Thread: What did the Byzantines (Eastern Romans) look like?3445 days old

Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaoense View Post
    Did they look like most modern-day Turkish people?:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...in_Belgium.jpg

Or did these phenotypes only arrive to the area when it was taken over by the ottomans?
    This phenotypes are among mostly people in eastern turkey. I can even see many kurdish face phenotypes on that pic. then it's not something new that many of those turks in Europe are kurds.

---------- Post added 2010-05-17 at 11:00 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sgh View Post
    I think the picture is a good representation...they're waving Turkish flags so they're most likely Turks not Kurds. These are the types that are predominant in inner Anatolia; which is to say the majority of Turks. I would say the Byzantines resembled the people of Greece/Balkans more so than the people of Anatolia.
    I'am kurdish and not nationalist and I can hold a turkish flags if I want it, you are a assyrian bastard who know notting but respond in anger and hatred that you have done since u become member.
    Last edited by limeon; 2010-05-17 at 10:00.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to limeon For This Useful Post:

Cinnabar (2010-05-17), Jander Sunstar (2012-05-30), Kyte (2010-05-17), umit (2010-05-18)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    2011-11-06 @ 21:38
    Croatian
    Phenotype
    West Mediterranean
    Croatia

They looked like Jim Belushi.

Established Member
    Last Online
    2013-01-17 @ 12:01
    All for All
    Religion
    Supporting sides

They probably were near to perhaps people from parts of the Balkans to say Turkey, which may be the reason that some similarites may appear.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2019-10-13 @ 10:32
    Ethnicity
    Canadian

Quote Originally Posted by Mike the Jedi View Post
    As Cinnabar already stated, they looked like exactly what you'd expect.
    evidence?

Byzantine Greeks maybe, but I still have a very hard time believing that the Greek people have had major genetic continuity for the last 2500 years

Banned
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    J1b1a
    Race
    West Eurasian
    Ethnicity
    Greek-American
    Phenotype
    East Mediterranean
    Politics
    Cosmopolite
    Religion
    Irreligionist
    Greece United States

Why? Who do you propose came in and changed them? Slavs? Turks? My curiosity is piqued.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Canadian

Quote Originally Posted by Mike the Jedi View Post
    Why? Who do you propose came in and changed them? Slavs? Turks? My curiosity is piqued.
    Well, given their geographic situation and the fact that it is almost at the center of the history of western civilization as long as you include the middle east, you don;t think that tiny landmass in the Aegean has hosted various non native populations to some degree over the past 2500 years, or we can say 2100 years when the Roman occupation started. And yes the Ottoman empire is a factor, ask the Adyghe people how much they liked to fornicate with lighter skinned woman

I've become well acquainted with people from the "Slavic" country of Macedonia in the last year and I can tell you that they are rather significantly lighter pigmented then Greeks from Aegean area. Greeks from south of Thessaloniki or Greek Macedonia have the reputation of having the skin tone of "gypsies" to them. Not my words its theirs, but if you ask me their people have been about as much affected by Slavic demic infusion as the French were to the Romans despite them speaking a Romance language
    Last edited by ghostface; 2010-05-21 at 01:48.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Canadian

I hope you not responding is not some passive aggressive way of claiming that my question is too stupid to answer and therefore not worth answering. Its a very valid assumption and no decent counter argument has ever been made

Established Member
    Pontificus Minimus Geto-Thracian's Avatar
    Last Online
    2018-06-30 @ 20:26
    P-312*
    mtDNA
    V2
    Race
    Caucasian
    Metaethnos
    Getae
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Phenotype
    Carpathian
    Politics
    Kangaroo court
    Religion
    Richard Dawkins
    Moldova Canada Romania Skull and crossbones Serbia coat of arms

Quote Originally Posted by ghostface View Post
    Well, given their geographic situation and the fact that it is almost at the center of the history of western civilization as long as you include the middle east, you don;t think that tiny landmass in the Aegean has hosted various non native populations to some degree over the past 2500 years, or we can say 2100 years when the Roman occupation started. And yes the Ottoman empire is a factor, ask the Adyghe people how much they liked to fornicate with lighter skinned woman

I've become well acquainted with people from the "Slavic" country of Macedonia in the last year and I can tell you that they are rather significantly lighter pigmented then Greeks from Aegean area. Greeks from south of Thessaloniki or Greek Macedonia have the reputation of having the skin tone of "gypsies" to them. Not my words its theirs, but if you ask me their people have been about as much affected by Slavic demic infusion as the French were to the Romans despite them speaking a Romance language
    Can't forget the influence of vlahs (aromanians, macedo-romanians, daco-romanians, megleno-romanians). We were always a big part of the southern balkans and still have a huge genetic footprint on all balkanic slavs and greeks.

Did you know that the vlah city of Moscopole in modern Albania was the largest and most important city in the balkans next to Constantinople? up till the 18th century)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscopole

AND up in the mountains and not on any important trade route. Vlahs probably have the biggest influence in the entire balkans besides Slavs (Justinian, Constantine and many Roman emperors were of this stock also)

VIVA VALAHIA!
    Last edited by Geto-Thracian; 2010-05-23 at 00:42.
    Man will only be truly free when the last stone from the last church/temple/mosque falls on the last priest/rabbi/imam!

"E Zola"

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Brazilian
    Brazil

There are Byzantine mosaics and other human depictions. They were definitely an interesting civilisation!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Byzantine_floor_mosaic_on_Flickr.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	5956  
    Last edited by Ubirajara; 2010-05-23 at 00:47.

Established Member
    Last Online
    2011-12-24 @ 21:06
    Turkmen
    Religion
    Flying Spaghetti Monst
    Turkmenistan Turkey Islamic Republic of Iran

I think there is nothing such as specific Byzantine type or something,It was a vast empire with diversity of phenotypes.Greeks from İstanbul are whiter than people of Pelopennes and nearby;Greeks of Pontos are very similar to Laz people;according to Strabon-who lived 2000 years ago- people of Trabzon are Greekised ''Tzanis''(close relatives of Laz people) and he says that they are ''the grandsons of Kolhis''
    Central Anatolian Greeks are-were darker,they were probably more close to ancient Anatolians than Greeks.
    Another group is Karamanlis who Turkish speaking Christians,are heavily mixed with Turks and thats why can't be representative for this thread.
    I've become well acquainted with people from the "Slavic" country of Macedonia in the last year and I can tell you that they are rather significantly lighter pigmented then Greeks from Aegean area
    As far as I remember R1a is more common in north of Greece where close to Macedonia,its clearly Slavic affect.
    Can't forget the influence of vlahs (aromanians, macedo-romanians, daco-romanians, megleno-romanians). We were always a big part of the southern balkans and still have a huge genetic footprint on all balkanic slavs and greeks.
    That's right,but don't forget Albanians who were resided at Pelopennes and at the west of country,they all are mostly assimilised though.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast