User Tag List

Thread: I have a 4th cousin from my brick wall Great Grandfather's side!!34 days old

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    H1c12
    Ethnicity
    European-American
    United States

Talking I have a 4th cousin from my brick wall Great Grandfather's side!!

I've been corresponding/messaging through Ancestry.com with a predicted 4th Cousin from Canada today. The same town in Canada where my great grandfather was in years ago before settling down in New Jersey. My match's great grandfather was from the same town in Slovakia, and his great grandmother was from a nearby town in Slovakia.

He's gonna search the local census to see if he can find my great grandfather there in Canada.

Our ancestors may be cousins or half-brothers or something.

I'm so happy to finally have a match with someone whose ancestor was from the same town in Slovakia.

I tested with 23andMe in 2009. Had matches from Slovakia and the Czech Republic, but not the same town, no common surnames. I also tested with Family Tree DNA and Ancestry.com and this is the first breakthrough on that brick wall of mine. Yay!

Hopefully he can find out more information about my great grandfather and tell me and I can update it here.
    Last edited by ~Elizabeth~; 2018-08-20 at 01:54.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Elizabeth~ For This Useful Post:

MnM (2018-08-20)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    H1c12
    Ethnicity
    European-American
    United States

He's thankful to me. He just found out what his family's surname was originally. He thinks his great grandfather was my great great grandfather.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    H1c12
    Ethnicity
    European-American
    United States

The initial thrill of excitement is gone.

I have a copy of my great grandparents marriage license/certificate and it lists where they were born and their parents names (my great great grandparents). I'm still at a brick wall with them. At least I have a cousin match whose ancestor was from the same town as mine claimed to be from. The town/district has no record of my great grandfather or his parents. *sigh*

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    H1c12
    Ethnicity
    European-American
    United States

My cousin didn't find my great grandfather in the Canadian town census but he did find the ship manifest from New York that listed the town as his final destination. I already have a copy of it and knew about it. It lists he was going to visit his brother Joseph (Jozef). My cousin called his dad and found out that one year his grandparents, Joseph and Maria, drove the family to New Jersey to visit an uncle. My great grandfather, John, settled down in New Jersey. On my great grandfather's marriage certificate, my great great grandfather was listed as a Joseph (Jozef). I am related to my 4th cousin through his father's mother's father (named Joseph, or Joseph Jr?), not his father's father's father. My 4th cousin thinks his great grandfather's father was the same person as my great great grandfather, Joseph (Joseph Sr?). So my John and his Joseph were sons of the older Joseph. ??

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    H1c12
    Ethnicity
    European-American
    United States

My predicted 4th Cousin messaged me again and he confirms that we are both great grandchildren of brothers Jozef (Joseph) and Janos (John) (last name omitted for privacy's sake), from the same town in Slovakia. He found his great grandfather's landing forms (manifest) from Ellis Island, and got a copy of his grandparents marriage certificate. My first confirmed cousin. We are third cousins, but our great grandparents may be half-brothers (different mothers) so that would be like a fourth cousin.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    I1-L258
    mtDNA
    H39
    Phenotype
    Appalachid
    Metaethnos
    Finnic-Baltic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    Politics
    Vandalism in Rome
    Finland European Union

Quote Originally Posted by ~Elizabeth~ View Post
    My predicted 4th Cousin messaged me again and he confirms that we are both great grandchildren of brothers Jozef (Joseph) and Janos (John) (last name omitted for privacy's sake), from the same town in Slovakia. He found his great grandfather's landing forms (manifest) from Ellis Island, and got a copy of his grandparents marriage certificate. My first confirmed cousin. We are third cousins, but our great grandparents may be half-brothers (different mothers) so that would be like a fourth cousin.
    4th cousins by DNA can be 5th cousins as well.
    Blog: http://terheninenmaa.blogspot.fi/, with essence "Believe me, or I'll nuke you".

H39 - Thracia 1650 BC, Hungary 5000 BC
    I1 - Transdanubia 5000 BC

Three simple facts about Finns:
    1. Baltic Finnic languages (including Finnish) never came from the Volga basin along with ancestors of present-day Finns.
    2. Finnish I1 (around 30% of all Finns) has Germanic roots from the late Bronze Age or the early Iron Age.
    3. As to the Finnish prehistory we have no evidences about any Iron Age (or later) east-to-west migration, but many unquestionable evidences about west-to-east migrations.

Väinämöinen - R1a
    Lemminkäinen - I1
    Joukahainen - N

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemminkäinen For This Useful Post:

~Elizabeth~ (2018-08-25)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 17:07
    Q-M3
    mtDNA
    A2
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Phenotype
    Mestizo
    Religion
    Atheist
    United States Mexico

^

I agree with Lemminkainen, DNA that we inherit is a wildcard, sometimes we get more or less than the average, and this is not even taking endogamous populations into account.
    Last edited by a_garcia49; 2018-08-25 at 18:17.
    "Living or dying, it's not a big deal. What we should be concerned about is whether or not we're allowed to crawl to our graves."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to a_garcia49 For This Useful Post:

~Elizabeth~ (2018-08-25)