite. A similar observation can be made on Italy or Europe as a whole. Lynn (2010) reported higher IQs in the northern than southern Italian regions.

Many people worldwide seem to have an image of Japan as a highly homogeneous nation. However, the Japanese islands were initially populated by the hunter–gatherer Jomon people (Y haplogroup C1, C3 & D1) and experienced a great deal of immigration from the Korean peninsula and mainland China from 2900 to 1500 years ago. These incoming Yayoi people (Y haplogroup O2b from Korea and O3 from China) brought wet-rice agriculture and bronze and iron tools to the islands. Because of these cultural advancements, they had shown much more fecundity and have in number dominated the native Jomon people. There still exists a genetic cline from the Western Yayoi population in the Eastern Jomon population in Japan (Hammer et al., 2006). Haplogroups, C1, C3 and D2 are most common among the Ainu people in the northmost Japan (almost 100%) and in the Okinawans in southmost Japan (about 60%),while the western regions closer to the Korean peninsula are more densely populated by Yayoi descendant haplogroup of O2b and O3 (60–70%).

Since the continental Northeast Asians (Han Chinese and Korean) have a higher intelligence compared to the rest of the Eurasian population, it would be natural to assume that these Yayoi people were more intelligent. This conjecture is based on the facts: 1. The fossil evidence shows that the Yayoi people were 5–8 cm (2–3 in.) taller than the Jomon; 2. Modern-day Koreans are about 3 cm (1.2 in.) taller than the Japanese; 3. The IQs of Chinese and Korean people have continuously outscored that of Japanese people (estimated to be 106 and 105, respectively). Hence, it is reasonable to expect that the prefectures closer to the continent exhibit higher intelligence than those in the Northeast.

However, this tendency was not observed and instead there exists a simple intelligence gradient from south to north. This may be due to an almost perfect admixture within the last 1500 year (about more than 60 generations) as far as genes for taller stature and higher intelligence are concerned, as well as the selective pressures of the last 1500 years of civilization, which have been strong enough to reshape the original east–west IQ gradient into the current north–south cline. This conclusion would be in line with the Hawks, Wang, Cochran, Harpending, and Moyzis (2007)idea of ever-accelerating human evolution. They insist that more and more beneficial mutations swept populations, after the advent of agricultural civilizations with metallurgy, letters and complex hierarchical organizations. The Japanese north–south gradient in height and intelligence can be evidence that modern humans have evolved to higher intelligence within the last two millennia.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...949?via%3Dihub
    Last edited by ThirdTerm; 2019-01-11 at 06:09.

Senior Moderator
    Last Online
    @
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic

^^ Correlation is one thing (and even then it's a weak correlation), but the important point here is that haplogroups (especially Y-DNA) don't actually code for intelligence, or any other autosomal trait.

Quoted for truth:
    For the lulz:

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EliasAlucard For This Useful Post:

Baradi (2019-01-12), JaM (2019-01-11)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast