User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: What are the newest ethnic groups?441 days old

  1. #11
    Established Member
    Biological Anthropologist
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2010-07-29
    Posts
    6,473
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    E-M4254, Q-M3, R-L2
    mtDNA
    L2b2, L3e2b
    Race
    Triracial
    Metaethnos
    Afro-Descendant
    Phenotype
    Chulo Man
    Politics
    Legalize It
    Religion
    Believe What You Want
    Belize CARICOM United States Federal Republic of Central America Jamaica Belize

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlessedbyHorus View Post
    Any new world ethnicities.
    This. For example, other than the Maya groups and transplanted Mennonites all ethnic groups in Belize are "new".
    K=47 Results
    78.92% African
    • 59.05% West-African
    • 8.36% Central-African_HG
    • 3.32% East-African_HG
    • 2.22% Nilotic
    • 2.11% Omotic(?)
    • 1.78% Sahelian
    • 1.05% South-African_HG
    • 1.03% Kushitic(?)

    11.84% West Eurasian
    • 3.79% North-Sea_Germanic
    • 2.15% East-Euro
    • 1.39% Scando-Germanic
    • 1.26% Paleo-Balkan
    • 0.88% Central-Med
    • 0.54% NW-Indian(?)
    • 0.42% East-Iberian
    • 0.39% Baltic
    • 0.14% West-Med
    • 0.17% North-Iberian
    • 0.02% East-Med

    9.92% Native/Indigenous to Americas
    • 4.59% Meso-Amerind
    • 2.14% Amazonian
    • 2.01% Andean
    • 1.15% North-Amerind
    • 0.02% South-Indian(?)
    • 0.01% Tibetan(?)

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pgbk87 For This Useful Post:

    BlessedbyHorus (2018-05-03), El Andullero (2018-05-03)

  3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot
    Join Date
    2013-03-24
    Posts
    All threads
       
     

  4. #12
    Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist Bobby Martnen's Avatar
    Last Online
    2018-12-28 @ 23:21
    Join Date
    2018-03-03
    Posts
    282
    Gender
    Age
    22
    Race
    Europid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Itoli View Post
    Then how are they distinct from the dutch in Germany? And how are they not from Dutch descent if they're Dutch?
    Anglophones used to call all continental Germanic speakers "Dutchmen", that term because exclusively for Holland in the 19th century. The Pennsylvania Dutch came here in the 18th century, so the name stuck on them.

  5. #13
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist Itoli's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2017-04-16
    Posts
    1,019
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Martnen View Post
    Anglophones used to call all continental Germanic speakers "Dutchmen", that term because exclusively for Holland in the 19th century. The Pennsylvania Dutch came here in the 18th century, so the name stuck on them.
    Interesting. which Germanic people do they descend from?

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Itoli For This Useful Post:

    Bobby Martnen (2018-05-03)

  7. #14
    Regular Member
    Junior Member
    Last Online
    2018-12-10 @ 20:45
    Join Date
    2018-05-01
    Posts
    10
    Location
    idk
    Gender
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Martnen View Post
    Anglophones used to call all continental Germanic speakers "Dutchmen", that term because exclusively for Holland in the 19th century. The Pennsylvania Dutch came here in the 18th century, so the name stuck on them.
    Germans call themselves Deutsch & Deutschmann (+ regional variation). Pennsylvania "Dutch" is just anglicized Pennsylvania Deutsch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Itoli View Post
    Interesting. which Germanic people do they descend from?
    Southwest Germany, Switzerland, Alsace & Lorraine regions (likely French & Germans), Dutch, a number of (French) Huguenots residing in Holland, and what were Bohemians.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dorcha For This Useful Post:

    Bobby Martnen (2018-05-03), Itoli (2018-05-03)

  9. #15
    Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2009-10-22
    Posts
    14,691
    Location
    Sweden
    Gender
    Age
    34
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Itoli View Post
    That's not a new ethnic group, it's an old ethnic group in a new place. The various maroon communities in the Americas are pretty new but I think there are other ethnicities that are newer.
    To qualify as an ethnic group, the group in question has to be a genetic group, and most new world triracials don't qualify as that, because none are genetically homogeneous to begin with.
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

    “A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

    “Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

    “The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

    “Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

    Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to EliasAlucard For This Useful Post:

    Bobby Martnen (2018-05-03)

  11. #16
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist Danielion's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2011-01-18
    Posts
    5,690
    Location
    Antwerpen
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    R-L21
    mtDNA
    K1
    Metaethnos
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Blemish
    Flanders lion Netherlands European Union Belgium

    Default

    Swedish-Assyrians. Exiled from their home land and resented by muslim Arabs for identifying strongly with Swedish interests while being Semitic themselves and driven in that position for being Christian. I have noticed muslim Arabs hate them because they expect immigrants to be isolated from the local society they migrate to. Otherwise 'you act white' and are a 'traitor'.
    "Political correctness is the (...) revenge of the (...) intolerant, (...) dunce upon all the liveliness in this world. It is no more than the (...) resort of minds (...) that, for them, a revival of Stalinism is preferable to the pain of a glimpse of self-it's the last sigh of the beast that Nietzsche identified as ressentiment."

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danielion For This Useful Post:

    Janos (2018-05-06), Targum (2018-05-03)

  13. #17
    Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2009-10-22
    Posts
    14,691
    Location
    Sweden
    Gender
    Age
    34
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danielion View Post
    Swedish-Assyrians. Exiled from their home land and resented by muslim Arabs for identifying strongly with Swedish interests while being Semitic themselves and driven in that position for being Christian. I have noticed muslim Arabs hate them because they expect immigrants to be isolated from the local society they migrate to. Otherwise 'you act white' and are a 'traitor'.
    Funny trolling, but we're not a new ethnic group. Assyrians have been around long before Dutch became an identity.

    But apparently, according to your troll logic, an ancient Middle Eastern ethnic group becomes like, brand new, for not hating Europeans? I take it you'd prefer that we hated Europeans?
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

    “A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

    “Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

    “The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

    “Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

    Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EliasAlucard For This Useful Post:

    Bobby Martnen (2018-05-03), Janos (2018-05-06), Targum (2018-05-03)

  15. #18
    Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Most Hated Member DragonRouge's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2010-02-08
    Posts
    7,992
    Location
    K’jipuktuk
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    Male relatives J1c3
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Metaethnos
    Métis-Souriquois
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Politics
    Shawinigan Handshake
    Religion
    Atheist
    Canada Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Basque Faroe Islands Viking

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    To qualify as an ethnic group, the group in question has to be a genetic group, and most new world triracials don't qualify as that, because none are genetically homogeneous to begin with.
    Huh? A lot of New World triracial groups have their own cultures. Even non-mixed groups do... Pennsylvania Dutch an example of that, they have their own culture. African Americans have their own culture, as do other African descended groups like Jamaicans, Haitians, etc., also groups like Acadians, Quebecois, Mexicans (as in the dominant Mestizo culture, white and indigenous Mexicans have different cultures), etc etc.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to DragonRouge For This Useful Post:

    El Andullero (2018-05-03)

  17. #19
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist Danielion's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2011-01-18
    Posts
    5,690
    Location
    Antwerpen
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    R-L21
    mtDNA
    K1
    Metaethnos
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Blemish
    Flanders lion Netherlands European Union Belgium

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    Funny trolling, but we're not a new ethnic group. Assyrians have been around long before Dutch became an identity.

    But apparently, according to your troll logic, an ancient Middle Eastern ethnic group becomes like, brand new, for not hating Europeans? I take it you'd prefer that we hated Europeans?
    You should have seen the hatred by some on TA at your adress. Hatred I disagree with obviously. I mean, one refute is that you supposedly 'suck up to Swedes' while he himself closes himself off from Euros. It's comparable to the 'yo actin white' accusation. And immigrants also should want to empathise with their host society and the cultural gap needs to be a deep one indeed for it to be insurmountable.

    But I agree, you don't count as a new ethnic group for Suedicising due to growing up there nor do other diasporas.

    I do disagree that 'homogenity' be a requirement, though. Different groups could mix and form another group of people identifying with each other. Ideally they'd identify with one of the groups of the original mixers, but in South Africans, Coloureds and Afrikaners have a cultural divide regardless. Some Coloureds also have weird trends like removing their middle teeth because they think it looks badass. I hope it's a low class thing for them, but I wouldn't know. However, it's an example of something which alienates about 100% of Afrikaners for sure.
    Last edited by Danielion; 2018-05-03 at 15:28.
    "Political correctness is the (...) revenge of the (...) intolerant, (...) dunce upon all the liveliness in this world. It is no more than the (...) resort of minds (...) that, for them, a revival of Stalinism is preferable to the pain of a glimpse of self-it's the last sigh of the beast that Nietzsche identified as ressentiment."

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Danielion For This Useful Post:

    El Andullero (2018-05-03)

  19. #20
    Established Member
    Junior Member But Cool
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:56
    Join Date
    2012-05-31
    Posts
    3,256
    Location
    Somewhere in England
    Gender
    Age
    33
    Y-DNA
    E-U174/P-252
    mtDNA
    U6a3f
    Race
    Sub-Saharan African
    Metaethnos
    Akan/Bakongo/Igbo
    Ethnicity
    Jamaican
    Phenotype
    West African looking
    Politics
    Monarchy over Republic
    Religion
    Nunya
    England Jamaica Skull and crossbones

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    To qualify as an ethnic group, the group in question has to be a genetic group, and most new world triracials don't qualify as that, because none are genetically homogeneous to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonRouge View Post
    Huh? A lot of New World triracial groups have their own cultures. Even non-mixed groups do... Pennsylvania Dutch an example of that, they have their own culture. African Americans have their own culture, as do other African descended groups like Jamaicans, Haitians, etc., also groups like Acadians, Quebecois, Mexicans (as in the dominant Mestizo culture, white and indigenous Mexicans have different cultures), etc etc.
    By Elias' own logic plenty of Old world ethnic groups can't be considered distinct because they aren't genetically distinct.
    Examples:
    The Spanish and Portuguese
    The Mordvins and Ethnic Russians
    The Yoruba and Igbo (as well as most Nigerians in general)
    The Tongans, Samoans and Maori (as well as other Polynesians)
    The Meru, Kikuyu, Kamba and Taita of Kenya

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iron Hand For This Useful Post:

    DragonRouge (2018-05-03), Itoli (2018-05-03)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. IQ for ethnic groups in the U.K
    By joseph capelli in forum Race & Ethnicity in Society
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2012-10-29, 11:42
  2. The most brave ethnic groups?
    By pakistani in forum Race & Ethnicity in Society
    Replies: 162
    Last Post: 2012-05-11, 12:08
  3. The most brave ethnic groups?
    By pakistani in forum Race & Ethnicity in Society
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2012-05-08, 04:17
  4. Expressive ethnic groups
    By Multilingual in forum Arts & Culture
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2012-04-12, 10:05
  5. Admixture Among U.S.A Ethnic Groups!
    By Doctoris Scientia in forum Americas
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 2011-05-05, 05:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
<