User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Communist China shuts down Christian churches, confiscates Bibles, terrorizes worshippers347 days old

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ~Elizabeth~'s Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    H1c12
    Politics
    Trump 2020
    United States

Default Communist China shuts down Christian churches, confiscates Bibles, terrorizes worshippers

August 07, 2018 06:45 AM

Updated 1 hour 18 minutes ago
    NANYANG, China

The 62-year-old Chinese shopkeeper had waited nearly his entire adult life to see his dream of building a church come true — a brick house with a sunny courtyard and spacious hall with room for 200 believers.

But in March, about a dozen police officers and local officials suddenly showed up at the church on his property and made the frightened congregants disperse. They ordered that the cross, a painting of the Last Supper and Bible verse calligraphy be taken down. And they demanded that all services stop until each person along with the church itself was registered with the government, said the shopkeeper, Guo, who gave his last name only from fear of retribution.

Without warning, Guo and his neighbors in China’s Christian heartland province of Henan had found themselves on the front lines of an ambitious new effort by the officially atheist ruling Communist Party to dictate — and in some cases displace — the practice of faith in the country.

Under President Xi Jinping, China’s most powerful leader since Mao Zedong, believers are seeing their freedoms shrink dramatically even as the country undergoes a religious revival. Experts and activists say that as he consolidates his power, Xi is waging the most severe systematic suppression of Christianity in the country since religious freedom was written into the Chinese constitution in 1982.

The crackdown on Christianity is part of a broader push by Xi to “Sinicize” all the nation’s religions by infusing them with “Chinese characteristics” such as loyalty to the Communist Party. Over the last several months, local governments across the country have shut down hundreds of private Christian “house churches.” A statement last week from 47 in Beijing alone said they had faced “unprecedented” harassment since February.

A dozen Chinese Protestants interviewed by the Associated Press described gatherings that were raided, interrogations and surveillance, and one pastor said hundreds of his congregants were questioned individually about their faith. Like Guo, the majority requested that their names be partly or fully withheld because they feared punishment from authorities.

“Chinese leaders have always been suspicious of the political challenge or threat that Christianity poses to the Communist regime,” said Xi Lian, a scholar of Christianity in China at Duke University. “Under Xi, this fear of Western infiltration has intensified and gained a prominence that we haven’t seen for a long time.”

Officials once largely tolerated the unregistered Protestant house churches that sprang up independent of the official Christian Council, clamping down on some while allowing others to grow. But this year they have taken a tougher approach that relies partly on “thought reform” — a phrase for political indoctrination. Last November, Christian residents of a rural township in southeast Jiangxi province were persuaded to replace posters of the cross and Jesus Christ inside their homes with portraits of Xi, a local official said.

“Through our thought reform, they’ve voluntarily done it,” Qi Yan, a member of the township party committee, told the AP by phone. “The move is aimed at Christian families in poverty, and we educated them to believe in science and not in superstition, making them believe in the party.”

The poster campaign appears to symbolize what analysts see as the underlying force driving the change in the party’s approach to religion: the ascendance of Xi.

“Xi is a closet Maoist — he is very anxious about thought control,” said Willy Lam, a Chinese politics expert at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. “He definitely does not want people to be faithful members of the church, because then people would profess their allegiance to the church rather than to the party, or more exactly, to Xi himself.”

Various state and local officials declined repeated requests to comment. But in 2016, Xi explicitly warned against the perceived foreign threats tied to faith, telling a religion conference: “We must resolutely guard against overseas infiltrations via religious means.”

Those who resist pay the price. After Jin Mingri, a prominent pastor who leads Zion Church in Beijing, refused local authorities’ request to install surveillance cameras inside his house church, police individually questioned hundreds of members of the 1,500-person congregation, he said. The congregants faced veiled threats, Jin said, and many were asked to sign a pledge promising to leave Zion, which the government agents called illegal, politically incorrect and a cult. Some people lost their jobs or were evicted from rented apartments because police intimidated their bosses and landlords.

“A lot of our flock are terrified by the pressure that the government is putting on them,” he said. “It’s painful to think that in our own country’s capital, we must pay so dearly just to practice our faith.”

In Zhengzhou, Henan’s capital, all that is left of one house church is shattered glass, tangled wires and torn hymnbooks, strewn among the rubble of a knocked-down wall. Pegged to another wall is a single wooden cross, still intact.

The church inside a commercial building had served about 100 believers for years. But in late January, nearly 60 officials from the local religion department and police station appeared without warning. Armed with electric saws, they demolished the church, confiscated Bibles and computers and held a handful of young worshippers — including a 14-year-old girl — at a police station for more than 10 hours, according to a church leader.

Even Protestant churches already registered with the state have not been spared greater restrictions. When reporters visited five such churches in Henan this June, all bore notices at their entrances stating that minors and party members were not allowed inside. A banner above one church door exhorted members to “implement the basic direction of the party’s religious work.” Another church erected a Chinese flag at the foot of its steps.

Guo’s brick house was largely deserted this summer. Around the door frame, tattered red outlines remained of a scroll that once read “God’s love is as deep as the sea.”

