User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do people actually believe in "social status"?356 days old

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:14
    Question Do people actually believe in "social status"?

There's something I wonder... do people actually believe in "social status"? Online, I've found people ask questions like: are they're a loser for attending a community college, a loser for not having a job, a loser for not going to college, etc.

I mean... are people actually serious? People are born out of the blue, and they live their lives. If someone lived with their parents until they were 40, it wouldn't mean a thing. If someone played video games all day, it would be meaningless. They are doing what they want with their lives. It is completely made-up in someone's mind, if another person is a "winner" or "loser."

For a moment... I'll pretend social status is real. Even if this were the case, many people don't have the money to attend a community college, much less a university. Many people have little to no money, rather they have a job or receive some kind of welfare. I've never thought of someone as a winner or a loser, but I guess that makes sense, considering it would have to be made-up.

What are your opinions? Are people actually serious here? Do people really care what kind of car they drive, what college they go to, having a beautiful girlfriend, etc? I don't. It's not important. In fact, caring about these types of things would mean you're materialistic, it would mean you want more, more, more, etc, of these physical things which are temporary and not important.

I remember a quote I read before, it is in the Bible. Essentially, it said setting the mind on material things is death, but setting the mind on spiritual things is peace. That quote seems to perfectly sum up social status. Social status is not seeing the inner person, but all the outer things about the person.

Do you believe in "social status"?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-07-19 @ 20:14
    Q-M3
    mtDNA
    A2
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Phenotype
    Mestizo
    Religion
    Atheist
    United States Mexico

It's an unfortunate way of life, majority of the world's population do adhere to the concept of "status".

I won't deny that having wealth or a title definitely helps in our status driven society, but as you age, many also realize that life is too short to get too invested in these minuscule details.

In the end, we're all equal once we're six feet under.
    "Living or dying, it's not a big deal. What we should be concerned about is whether or not we're allowed to crawl to our graves."

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a_garcia49 For This Useful Post:

upyours (2018-08-01), voyager (2018-07-31), x93t (2018-07-31)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist Acquisitorz's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Liberal
    Religion
    Lol
    Flanders lion Israel Russia

1) more developed people dont care what others think of them. On any level. I can not emphasize this enough.

2) assigning a status to others or to yourself based on whatever the society sees as "status" is a stupid limitation for yourself or for others. Fuck that shit

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Acquisitorz For This Useful Post:

Pioterus (2018-08-01), The American (2018-07-31), upyours (2018-08-01), voyager (2018-07-31), x93t (2018-07-31)

Amnesty Member
    Molecular Biologist The American's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:59
    Y-DNA
    R-P311
    mtDNA
    K1a3a1
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    New World Europen
    Ethnicity
    British-American
    Politics
    Independent.
    Religion
    Roman Catholic.
    United States United Kingdom Ireland France Germany Netherlands

Realistically-speaking there are two types of people in the world: the haves and the have-nots, which is the vast majority of the human race. I don't begrudge the haves their prosperity, assuming they're not robber barons or war profiteers and whatnot, and I'm quite content being a random nobody.
    Last edited by The American; 2018-07-31 at 07:17.
    In Hell there is Democracy, in Heaven there is a Kingdom
    Saint John of Kronstadt

Last Online
    2018-07-31 @ 12:02

Online? Online's a poor reflection of life. Some people online have socialization issues so of course they’ll feel like losers. Others are drama queens who’ll empathize "poor me" seeking likes, thumbs up, etc. to feel special about themselves. A lot of that is self-esteem & that’s not social status.

As for social status. In real life, yeah social status is quite real.

It’s the reason why the poor man stays poor and wonders why he’ll have to keep working until his 60s, even 70s, before he can entertain the idea of retirement.

It’s the reason why the rich man, unless something bad happens, stays rich and laughs at the poor people while lounging on his whatever million-dollar yacht.

It’s the reason why the middle class, all around the world, is been squeezed out of existence as prices raise to cater to the rich and poor economy keeps salaries stagnant.

It’s the reason why minorities – non-European or European – are stuck in ghettos or on the “wrong side of the tracks” because they can’t find anyone willing to give them a chance due to color of skin, looks or simply accent.

It's the reason why the term "keep up with the Joneses" was coined - the need to emulate or outdo your neighbor - the reason why someone on seeing their neighbor with a brand new car will go & buy a brand new more expensive model.

It's the reason why large/expensive newly built houses are popular. People want to brag to friends, family, colleagues I live in a 5 bedrooms, 3 bedroom, etc. house & though I can barely afford the mortgage I'm still grander than you cause I paid $500,000+.

It's the reason why car companies spend thousands on advertising new models year after year making it seem "losers" don't buy the shiny new models when the only real difference is one, maybe two, additions that costs $5,000+.

It's the reason why phone companies, clothing companies, etc. do the same marketing scam - made easier when a "celebrity" endorses the item as then everyone & the family dog wants one to feel they're not quite of their exact social status but "cool".

Seriously

The only sort who’d think social status doesn’t exist/isn’t real are the sort of people who really haven’t experienced life or don't belong to a minority group and thus haven't experienced the discriminatory side that helps maintain social status.

Or are resigned - the ones at the local coffee shop or pub complaining about this & that day in & day out throughout the weeks, months, years but do little to change it - to living life on whatever societal rung they landed on.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WolfBane For This Useful Post:

DragonRouge (2018-07-31)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:09
    Y-DNA
    J2b2*
    mtDNA
    H1
    Race
    Caucasoid
    Metaethnos
    White American
    Ethnicity
    Greco-Mediterranean
    Phenotype
    Pompeii frescoe
    Politics
    I don't do politics
    Religion
    Panentheism
    Germany Japan Italy

As long as you are healthy who gives a shit? We live in a universe that has at least 2 trillion galaxies and is billions of years old. Human status is as relevant as Ant Status. To say its extremely trivial is giving it too much credit.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Arch Hades For This Useful Post:

voyager (2018-07-31)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-02-23 @ 20:55
    I1d
    mtDNA
    B2
    Race
    Triracial
    Metaethnos
    Afro-Viking AmerIndian
    Ethnicity
    Black/African American
    Phenotype
    FAIL! Try genetics.
    Sweden African Union(OAS) United States United States Eastern Band Cherokee Cuba

I definitely believe 'social status' exists even though I may disagree with its ramifications and requirements. I also think we are free to disregard it or challenge it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CWF For This Useful Post:

a_garcia49 (2018-07-31)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Male relatives J1c3
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Metaethnos
    Métis-Souriquois
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Politics
    Shawinigan Handshake
    Religion
    Atheist
    Canada Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Basque Faroe Islands Viking

It exists and anybody who says they don’t care about social status is lying.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DragonRouge For This Useful Post:

a_garcia49 (2018-07-31), CWF (2018-08-01)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Caucasoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Ethnicity
    Persian
    Religion
    Buddhist
    United States

I remember reading a study about how those on lower-class, on average, tend to have less metacognitive awareness than those in upper-classes. There are also neuroanatomical changes corresponding to this.

I prefer a more rigid caste system rather than one that is extremely fluid. You know, the system of Brahmin, magi, and such.

You have to always invest and be on your toes to maintain socioeconomic status in this day and age. It has led to a situation where a lot of the upper-class tends to be philistine hustle-bustlers, ignorant of most nuanced questions in life. This is due to upper-class, besides the extreme wealthy, possessing little leisure time to ruminate on the important questions of life. Well, this is relatively speaking to the past.

I've gone from upper middle to lower, to lower and upper middle class, in the period of a few months. The lower-class have to possess low metacognitive awareness, conscience, and so forth necessary to survive. This is why vulgarity is very common among their kind, and why lower and upper classes rarely intermingle, except in recent history. Something like that. They don't have time for an Ingmar Bergman film or to read Jane Austin anymore. I will never, in my life, be egalitarian and acknowledge any similarity between us whatsoever; sophisticated elitism is the foundation of strong cultures. It's the responsibility of upper-class, like the Brahmin of India, to ask the more important philosophical and social questions that the rabble cannot. The upper-class should use their leisure time to penetrate the more difficult-to-grasp ontological, environmental, social, and etc. questions of life and promote virtue.

I always become annoyed when dealing with the unwise low-class who act like they have all the big questions figured out. A bunch of curs who think their uneducated opinions can reach the depth of actual scholars or people who read a lot, possessing both wider breadth and depth in knowledge. Bring back the aristocrats or something like that and create a bigger unbridgeable gap between upper and lower class beside on actual metrics like IQ or something.
    Last edited by An Shigao; 2018-08-01 at 00:27.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:14

Quote Originally Posted by DragonRouge View Post
    It exists and anybody who says they don’t care about social status is lying.
    How does it exist?

Because people make-up words like winners and losers and call other people that stuff?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast