Last Online
    @
    H1c12
    Politics
    Trump 2020
    United States

Lightbulb Robots Set to Replace Chefs, Waiters at 5,000 Restaurants

Robots Are Serving Spicy Soup at Haidilao's Hotspot Restaurants

(Bloomberg) -- In Haidilao International Holding Ltd.’s hotpot restaurants, robots are replacing chefs and waiters.

Asia’s biggest listed restaurant chain by market value is partnering with Japan’s Panasonic Corp. to open what the two companies say is the world’s first eatery with a fully automated kitchen Oct. 28 in Beijing. At the new Haidilao restaurant, robots will take orders, prepare and deliver raw meat and fresh vegetables to customers to plop into soups prepared at their tables.

The automation will lower labor costs and boost efficiency, underpinning Haidilao’s plan to expand to as many as 5,000 restaurants worldwide, the companies said. Panasonic also supplies batteries to power Tesla Inc.’s electric cars.

“It could be difficult to expand to that size in terms of personnel, so Haidilao is shifting earlier to an operation that doesn’t rely so much on manual labor,” said Jun Yamashita, managing director of Ying Hai Holding Pte., the Singapore-based joint venture Haidilao and Panasonic have set up. “That’s where Panasonic’s technology comes in.”

The joint venture was started with an investment of $20 million, according to the companies. Haidilao has plans to expand the automated restaurants gradually in China and later overseas.

Haidilao became Asia’s first eatery chain to surpass $10 billion in market value when it held its initial public offering in Hong Kong last month. The company has more than 360 locations around the world including Japan, the U.S. and Taiwan.

The chain’s billionaire chairman Zhang Yong said that when he first started Haidilao 24 years ago, the restaurant business seemed “centuries” out of date. With technology, he’s set out to run more efficient restaurants.

Yong pointed to advice he received from Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. founder Jack Ma in how to think about the business: “Haidilao is not just a restaurant. We’re also a company that also does manufacturing and logistics,” Zhang said at a briefing Tokyo Thursday. “Before the food is brought to the table, it’s all a manufacturing process. After that, the service aspect takes over.”
    https://www.bloombergquint.com/marke...ion#gs.=uyRuKQ

When I saw this news story I thought it would make an interesting thread.

Would you like to eat at a restaurant where everything is done/made by robots?

Do you think this will catch on in some American restaurants, eventually?

I guess some people would like to invest in this.

This would put a lot of chefs and waiters out of work.

I think most people will still prefer food made by real people.

Where I live, Florida, whenever there is a blackout/power outage some people like to grill outdoors or use natural gas if they have it, so I don't think robotic restaurants will catch on here unless the restaurants have lots of generators.

Any other thoughts or questions welcome.
    Last edited by ~Elizabeth~; 2018-10-25 at 13:10.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Elizabeth~ For This Useful Post:

Silesian (2018-10-25)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Male relatives J1c3
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Metaethnos
    Métis-Souriquois
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Politics
    Shawinigan Handshake
    Religion
    Atheist
    Canada Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Basque Faroe Islands Viking

If it’s anything like McDonalds, I would hate that. You get your food faster from humans there, I find.

Plus, I like human interaction at restaurants. Sometimes if I don’t know what to order I will ask the waiter what they like.

Not to mention, bacteria like listeriosis can gather in machines and not be noticed for a long time. There was an outbreak of it across Canada a few years ago that killed a bunch of people and it was traced back to a dull blade on a machine that cut meat in a meat processing plant. Human chefs use knives which are easier to clean than blades on a machine, they can just put them in the dishwasher.

I think it would be good for chain restaurants and the people who would appreciate it would be the kind of people who tend to know what they like and don’t really like trying new things. But, there would still be a market for restaurants where people get to try new things, and would hire human chefs who can be creative.
    Last edited by DragonRouge; 2018-10-25 at 16:08.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Acadian proverb

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 00:14
    Americanoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Metaethnos
    Roman
    Ethnicity
    American
    Phenotype
    Atlanto Med + Dinarid
    Politics
    Independent
    Religion
    Catholic
    United States Holy Roman Empire South Africa 1928-1994 Portugal Order of Christ Portugal

Soon robots will replace every low level basic job out there. Which will force people who do these kind of jobs to either get smarter and move on to better things or to just die out. Good riddance! This can't come soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Essien View Post
    • The Grimaldi African occupied Europe in ancient times.
    • The original Celtic priesthood were Blacks.
    • Black people constructed Stonehenge.
    • The Scots are themselves of Black origin.
    • The Irish are of black origin.
    • The Knights of King Arthur's round table were Blacks.
    • There was an African, Gormund who ruled Ireland at the time of the Anglo-Saxons.
    • The first King to unite Norway was Black. He was known as Halfdan the Black.
    http://i.imgur.com/uSkUyji.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MnM For This Useful Post:

Silesian (2018-10-25)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 17:13
    Q-M3
    mtDNA
    A2
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Phenotype
    Mestizo
    Religion
    Atheist
    United States Mexico

I can see it happening with fast food and chain restaurants, but I don't see Mom & Pop spots resorting to robots.

I'm sure it would be convenient for some consumers, though it's also a loss of jobs and personally I like to interact with restaurant staff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MnM View Post
    Soon robots will replace every low level basic job out there. Which will force people who do these kind of jobs to either get smarter and move on to better things or to just die out. Good riddance! This can't come soon enough.
    I'm curious to see how this crisis is solved, because there are only so many white collar job openings. Just cause someone was born into a lower social class, doesn't mean they should be doomed from finding a job in the robot era.
    "Living or dying, it's not a big deal. What we should be concerned about is whether or not we're allowed to crawl to our graves."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to a_garcia49 For This Useful Post:

DragonRouge (2018-10-25)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 00:14
    Americanoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Metaethnos
    Roman
    Ethnicity
    American
    Phenotype
    Atlanto Med + Dinarid
    Politics
    Independent
    Religion
    Catholic
    United States Holy Roman Empire South Africa 1928-1994 Portugal Order of Christ Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by a_garcia49 View Post
    I can see it happening with fast food and chain restaurants, but I don't see Mom & Pop spots resorting to robots.

I'm sure it would be convenient for some consumers, though it's also a loss of jobs and personally I like to interact with restaurant staff.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm curious to see how this crisis is solved, because there are only so many white collar job openings. Just cause someone was born into a lower social class, doesn't mean they should be doomed from finding a job in the robot era.
    They'll have jobs alright. The jobs they'll have is changing the oil and batteries on these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Essien View Post
    • The Grimaldi African occupied Europe in ancient times.
    • The original Celtic priesthood were Blacks.
    • Black people constructed Stonehenge.
    • The Scots are themselves of Black origin.
    • The Irish are of black origin.
    • The Knights of King Arthur's round table were Blacks.
    • There was an African, Gormund who ruled Ireland at the time of the Anglo-Saxons.
    • The first King to unite Norway was Black. He was known as Halfdan the Black.
    http://i.imgur.com/uSkUyji.jpg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MnM For This Useful Post:

Silesian (2018-10-25)