Inside, Guo has refused to remove the cross and other decorations, telling authorities they are within his private property.

Among them, pinned to a wall in the nave, is a bright blue poster that quotes China’s constitutional promise of religious freedom.
    There are 23 photos at the bottom of the article. https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nat...216218255.html

China's President Xi sounds like a dictator to me. I am glad we have religious freedom in this country. Lucky to be in America.

What are your thoughts after reading this article?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Male relatives J1c3
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Metaethnos
    Métis-Souriquois
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Politics
    Shawinigan Handshake
    Religion
    Atheist
    Canada Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Basque Faroe Islands Viking

It’s sad. I have met Chinese Christians, as well as Muslims and Buddhists, now living in Canada who have told me awful stories.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DragonRouge For This Useful Post:

~Elizabeth~ (2018-08-08)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist Acquisitorz's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Liberal
    Religion
    Lol
    Flanders lion Israel Russia

I fully agree with this move.

Religion is for the weak. The Chinese want the nation to be stronger and smarter than religion.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acquisitorz For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-08-07), Semitic Duwa (2018-09-11)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-07-19 @ 20:14
    Q-M3
    mtDNA
    A2
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Phenotype
    Mestizo
    Religion
    Atheist
    United States Mexico

That's a bit extreme, I'm of the opinion that one should be able to practice their faith, as long as it isn't used to justify government/public policies.
    "Living or dying, it's not a big deal. What we should be concerned about is whether or not we're allowed to crawl to our graves."

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to a_garcia49 For This Useful Post:

DragonRouge (2018-08-07), El Andullero (2018-08-07), Power77 (2018-08-07), ~Elizabeth~ (2018-08-08)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    N-CTS2929
    mtDNA
    I4
    Race
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Christianity
    Sweden Finland Kalmar Union Sweden Tre Kronor Russia

Quote Originally Posted by a_garcia49 View Post
    That's a bit extreme, I'm of the opinion that one should be able to practice their faith, as long as it isn't used to justify government/public policies.
    It is something Sinophobic and fishy about this sort of reporting. Their reluctance towards identifying themselves is suspicious, since the concept of privacy does not – to my knowledge – exist in the Chinese psyche. They must identify themselves for EVERYTHING. And many of these Christian Chinese people were active in small apartment congregations, which could be used by foreign powers as seedbeds for future colour revolutions, instead of the offical churches. The article did mention that some of the official Chinese churches also have been harassed, but I do not think that the Western mainstream media is completely honest here.

Last edited by NixYO; 2018-08-07 at 22:56.
    “And, furthermore, that some people have a sex life and others don’t just because some are more attractive than others. I wanted to acknowledge that if people don’t have a sex life, it’s not for some moral reason, it’s just because they’re ugly. Once you’ve said it, it sounds obvious, but I wanted to say it.” — Michel Houellebecq

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NixYO For This Useful Post:

El Andullero (2018-08-08)

Established Member
    Crossfaded
    Last Online
    @
    Australoid
    Ethnicity
    Moluccan/Ashkenazi
    Phenotype
    Quadracial
    Religion
    Seeking a higher power
    Indonesia Timor Leste Papua New Guinea Israel Star of David Samoa Romania

Quote Originally Posted by Acquisitorz View Post
    I fully agree with this move.

Religion is for the weak. The Chinese want the nation to be stronger and smarter than religion.
    Too bad every important civilization,especially in the past,was built on the back of a religion or God of some kind.
    Last edited by upyours; 2018-08-08 at 02:49.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to upyours For This Useful Post:

~Elizabeth~ (2018-08-08)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ~Elizabeth~'s Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    H1c12
    Politics
    Trump 2020
    United States

More news about China and Christianity.

Chinese Officials Burn Bibles, Close Churches in Crackdown on Christianity

excerpts:
    Activists reportedly filmed footage of what appeared to be piles of burning bibles and forms declaring that the signatories had rejected their faith. The authorities allegedly forced the believers to sign the forms or risk being expelled from school or losing welfare benefits.

A Christian Pastor in the Henan city of Nanyang, whose name was identified out of fear of retaliation by the authorities, reportedly confirmed that crosses, bibles, and furniture were burned during a raid on his church on Sept. 5.
    The reason Chinese officials are burning Bibles (and deleting Bible downloads from the Chinese internet) is that only the government-approved version of the Bible is allowed. In one of the more grotesque abuses of the “Sinicization” program, images of Jesus have been replaced with photos of Xi. In August, Chinese police raided a Christian summer camp, sent the two parish priests who organized the event packing, and replaced them with “state-approved priests.”
    https://www.breitbart.com/national-s...-christianity/
    Last edited by ~Elizabeth~; 2018-09-11 at 12:43.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist Acquisitorz's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Liberal
    Religion
    Lol
    Flanders lion Israel Russia

Quote Originally Posted by upyours View Post
    Too bad every important civilization,especially in the past,was built on the back of a religion or God of some kind.
    You mean despite of it.

Eventually if the mankind survives, our ancestors will look at the period when religions were common in great shame.

In fact religion is so retarded that it makes the cargo cult believers seem rationate of intelligent, since the latter have at least witnessed their "gods".

