Phenotype
    Kostenkioid
    Politics
    Relativism
    Religion
    None
    Denmark Viking Finland Spain Castile

Quote Originally Posted by ApostateAbe View Post
    See my previous comment for information about the correlation between intelligence and brain size. Diet is a popular explanation for the Flynn effect because it seems to be the only available explanation that can possibly explain increasing brain size. But, I think we need to look beyond the explanation of diet, because the correlation of diet variations with IQ is weak and because American children were not in fact starving by the millions 100 years ago. My hypothesis is a shift of epigenetic expressions in favor of K traits on the r/K scale, traits including intelligence, prompted by a safer and healthier environment. I speculate that epigenetics enables sudden changes in phenotypes prompted by sudden changes in environment. We know this happens with at least one other species: grasshoppers versus locusts. Same species but vastly different phenotypes prompted by an environmental change. Intelligence and brain size are not the only K trait that has shifted massively over the last hundred years. Human height had been the same way. So has lifespan and fertility.
    You haven't provided the actual data for any of this. What about links to studies or something?
    Here's the data for human height:
    https://ourworldindata.org/human-height
    Bottom line is, humans have gotten bigger, the increased size is most noticeable in places where living conditions has become better in the period. Obviously it's more than just food, but food is important, especially because genetically large people need more food in their childhood than smaller people, so in a condition with less food, they growth potential may be slightly suppressed. A portion of smaller people will be smaller due to various maladies, so when those conditions are sorted out, which do not depend on food, they will also get bigger. It is of course complex with many factors, including some kind of epigenetic change, maybe. However, what I wrote basically was that people have bigger heads mostly because they have gotten bigger overall, not because they have evolved proportionally bigger heads.
    "A bloke walks into a pub, and asks for a pint of Adenosinetriphosphate.
    The barman says "That'll be ATP please!"
    -------
    “That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.”

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JaM For This Useful Post:

Sun Shield Pakal (2018-05-10)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:02
    Y-DNA
    T
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Race
    Europoid
    Metaethnos
    What's Meta-Ethnos?
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Phenotype
    many of these, I think
    Politics
    Libertarianish
    Religion
    no religion
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    You haven't provided the actual data for any of this. What about links to studies or something?
    Here's the data for human height:
    https://ourworldindata.org/human-height
    Bottom line is, humans have gotten bigger, the increased size is most noticeable in places where living conditions has become better in the period. Obviously it's more than just food, but food is important, especially because genetically large people need more food in their childhood than smaller people, so in a condition with less food, they growth potential may be slightly suppressed. A portion of smaller people will be smaller due to various maladies, so when those conditions are sorted out, which do not depend on food, they will also get bigger. It is of course complex with many factors, including some kind of epigenetic change, maybe. However, what I wrote basically was that people have bigger heads mostly because they have gotten bigger overall, not because they have evolved proportionally bigger heads.
    OK, here are two meta-analysis of the correlation between IQ and brain volume:

James Flynn in a book dismissed the significance of diet variation on IQ because of the low correlation, and I believe Charles Murray wrote similarly. For diet to lower IQ, children must be starving. But, I don't have the data on hand. I should hunt it down, because the hypothesis that diet variations cause the Flynn effect has the support of Richard Lynn, who co-discovered the Flynn effect, and he is as hereditarian as they come.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ApostateAbe For This Useful Post:

JaM (2018-05-10), lordescalera (2018-05-21)

Last Online
    2018-05-21 @ 21:45
    Race
    Quadracial
    Religion
    Atheist
    Brazil

Throughout the history of humans, a bigger brain and a smaller jaw has always resulted in greater achievements.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2