User Tag List

Thread: NASA Is Going To Make A Big Announcement About The Search For Life On Monday433 days old

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Male relatives J1c3
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Metaethnos
    Métis-Souriquois
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Politics
    Shawinigan Handshake
    Religion
    Atheist
    Canada Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Basque Faroe Islands Viking

Default NASA Is Going To Make A Big Announcement About The Search For Life On Monday

NASA Is Going To Make A Big Announcement About The Search For Life On Monday

Announcement alert! NASA is preparing to give us some big news about Jupiter’s moon Europa, and it could have some major implications for the search for life.

On Monday May 14 at 1pm EDT (5pm GMT), the agency will hold a briefing “to discuss the latest analysis of Jupiter’s moon Europa and its status as one of the most promising places in the solar system to search for life,” they said in a statement.

You’ll be able to watch it live at quite a few places. They are (deep breath): NASA Television, Facebook Live, Twitch TV, Ustream, YouTube, Twitter/Periscope, and also on NASA’s website. You can ask questions during the event by tweeting #askNASA.

So what’s it all about? Well, the information is embargoed at the moment, so we can’t reveal too much. We can tell you now it is definitely not aliens though. Just getting that out of the way nice and early. But it is about Europa.

Europa is of great interest because, in 2022, NASA is planning to send a mission (giant new rocket permitting) to study it in detail. Called the Europa Clipper, it will be placed on a wide orbit around Jupiter and will swoop past Europa repeatedly on 45 flybys.

It’s thought this icy moon has a hidden ocean deep beneath the surface, so the spacecraft will try to prove it exists and work out some of its finer details. The mission may also include a lander.

Back in 2016 we also learned from the Hubble telescope that there are probably plumes erupting into space from this ocean, similar to Saturn’s moon Enceladus. These plumes are very useful, as they provide a way to sample the ocean without actually burying under the ice.

“Europa has long been a high priority for exploration because beneath its icy crust lies a salty, liquid water ocean,” said NASA.

“NASA’s Europa Clipper, targeted to launch in 2022, will be equipped with the instruments necessary to determine whether Europa possesses the ingredients necessary to support life as we know it.”

So make sure you tune in on Monday for what will be a very exciting announcement. Again, it is not alien life – but it could be a step in that direction.
    http://www.iflscience.com/space/nasa...ife-on-monday/

Don't have anything to add or questions, just thought people would be interested so I made a thread

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DragonRouge For This Useful Post:

a_garcia49 (2018-05-14), BlessedbyHorus (2018-05-14), EliasAlucard (2018-05-13), Janos (2018-05-13)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

If they're making an announcement, odds are they've found life on Europa. Would be cool if they found life on Enceladus and Io too, but the announcement is probably going to be along the lines that they're going to drill Europa, or send a satellite there or something.
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

“Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

“The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

“Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Race
    Triracial
    Ethnicity
    Hispanic
    Phenotype
    Platanoid Mongrel
    Spain Amazigh Dominican Republic Puerto Rico African Union(OAS) Jatibonicu Taino

Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    If they're making an announcement, odds are they've found life on Europa. Would be cool if they found life on Enceladus and Io too, but the announcement is probably going to be along the lines that they're going to drill Europa, or send a satellite there or something.
    Let's not forget the Dragonfly concept probe NASA is proposing for Saturn's moon, Titan. Pretty interesting how they're going with the quadcopter design for the probe rather than a submarine. Titan fascinates the most out of all the gas giant moons considering it's the only such moon in our solar system with a thick atmosphere, and lakes/oceans of liquid methane.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to saru21 For This Useful Post:

EliasAlucard (2018-05-13)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist BlessedbyHorus's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:16
    Ethnicity
    Nigger/Abeed
    Politics
    Trouble Maker Negro
    Religion
    Agnostic
    United States Haiti Dominican Republic

Even if its just simple cell organisms that STILL would be amazing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlessedbyHorus For This Useful Post:

a_garcia49 (2018-05-14)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ApostateAbe's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:08
    T
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Race
    Europoid
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Politics
    Libertarianish
    Religion
    no religion
    United States

I suggest you don't get your science news from I Fucking Love Science (I won't abbreviate it). This should be obvious already. I can't think of a science news source that isn't crap, and I Fucking Love Science is not an exception, except that it is worse. The news is most certainly not alien life, not even a microbe. It is about Europa, and to discover a microbe would require sending a robot down to the surface of Europa, which they have not yet done, and there would be no way to keep that news sealed. I Fucking Love Science got that part right. But, it won't be big news, and it won't be very exciting, either. It won't even be "news," according to NASA's website, nor will it be an "announcement." It will just be a live "Science Chat" to talk about their upcoming mission to Europa. If that makes you shit your pants in anticipation, then be sure to consult your doctor during your next visit.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7119

Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedbyHorus View Post
    Even if its just simple cell organisms that STILL would be amazing.
    Given the extreme rarity of life in the universe (I've explained it to you before ), it's highly unlikely that they'll find microbes. But yeah, sure, it would be cool.
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

“Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

“The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

“Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

Amnesty Member
    Molecular Biologist The American's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:59
    Y-DNA
    R-P311
    mtDNA
    K1a3a1
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    New World Europen
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Politics
    Independent.
    Religion
    Roman Catholic.
    United States United Kingdom Ireland France Germany Netherlands

Though I am a firm follower of the Fermi Paradox I'm pretty certain that, at the very least, bacteria or simple unicellular life has to exist someplace in the cosmos. I think it'd have to be pretty hardy too if it, say, existed in conditions like on Mars or on one of the Jovian or Saturnian moons.

Society has been so conditioned by 'tarded science fiction movies (I just scifi movies by the standards of 2001: A Space Odyssey and similar films so I'm a bit of a stickler- modern scifi movies are beer & pretzels stuff for me :P) and tele programs that when the average normie thinks about life 'out there' the first thought that jumps into said normie's head has to be something like Mr. Spock, Yoda, or the klingons.
    Last edited by The American; 2018-05-15 at 03:45.
    In Hell there is Democracy, in Heaven there is a Kingdom
    Saint John of Kronstadt

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Doggerlandic
    Ethnicity
    South Norse
    Phenotype
    Kostenkioid
    Politics
    Relativism
    Religion
    None
    Denmark Viking Finland Spain Castile

Can't have been too important, no announcements anywhere I could see? There was something about an asteroid, 2010 WC9, but there has been so many asteroids lately that it's hardly headline stuff?

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ApostateAbe's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:08
    T
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Race
    Europoid
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Politics
    Libertarianish
    Religion
    no religion
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    Can't have been too important, no announcements anywhere I could see? There was something about an asteroid, 2010 WC9, but there has been so many asteroids lately that it's hardly headline stuff?
    It was about subsurface plumes of water vapor on Europa, which may be an environment for life. I got it from the NASA website, not from I Fucking Love Blowing Smoke Up Your Ass.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7122

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ApostateAbe For This Useful Post:

JaM (2018-05-16)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Doggerlandic
    Ethnicity
    South Norse
    Phenotype
    Kostenkioid
    Politics
    Relativism
    Religion
    None
    Denmark Viking Finland Spain Castile

Quote Originally Posted by ApostateAbe View Post
    It was about subsurface plumes of water vapor on Europa, which may be an environment for life. I got it from the NASA website, not from I Fucking Love Blowing Smoke Up Your Ass.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7122
    Ok, I already saw and read that one, I just didn't think it was that much of a "big announcement" as it was just corroborating evidence for something the practically already knew.