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Acquisitorz For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-09-11)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-07-12 @ 23:02
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b2a1a1 (A2423+)
    mtDNA
    U3a1a(1)
    Race
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Politics
    laissez faire
    Religion
    Metalhead
    Poland Lithuania Grand Duchy

Quote Originally Posted by Acquisitorz View Post
    You mean despite of it.

Eventually if the mankind survives, our ancestors will look at the period when religions were common in great shame.

In fact religion is so retarded that it makes the cargo cult believers seem rationate of intelligent, since the latter have at least witnessed their "gods".
    Well, while I am as far from religious person as one can be without becoming militant atheist, I do prefer folks believing in some superior beings, than in ideologies or governments.
    And as most of the folks have a deep, hardwired need, to believe in something, they will eventually substitute religion with something else. Social engineering them against that substitution is wasted effort imo.

Question is, what is less dangerous for individuals?
    Totalitarian god-state or a God-Father "ideal" somewhere in heaven?

As I am a newbie into Jordan Peterson/ Ben Shapiro and such stuff, I am not going to cite them, but Peterson makes lots of good points, on his biblical lectures, while actively withdrawing himself from criticizing religion*.

*It is all deeply misanthropic and seems like herder tending to his herd by cautiously balancing logic and metaphysics for best effects, still this is the framework in which we, atheists, thrive. Let's not burn the house we're living in, it's the best house we have so far. We can just help repairing it where it fails.
    Last edited by Pioterus; 2018-09-11 at 14:09.
    and the IEEE Milestone for breaking the Enigma Code goes to... Polish Cipher Bureau 1932-39

“We know each other,” he agreed. “They say that you follow in my steps.”
    “I go my own way. But you, you had never, until just now, looked behind you. You turned back today for the first time.”
    Geralt remained silent. Tired, he had nothing to say. “How... How will it happen?” he asked her at last, coldly and without emotion. “I will take you by the hand,” she replied, looking him straight in the eye. “I will take you by the hand and lead you across the meadow, through a cold and wet fog.” “And after? What is there beyond the fog?” “Nothing,” she replied, smiling. “After that, there is nothing.”
    ― Andrzej Sapkowski
    Świat się zmienia, słońce zachodzi, a wódka się kończy [The world is changing, sun is setting and we're running out of Vodka.]
    ― Andrzej Sapkowski

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pioterus For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-09-11)

Established Member
    Last Online
    2018-09-14 @ 05:12
    Y-DNA
    R1b-A228
    mtDNA
    H2a2a1
    Race
    Europid
    Ethnicity
    SouthWest English
    Phenotype
    Obsolete terminology
    GEDmatch
    A703943
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by ~Elizabeth~ View Post

There are 23 photos at the bottom of the article. https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nat...216218255.html

China's President Xi sounds like a dictator to me. I am glad we have religious freedom in this country. Lucky to be in America.

What are your thoughts after reading this article?
    The English master race checking in here. My opinion, obviously, is that the entire world is vastly inferior to us English people (surprise ? surprise ? ). We English are nowhere near as religious as Americans but we still manage democracy and capitalism. Both Americans and Russians live under autocratic capitalist corrupt oligarchic tyrannies but Putin is probably somewhat more autotcratic than Trump. As far as Communism it cannot work (unless you edit the entire human races genome via CRISPR or something) because it violates a law a nature and any philosophy that violates a law of nature is doomed to failure and that law is : that humans work for reward and the more reward they get the harder they work. As Arthur Schopenhauer said (paraphrase) : you cannot take self-gain out of mankind anymore than you can take the natural inclination out of cats toward mice.

CHINESE

Racial Characteristics:

Hordes of incomprehensible rat-eaters with a peculiar political philosophy and a dangerous
    penchant for narcotic drugs. No one can possibly know what dark and grotesque things pass
    through the minds of this hydraheaded racial anomaly which is, after all, more like a monstrous
    colony of flesh-crazed carpenter ants than a nation of rational men. Only a fool would deal with
    two-legged insects ..such as these. Our only hope is that the farsighted leaders of America
    Will join with those of at least nominally Caucasian Soviet Russia and that together they will
    treat us to the welcome spectacle of a thermonuclear obliteration of this yellow menace.

Good Points:

They're almost as far away as it's possible to be.

Proper Forms of Address:

Zipper head, Chink, slant, ching-chong Chinaman, yellow peril.

An Anecdote Illustrating Something of the Chinese Character:

Nine hundred million Chinese walk into a bar. They order a beer, pay up, and then just sit there,
    sipping their drinks, not saying a word. Finally, the bartender can't stand it anymore. "We don't
    see many Chinese in here," he says.

"And with this atmosphere of hedonistic individualism capitalistically exploiting the labor of
    the masses and wasting the people's agricultural resources," say the Chinese, "you won't see
    many more."
    Last edited by Pendragon1; 2018-09-11 at 14:20.
    Eurogenes K15 :

Using 1 population approximation:
    1 Southwest_English @ 4.214358

puntDNAL K12 Modern Oracle :

# Population (source) Distance
    1 English_South 2.54

http://www.celebrityendorsementads.c...hanel-coco.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast