User Tag List

Thread: Why isn't Canada's Quebec considered part of Latin America? 🇨🇦446 days old

Banned
    Last Online
    2018-08-29 @ 15:06
    Indo-European

Question Why isn't Canada's Quebec considered part of Latin America? 🇨🇦

The French are one of Romance (Latin) nations, France is considered part of Latin (Romance-speaking) Europe.

So why isn't Quebec considered part of Latin America and why aren't French-Canadians considered Latinos?
    Windows 10 Chrome 67.0.3396.99

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Banned
    Last Online
    Indo-European

Quote Originally Posted by The American View Post
    Quebec wasn't founded by Spaniards.
    Neither was Brazil.

Latin Europe is not only Spain. It is also France, Italy, Romania, Portugal, etc.

Banned
    Last Online
    Indo-European

Quote Originally Posted by DragonRouge View Post
    That is how Latinos were created: by Richard Nixon.
    But back in Europe, there is still a thing called "Latin Europe" or "Romance Europe":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance-speaking_world

Banned
    Last Online
    Indo-European

Quote Originally Posted by CWF View Post
    So under your theory Haitians would also be Latino? After all Haiti is located on one third of the Island of Hispaniola. So there is Spanish and French influence. They speak French creole though.
    Yes, in my opinion Haiti is also part of Latin America.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Age of Taurus For This Useful Post:

CWF (2018-08-02)

Banned
    Last Online
    Indo-European

That is how Latinos were created: by Richard Nixon.

I want to say they were mostly previously considered “white” (?) but politicians noticed that campaign messages that worked on other white people didn’t quite work with them... and then as a diverse group. you have Mexicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, etc etc etc, and you have Afro-Latinos, and white Latinos, and Mestizos, etc... probably quite diverse in their political views... it likely strategic to group them all together, into one bloc, since it is kind of human nature to go along with the group you are in, even if you’re put there by somebody else, it’s just a weird thing we do. Thus, the creation of Latinos, a nice little voting bloc for the Democrats and Republicans to fight over.

Not saying French-Canadians are not a voting bloc, we are, and quite a powerful one, but it was more organically formed as French-Canadians are not as diverse as a demographic.
    But back in Europe, there is still a thing called Latin Europe or Romance Europe.

Nations influenced by the Roman Empire and speaking Latin-derived languages:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance-speaking_world

Quote Originally Posted by CWF View Post
    So under your theory Haitians would also be Latino? After all Haiti is located on one third of the Island of Hispaniola. So there is Spanish and French influence. They speak French creole though.
    Yes, in my opinion Haiti is also part of Latin America.

Banned
    Last Online
    Indo-European

I predict the same will happen to Latinos, actually. I don’t think that the US will become majority non-white in 2040, but instead, Latinos will become “white”.
    However, most of Latinos don't look fully white but mixed, and cannot pass in Europe.

Banned
    Last Online
    Indo-European

Many can. 53% of Latinos in the US are of European ancestry.
    They just self-identify as Europeans in the census, but in terms of actual genetic ancestry, they are not 100% European. I guess they are anything between 60% and 80% European (the ones who claim being "white"). Sure, some of them can convincingly pass as "white-looking". But some others cannot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e6ChgL1EC4

Another 30 some % are Mestizo. I think the picture of a Latino in somebody’s mind is a Mestizo person, maybe more leaning to Amerindian looking. I know this is the case for me, when I think of Latino, the mental picture that pops into my head is somebody who looks like George Lopez, but that is not the majority.
    In Latin America often there is not much of actual genetic difference between a self-identified Mestizo person and a self-identified White. In Chile most people identify as White, in Paraguay most identify as Mestizo. But when you read genetic studies about Chileans and Paraguayans, you will see that both countries are mostly Mestizo. Actually an average Paraguayan even has a slightly higher % of European.

But if a Mestizo-looking person can get accepted as "white" in Chile, then maybe one day in the USA Mestizo-looking people will also be seen as "white", as long as they will identify as such.

However, right now people are suspicious if you identify as something you don't look like. This even refers to people who identify as Native Americans but "look too much like a white fellow":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AtbGOBC1zU

And passing in Europe != white. There were European ethnic groups not considered white in the past and I remember an award show years ago talking about the high number of “diverse” nominees... they listed Javier Bardem as one example. He’s actually from Europe.
    I've heard this before. For example there are claims that the Irish were not considered white. But I've also read opinions to the contrary. One Irish woman on another forum claimed that the Irish have always been seen as whites in the USA (perhaps as a different category of whites, but still as whites):

Quote Originally Posted by Irish user on another forum
    (...) I wish people would stop promoting this inaccuracy. Even in the US Southern Europeans were never looked on as non-white and of course Irish were never viewed as non-white. People can't seem to understand that if people were viewed as "lesser" they weren't viewed as non-white. There was never any laws (ever) in the US that singled out people like the Irish (or other Europeans). They were never excluded from all white schools or stopped from marrying other Europeans etc. There was laws against Asians, African descended people and Native Americans but not against any European groups. This all started with that book about "How the Irish Became White" and people have run with it.

Irish discrimination was always based on religion and if an Irish man changed religion they could become part of that WASP class. Being WASP also had a class and wealth aspect to it. Many Americans today who think they are similar to "WASPs" would have been excluded from that group if they were just lowly farmers or ordinary folk.
    Last edited by Age of Taurus; 2018-08-02 at 13:36.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    Dominican
    Phenotype
    Stereotypical
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Agnostic

Quote Originally Posted by Age of Taurus View Post
    And aren't Canadians just Snow Mexicans?
    Are you talking about the Eskimos?
    Chrome OS Chrome 67.0.3396.99

Established Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:06
    Q-M3
    mtDNA
    A2
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Phenotype
    Mestizo
    Religion
    Atheist
    United States Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Age of Taurus View Post
    And aren't Canadians just Snow Mexicans?
    By this logic, US Native Americans are just Central Mexicans lol, just cause they have indigenous influence doesn't mean they're similar to Mexican indigenous culture.
    "Living or dying, it's not a big deal. What we should be concerned about is whether or not we're allowed to crawl to our graves."
    Mac OS X 10.13 Firefox 61.0

12. The Following User Says Thank You to a_garcia49 For This Useful Post:

voyager (2018-08-03)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    N-CTS2929
    mtDNA
    I4
    Race
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Christianity
    Sweden Finland Kalmar Union Sweden Tre Kronor Russia

This thread was started by a banned Polish stalker and therefore I am going to throw this thread into the Recycle Bin. 11 posts written by other member moved to the thread Are Quebec & Haiti Latin American Too?.

Ethnicity, Race & Nation → Recycle Bin

/mod
    “And, furthermore, that some people have a sex life and others don’t just because some are more attractive than others. I wanted to acknowledge that if people don’t have a sex life, it’s not for some moral reason, it’s just because they’re ugly. Once you’ve said it, it sounds obvious, but I wanted to say it.” — Michel Houellebecq
    Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 61.0

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NixYO For This Useful Post:

MnM (2018-08-03)