User Tag List

Thread: Translation and Language Assistance โ€” ENGLISH ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ณ ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿ‡ฏ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฌ ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ79 days old

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Doggerlandic
    Ethnicity
    South Norse
    Phenotype
    Kostenkioid
    Politics
    Relativism
    Religion
    None
    Denmark Viking Finland Spain Castile

Default Translation and Language Assistance โ€” ENGLISH ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ณ ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿ‡ฏ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฌ ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

I think it's odd that there's no such thread about our common language here, because I have a question about an English translation and there are only threads about other languages. Considering a large percentage of the posters here are native English speakers, I think it would be a useful tread for us who aren't!

The question I have is: If you have a case where you have a security area between two rooms, which consists of a third room, what is that room called? Let's say you have a buffer area between a hospital room and the rest of the hospital, what is this buffer area called? I assume it could be a "lock", but if I search for "security lock" all I get is info about locks which has keys in them, that kind of lock. If a room is used for equalizing pressure, it is called an airlock, which to me suggests that "lock" would be the most appropriate word for such a function, but all info I can find about the word "lock" is about the kind you open with key.

Maybe it is obvious for a native speaker of English, but in my language those two functionalities have two separate and unrelated words, lรฅs & sluse. It's nearly impossible to translate this concept based on online translators as they can't figure out how to translate in context.

How do you convey this kind of in-between room, in the case where its a security function, a room locked in both ends, where only one door can open at a time, or in the case where it's an in between security area in a hospital or a laboratory?
    The husband who decides to surprise his wife is often very much surprised himself.
    The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JaM For This Useful Post:

NixYO (2018-07-08)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Last Online
    @
    Metaethnos
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Russia United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    How do you convey this kind of in-between room, in the case where its a security function, a room locked in both ends, where only one door can open at a time, or in the case where it's an in between security area in a hospital or a laboratory?
    Well, looks like you're referring to an airlock (room).
    BTW there is a perfect English word sluice similar to your Danish word sluse, though it only means a sliding gate or other device for controlling the flow of water, especially one in a lock gate.
    And one more thing - such a room is not for security but for safety rather.

Otherwise - it's exactly a buffer room, such as used in a pharmacy or buffer zone.
    Last edited by TruthSeeker; 2018-07-09 at 09:20.
    The truth is elusive, what's proven today might be gone by tomorrow...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TruthSeeker For This Useful Post:

JaM (2018-07-09), NixYO (2018-08-08)