User Tag List

Thread: More Polish: a Jew, or German living in Poznan? by culture, by genetic Polish contributions etc.?36 days old

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2018-10-18 @ 00:13
    Default More Polish: a Jew, or German living in Poznan? by culture, by genetic Polish contributions etc.?

I think most people know the anwser, but I suppose it's slightly subjective, especially until we had a smoking gun study.

Even so Poles despite being probably more like Germans than Jews in their country, Poland mostly fought with Jews, against Germans in WW2.

Note that some Polish heroes like Wladyslaw Anders, or Emil August Fieldorf, or even Jan Henryk Dąbrowski had some German heritages.

I can't think of any Polish heroes like these who were Jews.

I've seen many Jews complain that Poles didn't see Jews as Poles, but the opposite seems to be much more true.

Considering most Jews in Poland spoke Yiddish a German dominant language with only minor Polish ,or Jewish input.

I simply see no real reason why Polish Jews should've been called Poles.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    SD
    Religion
    Christianity

The Polish Jews in Sweden are infamous leftists like Jerzy Sarnecki, Marciej Zaremba and some other people in the media.

But most Polish immigrants are normal Poles (for instance many hardworking Polish men and Polish women married to Swedish men).

It's sometimes hard to tell the difference in names between Poles and (((Polish Jews))), but I know of American Jews from Poland whose names end with -witz.
    The Future was better before

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2018-10-18 @ 00:13

Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    The Polish Jews in Sweden are infamous leftists like Jerzy Sarnecki, Marciej Zaremba and some other people in the media.

But most Polish immigrants are normal Poles (for instance many hardworking Polish men and Polish women married to Swedish men).

It's sometimes hard to tell the difference in names between Poles and (((Polish Jews))), but I know of American Jews from Poland whose names end with -witz.
    Witz is a German conversion of a Polish ending. Just kind of proves a lot of Polish Jews wanted to be German. How did that work-out for them?

I'd say a German from Poznan was more like a Pole from Poznan, than like a Jew from Poznan.

A.) From my understanding probably Germans from Poznan probably have twice the Polish genetic contribution heritage, as a Jew would.

B.) Yiddish, and German are about as far removed from Polish, that just leaves small numbers of Polish speaking Germans, or Polish speaking Jews.

C.) Christian culture was more similar, both Germans, and Poles tend to be from pro-Christian backgrounds, with minor differences being Protestant vs Catholicism, Jews don't.

So, I'd say both genetically, even culturally Poland's Jews were more distant from Poles than Poland's Germans living all in say the same city.

Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist Wojewoda's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 19:35
    I1 Z63+ S2078+ L1237-
    mtDNA
    U3a1a
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Poland

Not an answer to your question, but somewhat related: a scene from the Polish movie "Ziemia obiecana" ("Promised land"; based on the 1899 novel by Nobel laureate Władysław Reymont; set in XIX century quickly industrialising city of Łódź) with a Jew (to the right) explaining to the Pole (in the middle) and the German (to the left) the reasons for his preference for Catholicism over Protestantim (unfortunately no subtitles):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJjJNYW7yPk

By the way here a director of this movie Andrzej Wajda talking to Agnieszka Holland (unfortunately no subtitles) complaining that the movie was not shown in the US as it was regarded as anti-semitic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mC90oLgWpQ
    Last edited by Wojewoda; 2018-10-15 at 21:32.

Last Online
    Today @ 03:59

I have no idea why you decided to make this thread seen as how there are like zero jews left in Poland, but yeah jews generally don't tend to identify with their (former) host nations.

Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist Bobby Martnen's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:29
    I1a2a
    Race
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Anglo-American
    Phenotype
    Atlanto-Gorid
    Politics
    Anti-feminist
    Religion
    Christianity
    GEDmatch
    None of your business
    United States Ireland clover Italy Sicily Germany imperial flag Slovakia Kingdom of Yugoslavia

Neither is a Pole.