User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Alexa Really Is Listening To Your Private Conversations455 days old

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ~Elizabeth~'s Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    H1c12
    Politics
    Trump 2020
    United States

Default Amazon Alexa Really Is Listening To Your Private Conversations

Turns Out Amazon Alexa Really Is Listening To Your Private Conversations

Since the rise of Amazon’s Alexa, tech junkies have speculated the device is secretly listening to private conversations. So-called tech experts often laughed at those claims, but it turns out the artificial intelligence device really does listen to people’s personal exchanges.

A Portland, Ore., family discovered their Amazon Alexa recorded a private conversation and sent it to a Seattle person in the family’s contact list.

“My husband and I would joke and say, ‘I’d bet these devices are listening to what we’re saying,'” said Danielle, whose last name was withheld by KIRO-TV.

Two weeks ago, the family received a disturbing phone call from one of Danielle’s husband’s employees in Seattle.

“The person on the other line said, ‘Unplug your Alexa devices right now,'” Danielle said, according to KIRO-TV. “‘You’re being hacked.'”

“We unplugged all of them, and he proceeded to tell us that he had received audio files of recordings from inside our house,” Danielle said. “At first, my husband was, like, ‘No you didn’t!’ And [her husband’s employee in Seattle] said ‘You sat there talking about hardwood floors.’ And we said, ‘Oh gosh, you really did hear us.'”

The family owns several Amazon devices — all of which use the AI-powered virtual assistant, Alexa. Alexa starts recording conversations when it hears a “wake word,” which is usually “Alexa,” but it can be customized.

“When your device detects the wake word, it streams audio to the Cloud in order to process your request and return a response,” an Amazon spokesman said, according to an April 14 report from The Daily Caller News Foundation.

The information that’s recorded is placed in a digital log, which the device’s owner can access and delete.

“Amazon takes privacy very seriously. We investigated what happened and determined this was an extremely rare occurrence. We are taking steps to avoid this from happening in the future,” Amazon said to KIRO-TV.

The company apologized for the incident, Danielle said.

“I felt invaded,” Danielle told KIRO-TV. “A total privacy invasion. Immediately I said, ‘I’m never plugging that device in again, because I can’t trust it.'”

Amazon refused to refund her for the Alexa, Danielle added.

Despite Daneille’s claims, Amazon seemingly rationalized it all away:

“Echo woke up due to a word in background conversation sounding like ‘Alexa.’ Then, the subsequent conversation was heard as a ‘send message’ request. At which point, Alexa said out loud ‘To whom?’ At which point, the background conversation was interpreted as a name in the customer’s contact list. Alexa then asked out loud, ‘[contact name], right?’ Alexa then interpreted background conversation as ‘right.’ As unlikely as this string of events is, we are evaluating options to make this case even less likely,” according to an Amazon spokesperson’s claim.

This story has been updated to reflect a claim from an Amazon spokesperson at 8:52PM EDT May 24, 2018.
    http://dailycaller.com/2018/05/24/po...conversations/

I don't own an Alexa and don't know anyone who does but I did see a commercial for it and thought if it's listening to commands it must be listening to everything that's being said.

This thread is basically a warning to anyone who owns an Alexa or is thinking of buying an Alexa.

Anyone on this forum have an Alexa or thinking of getting one?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    2018-12-04 @ 07:13
    R1b-SRY 2627 - A7080
    mtDNA
    H5a1f
    Phenotype
    Archaic Nomenclature
    Politics
    Not a Fan
    GEDmatch
    M202348
    United States Germany Poland Poland Volhynia Switzerland Scotland

Nope Alexa, Home, Cortana and Siri are just creepy. As I'm such an old fart I would much rather type on a keyboard. I have no desire whatsoever to talk to a computer.

.. now back to the important things in life like playing Atari 2600 games on my Atari Flashback Portable
    Last edited by thetick; 2018-05-25 at 05:49.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thetick For This Useful Post:

NixYO (2018-05-25), Pioterus (2018-05-25), ~Elizabeth~ (2018-05-25)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    I1-L258
    mtDNA
    H39
    Phenotype
    Appalachid
    Metaethnos
    Finnic-Baltic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Politics
    Vandalism in Rome
    Finland European Union

It doesn't understand Finnish.
    Blog: http://terheninenmaa.blogspot.fi/, with essence "Believe me, or I'll nuke you".

H39 - Thracia 1650 BC, Hungary 5000 BC
    I1 - Transdanubia 5000 BC

Three simple facts about Finns:
    1. Baltic Finnic languages (including Finnish) never came from the Volga basin along with ancestors of present-day Finns.
    2. Finnish I1 (around 30% of all Finns) has Germanic roots from the late Bronze Age or the early Iron Age.
    3. As to the Finnish prehistory we have no evidences about any Iron Age (or later) east-to-west migration, but many unquestionable evidences about west-to-east migrations.

Väinämöinen - R1a
    Lemminkäinen - I1
    Joukahainen - N

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemminkäinen For This Useful Post:

~Elizabeth~ (2018-05-25)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-07-30 @ 07:14
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b2a1a1 (A2423+)
    mtDNA
    U3a1a(1)
    Race
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Politics
    laissez faire
    Religion
    Metalhead
    Poland Lithuania Grand Duchy

Quote Originally Posted by Lemminkäinen View Post
    It doesn't understand Finnish.
    Complain to Ivona Software guys. They became the Alexa talk magicians. Fire your bombs there, but please not on my Employers floors, as an excuse - he is moving his HQ to Helsinki right now

http://www.gdansk-amazon.com/

The Alexa division has been hiring a lot. Last October, Recode reported there were over 400 openings on Amazon’s Alexa job page, from data engineers to machine-learning scientists. Many of the jobs were in Seattle, site of Amazon’s headquarters. Others were in Cambridge, Massachusetts; Tempe, Arizona, and Gdansk, Poland.
    As I was being interviewed by Amazon some months ago, I learned the core Alexa tech is actually created by Gdansk team. Rest is just sending patents back home to US and filing for them (reading between the lines of super-affectionate lady who video-interviewed me from Seattle HQ).
    and the IEEE Milestone for breaking the Enigma Code goes to... Polish Cipher Bureau 1932-39

“We know each other,” he agreed. “They say that you follow in my steps.”
    “I go my own way. But you, you had never, until just now, looked behind you. You turned back today for the first time.”
    Geralt remained silent. Tired, he had nothing to say. “How... How will it happen?” he asked her at last, coldly and without emotion. “I will take you by the hand,” she replied, looking him straight in the eye. “I will take you by the hand and lead you across the meadow, through a cold and wet fog.” “And after? What is there beyond the fog?” “Nothing,” she replied, smiling. “After that, there is nothing.”
    ― Andrzej Sapkowski
    Świat się zmienia, słońce zachodzi, a wódka się kończy [The world is changing, sun is setting and we're running out of Vodka.]
    ― Andrzej Sapkowski

Amnesty Member
    Molecular Biologist The American's Avatar
    Last Online
    2019-08-18 @ 08:17
    Y-DNA
    R-P311
    mtDNA
    K1a3a1
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    New World Europen
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Politics
    Vlad Dracula 2020
    Religion
    Roman Catholic.
    United States United Kingdom Ireland France Germany Netherlands

I've had a few creepy chats with this free AI.

www.cleverbot.com
    In Hell there is Democracy, in Heaven there is a Kingdom
    Saint John of Kronstadt

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The American For This Useful Post:

~Elizabeth~ (2018-05-25)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    H1c12
    Politics
    Trump 2020
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by thetick View Post
    Nope Alexa, Home, Cortana and Siri are just creepy. As I'm such an old fart I would much rather type on a keyboard. I have no desire whatsoever to talk to a computer.

.. now back to the important things in life like playing Atari 2600 games on my Atari Flashback Portable

I bought a new computer (notebook) and set it up the other day and it has/had voice instructions from Cortana. I shut it off when the option came up. It has Windows 10. My Dell must be at least ten years old. I don't remember when I bought it but it has/had Vista and now says XP.

Molecular Biologist DracoSentien's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:17
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    Queen Victoria's H
    Race
    Caucasian
    Metaethnos
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    methodist
    United States United Kingdom Scotland Canada Weed Flag New Zealand Australia

Quote Originally Posted by ~Elizabeth~ View Post
    Turns Out Amazon Alexa Really Is Listening To Your Private Conversations

http://dailycaller.com/2018/05/24/po...conversations/

I don't own an Alexa and don't know anyone who does but I did see a commercial for it and thought if it's listening to commands it must be listening to everything that's being said.

This thread is basically a warning to anyone who owns an Alexa or is thinking of buying an Alexa.

Anyone on this forum have an Alexa or thinking of getting one?
    I knew about this already it was reported doing some other strange stuff too the software is really beta , not for prime time, and not alpha. I got a free amazon echo with a deal and I never used it because of stuff like that.
    Last edited by DracoSentien; 2019-05-10 at 07:57.

Molecular Biologist DracoSentien's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:17
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    Queen Victoria's H
    Race
    Caucasian
    Metaethnos
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    methodist
    United States United Kingdom Scotland Canada Weed Flag New Zealand Australia

Quote Originally Posted by thetick View Post

I dunno, if it has to do with us being older than it has to do with talking to half-baked not fully sentient AI with a narrow intelligence that does not look like a robot is plain creepy. I have seen both teens and older people take advantage of this on their phones but I prefer the virtual keyboard on a smart phone. The only way I could justify ths is if I was driving or something but I still have not done it.

In the year 2050 it will not be creepy because AI will be full blown with perhaps an accompanying holodeck or robot but right now AI is in its infancy.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    H1c12
    Politics
    Trump 2020
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by DracoSentien View Post
    I knew about this already it was reported doing some other strange stuff too the software is really beta , not for prime time, and not alpha. I got a free amazon echo with a deal and I never used it because of stuff like that.

Thanks for posting/bumping up this thread from last year. I forgot I made this thread. I'd be wary of Alexa/echo or anything similar.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    H1c12
    Politics
    Trump 2020
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by ~Elizabeth~ View Post
    I bought a new computer (notebook) and set it up the other day and it has/had voice instructions from Cortana. I shut it off when the option came up. It has Windows 10. My Dell must be at least ten years old. I don't remember when I bought it but it has/had Vista and now says XP.
    I forgot I made this post. Update is that within a few days my "new computer" (from 2018) got hacked into by someone claiming to be from Microsoft, giving me voice instructions. He wanted me to buy $500 worth of google play gift cards to pay for virus protection. Long story short I returned the computer to Walmart for a full refund.

My Dell finally completely broke down on me this year (2019) and I bought a chromebook laptop. I eventually adapted to it and it works great.
    Last edited by ~Elizabeth~; 2019-05-10 at 09:27.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast