Phenotype
    Mesoamerican
    Politics
    End corruption
    Religion
    The Maize Spirit
    United States Guatemala United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by a_garcia49 View Post
    I'm curious how the sedentary agriculture tribes/kingdoms contrasted to the hunter-gatherers.

While I doubt they'd be obese like today's population, it'd probably lean more toward "farmer fit" as opposed to "hunter athlete" physiques.
    When I was in Guatemala, among my Indigenous people, obese people were rare......it seemed like almost everyone had low body fat. A lot of the men, who were mainly farmers and laborers, had pretty big muscular forearms.
    Last edited by Queue; 2019-01-23 at 20:36.

"Better to die standing up fighting, than to be on your knees before the enemies of peace, life and Mother Earth..."
    -Mario Itzep

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Queue For This Useful Post:

Sun Shield Pakal (2019-01-24)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 21:51
    Q-M3
    mtDNA
    A2
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Phenotype
    Mestizo
    Religion
    Atheist
    United States Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Queue View Post
    When I was in Guatemala, among my Indigenous people, obese people were rare......it seemed like almost everyone had low body fat. A lot of the men, who were mainly farmers and laborers, had pretty big muscular forearms.
    Makes sense, obviously many farmers/laborers have some degree of fitness.
    "Living or dying, it's not a big deal. What we should be concerned about is whether or not we're allowed to crawl to our graves."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to a_garcia49 For This Useful Post:

Sun Shield Pakal (2019-01-24)

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-03-20 @ 09:45
    Biracial
    Metaethnos
    New Worlder
    Ethnicity
    Messican/PR/USA
    Phenotype
    Amerind+Mediterranean
    Politics
    Amerindian Nationalism
    Religion
    Spiritualism
    Mexico Mexico Mexico Puerto Rico Italy SPQR Italy Rome

Quote Originally Posted by a_garcia49 View Post
    I'm curious how the sedentary agriculture tribes/kingdoms contrasted to the hunter-gatherers.

While I doubt they'd be obese like today's population, it'd probably lean more toward "farmer fit" as opposed to "hunter athlete" physiques.
    You've got my attention and insight!

The earliest farmers were roughly on par with hunter-gatherers in the early-most phase in this lifestyle transition from hunter-gatherer to agricultural life. They were definitely more athletic than their later counterparts, especially modern farmers when the earliest forms of agriculture were far more labor intensive due to the lack of more advanced practices and tools such as draft animals and machinery that would eventually follow.

These transitioning populations became more and more physically watered-down to where it got ingrained at a genetic level (to an extent, and varying extents depending on which populace in question). There have been studies to confirm subjects of hunter-gatherer societies and the earliest farmers far surpassed modern man physically in every category, save for height and longevity (to an extent) as far as I can recall at this very moment. Some even consider them and have the evidence to suggest they were on par with Olympic athletes.

Sedentary populations could be quite athletic, falling around the same league with hunter-gatherer societies physically if they are war-like, placing great value on and practicing warfare on a regular basis with a significant portion of their populace belonging to the warrior/military class, with the Aztecs being great examples (although they were originally an obscure, nomadic tribe until relatively recently when they embraced Toltec influence, being a "true civilization" for only a few centuries).

These down below are less relevant to the subject you introduced, but I love going extra and into great detail beyond what is asked for my own pleasure at times:

At face value, the Amerind agriculturalists were more likely to be more physically fit than their Old World counterpart given their lack of draft animals. However, to make up for it, they focused more on domesticating plant life than animal life for their greater convenience, hence why they are most fundamentally responsible for the majority of the modern world's food access and availability.
    US govt official: “You have observed the white man for 90 years. You’ve seen his wars and his technological advances. You’ve seen his progess, and the damage he’s done.”

Two Eagles: “When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women do all the work, medicine man free, Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing, all night having sex.... Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2