User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Thread: My Ancestry DNA Update. Post Yours!92 days old

  1. #41
    Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist El-Maestro's Avatar
    Last Online
    2018-10-17 @ 17:31
    Join Date
    2017-06-25
    Posts
    227
    Location
    N.Y.
    Gender
    Age
    25
    Race
    Negroid
    Phenotype
    Elongated -_-

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hispaniola View Post
    would u say that before the update it was more accurate?

    cause, my SSA side was over half benin/togo, now after the update my predominant SSA ancestry is congo/cameroon/bantu
    I wouldn't say more accurate.
    I would say less assuming.
    Before their results had a wider margin of error.
    Now it seems they're trying to give a more direct result so people can more confidently say they came from a region. If you have a diverse SSA profile you ancestry will be condensed into a reasonable region. For instance, lets say previous results have you at 20% nigerian, 5% Benin/Togo and 30% Ghana. Now more than likely you'll be 30%benin/togo 15-10%Nigerian and 15-10% Ghanaian. Same with southern Bantu/ Cameroon. The great lakes data seems to consolidate Khosian (south African HGs), East African bantu and Some Nigerian.
    Forum biodiversity is awesome!


    Quote Originally Posted by Polako View Post
    Depends which prehistoric North Africa you mean. There's a preprint here saying that Neolithic North Africans (you know, the ones who replaced the hunter-gatherers there), were fully West Eurasian. Makes sense.

    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2017/09/21/191569

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot
    Join Date
    2013-03-24
    Location
    ForumBiodiversity.com
    Age
    2010
    Posts
    All threads
       
     

  3. #42
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist Hispaniola's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 00:41
    Join Date
    2017-08-14
    Posts
    351
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    R-L51
    mtDNA
    L1c2b1
    Race
    Triracial
    Metaethnos
    Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Dominican
    Phenotype
    Quadroon
    Spain Dominican Republic Ethiopia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Maestro View Post
    I wouldn't say more accurate.
    I would say less assuming.
    Before their results had a wider margin of error.
    Now it seems they're trying to give a more direct result so people can more confidently say they came from a region. If you have a diverse SSA profile you ancestry will be condensed into a reasonable region. For instance, lets say previous results have you at 20% nigerian, 5% Benin/Togo and 30% Ghana. Now more than likely you'll be 30%benin/togo 15-10%Nigerian and 15-10% Ghanaian. Same with southern Bantu/ Cameroon. The great lakes data seems to consolidate Khosian (south African HGs), East African bantu and Some Nigerian.
    in other words, your saying my SSA ancestry is actually more cameroon/bantu/congo than benin/togo?

    cause in my previous results, more than half was benin/togo on my SSA side

  4. #43
    Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist El-Maestro's Avatar
    Last Online
    2018-10-17 @ 17:31
    Join Date
    2017-06-25
    Posts
    227
    Location
    N.Y.
    Gender
    Age
    25
    Race
    Negroid
    Phenotype
    Elongated -_-

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hispaniola View Post
    in other words, your saying my SSA ancestry is actually more cameroon/bantu/congo than benin/togo?

    cause in my previous results, more than half was benin/togo on my SSA side
    What I'm saying is that their results are more binary, They're either on the mark for some or completely wrong. If you don't know your family history or have other results to compare, you might as well flip a coin, or eeny meeny miny moe.
    Forum biodiversity is awesome!


    Quote Originally Posted by Polako View Post
    Depends which prehistoric North Africa you mean. There's a preprint here saying that Neolithic North Africans (you know, the ones who replaced the hunter-gatherers there), were fully West Eurasian. Makes sense.

    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2017/09/21/191569

  5. #44
    Regular Member
    Race Scientist
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 21:39
    Join Date
    2016-08-09
    Posts
    147
    Gender
    United States

    Default

    The update is a hot pile of garbage and I will never take ancestry serious again considering they changed the majority of my ancestry.

    This is fake.

  6. #45
    Established Member
    Junior Member Afura's Avatar
    Last Online
    2018-10-11 @ 20:07
    Join Date
    2010-03-18
    Posts
    338
    Location
    New England, CT, USA
    Gender
    Age
    44
    Y-DNA
    E1b1a1 - E-M58
    mtDNA
    L2c
    Metaethnos
    Hue-man
    Ethnicity
    "Black"
    GEDmatch
    A112928
    United States Nigeria Cameroon Mali France African Union(OAS)

    Default

    Links don't work; will revisit.
    Last edited by Afura; 2018-10-01 at 18:22. Reason: Links were shit!

  7. #46
    Established Member
    Angolan King Celph Titled's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2013-12-07
    Posts
    6,903
    Gender
    Race
    Sub-Saharan African
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Angola Mexico Angola Mexico Angola Mexico

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roseai View Post
    The update is a hot pile of garbage and I will never take ancestry serious again considering they changed the majority of my ancestry.

    This is fake.
    have you taken 23andme?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Similar Threads

  1. Update on L1029
    By muso in forum y-DNA Haplogroups
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 2017-12-22, 18:27
  2. Re-Classify Me Update
    By a_garcia49 in forum Personal Taxonomy
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 2016-08-12, 21:39
  3. Replies: 58
    Last Post: 2016-03-05, 01:19
  4. Replies: 93
    Last Post: 2014-01-01, 13:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
<