User Tag List

Thread: Translation and Language Assistance โ€” ENGLISH ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ณ ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿ‡ฏ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฌ ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ11 days old

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Doggerlandic
    Ethnicity
    South Norse
    Phenotype
    Kostenkioid
    Politics
    Relativism
    Religion
    None
    Denmark Viking Finland Spain Castile

Default Translation and Language Assistance โ€” ENGLISH ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ณ ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿ‡ฏ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฌ ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

I think it's odd that there's no such thread about our common language here, because I have a question about an English translation and there are only threads about other languages. Considering a large percentage of the posters here are native English speakers, I think it would be a useful tread for us who aren't!

The question I have is: If you have a case where you have a security area between two rooms, which consists of a third room, what is that room called? Let's say you have a buffer area between a hospital room and the rest of the hospital, what is this buffer area called? I assume it could be a "lock", but if I search for "security lock" all I get is info about locks which has keys in them, that kind of lock. If a room is used for equalizing pressure, it is called an airlock, which to me suggests that "lock" would be the most appropriate word for such a function, but all info I can find about the word "lock" is about the kind you open with key.

Maybe it is obvious for a native speaker of English, but in my language those two functionalities have two separate and unrelated words, lรฅs & sluse. It's nearly impossible to translate this concept based on online translators as they can't figure out how to translate in context.

How do you convey this kind of in-between room, in the case where its a security function, a room locked in both ends, where only one door can open at a time, or in the case where it's an in between security area in a hospital or a laboratory?
    "A bloke walks into a pub, and asks for a pint of Adenosinetriphosphate.
    The barman says "That'll be ATP please!"
    -------
    โ€œThat which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.โ€

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JaM For This Useful Post:

NixYO (2018-07-08)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Last Online
    @
    Metaethnos
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Russia United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    How do you convey this kind of in-between room, in the case where its a security function, a room locked in both ends, where only one door can open at a time, or in the case where it's an in between security area in a hospital or a laboratory?
    Well, looks like you're referring to an airlock (room).
    BTW there is a perfect English word sluice similar to your Danish word sluse, though it only means a sliding gate or other device for controlling the flow of water, especially one in a lock gate.
    And one more thing - such a room is not for security but for safety rather.

Otherwise - it's exactly a buffer room, such as used in a pharmacy or buffer zone.
    Last edited by TruthSeeker; 2018-07-09 at 09:20.
    The truth is elusive, what's proven today might be gone by tomorrow...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TruthSeeker For This Useful Post:

JaM (2018-07-09)