User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: British Film Institute says it will no longer fund films which star villains with facial scarring25 days old

  1. #1
    Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Junior Member Janos's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2010-05-29
    Posts
    10,781
    Location
    Svithjod
    Gender
    Politics
    SD
    Religion
    Christianity

    Default British Film Institute says it will no longer fund films which star villains with facial scarring

    Only in Britain

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...star-villains/

    British Film Institute says it will no longer fund films which star villains with facial scarring

    Films that have facially-scarred villains will no longer receive funding from the British Film Institute, the organisation has announced, as part of a campaign to remove the stigma around disfigurement.

    From Darth Vader to Scar in The Lion King, film-makers have long made a link between physical disfigurement and evil.

    The BFI is backing the #IAmNotYourVillain campaign launched by Changing Faces, one of the charities the Telegraph is supporting as part of this year’s Christmas appeal.

    As the first organisation to support the project, the BFI is leading the effort to remove the stigma from facial disfigurement by casting actors who do not fit the traditional Hollywood aesthetic.
    Question: will more countries' film industry follow this?

    Is this how movies will look like in the future?


    How can we normal people stop this insanity? I assume most Brits think this is super ridiculous.
    The Future was better before

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot
    Join Date
    2013-03-24
    Location
    ForumBiodiversity.com
    Posts
    All threads
       
     

  3. #2
    Regular Member
    Junior Member Grendel's Avatar
    Last Online
    2019-01-16 @ 05:34
    Join Date
    2018-12-11
    Posts
    9
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Age
    19
    Ethnicity
    North Atlantic
    Politics
    Paleoconservative
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Canada England Mexico Northern Ireland Spain

    Default

    Scars make a character look badass, why remove it? lol

  4. #3
    Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ApostateAbe's Avatar
    Last Online
    2019-01-13 @ 16:45
    Join Date
    2015-03-05
    Posts
    493
    Location
    United States
    Gender
    Age
    35
    Y-DNA
    T
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Race
    Europoid
    Metaethnos
    What's Meta-Ethnos?
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Phenotype
    many of these, I think
    Politics
    Libertarianish
    Religion
    no religion
    United States

    Default

    It may be human nature to fear men with facial scars, as such scars were attained in battle, and they won. Perhaps the British Film Institute can progress down the path of obeying every Twit campaign and thence withdraw support from those movie scripts with villains who are tall, muscular, or heterosexual. I would love to see the 98-pound soyboys cast as villains.

  5. #4
    Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Most Hated Member DragonRouge's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2010-02-08
    Posts
    7,567
    Location
    America's Hat
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    Male relatives J1c3
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Metaethnos
    Métis-Souriquois
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Politics
    Shawinigan Handshake
    Religion
    Atheist
    Canada Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Basque Faroe Islands Viking

    Default

    So no more dreamboat Jason Momoa as a villain in British movies? Sad.



    It may be ridiculous but the outrage against this change is equally ridiculous.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

  6. #5
    Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2009-10-22
    Posts
    14,418
    Location
    Sweden
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Scars make a character look badass, why remove it? lol
    I now feel discriminated. I happen to have a big fat scar on my face. Not that sort of badass scar like Subzero in Mortal Kombat, but it does give me some badass points nonetheless.

    Self-inflicted when I was super drunk in my teens, but still, they always tryna keep the man down, them bastards!

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonRouge View Post
    So no more dreamboat Jason Momoa as a villain in British movies? Sad.



    It may be ridiculous but the outrage against this change is equally ridiculous.
    But is Jason Momoa really sexy because of his eyebrow scar, or would he be just as sexy without it?
    Last edited by EliasAlucard; 2019-01-06 at 03:33.
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

    “A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

    “Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

    “The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

    “Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

    Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

  7. #6
    Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Most Hated Member DragonRouge's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2010-02-08
    Posts
    7,567
    Location
    America's Hat
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    Male relatives J1c3
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Metaethnos
    Métis-Souriquois
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Politics
    Shawinigan Handshake
    Religion
    Atheist
    Canada Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Basque Faroe Islands Viking

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    But is Jason Momoa really sexy because of his eyebrow scar, or would he be just as sexy without it?
    He was hot before he got the scar.



    Anyway, the whole irony is, that yes, it is true that people with facial scars do get discriminated against, not just in acting but in regular jobs, however, they are writing off people with scars in a bunch of roles.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

  8. #7
    Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2009-10-22
    Posts
    14,418
    Location
    Sweden
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonRouge View Post
    He was hot before he got the scar.

    I think he looks quite Paki there to be honest He must have been plucking his eyebrows in that picture btw.

    But would you say he's sexier now with his scar, or was he better looking without it? His eyebrows are a bit villainous; villains are often depicted with similar eyebrows in pop culture, especially vampires.

    Morbius the living vampire (Spiderman villain):



    Dracula in Castlevania:




    Sure it's not exactly the same eyebrow shape, but close enough. I'd bet that if he weren't as popular with the ladies but looked exactly the same, he'd get lots of villain roles.

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonRouge View Post
    Anyway, the whole irony is, that yes, it is true that people with facial scars do get discriminated against, not just in acting but in regular jobs, however, they are writing off people with scars in a bunch of roles.
    So we scarfaces aren't human then?
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

    “A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

    “Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

    “The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

    “Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

    Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

  9. #8
    Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Most Hated Member DragonRouge's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Join Date
    2010-02-08
    Posts
    7,567
    Location
    America's Hat
    Gender
    Y-DNA
    Male relatives J1c3
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Metaethnos
    Métis-Souriquois
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Politics
    Shawinigan Handshake
    Religion
    Atheist
    Canada Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Basque Faroe Islands Viking

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    But would you say he's sexier now with his scar, or was he better looking without it?
    About the same. The scar is barely noticeable IMO. He is better looking now, but I think it's more to do with age. He had kind of a baby face when he was young, and is better looking now that he's a little older IMO.

    I find a lot of guys are like that. People drooled over Leonardo DiCaprio when he was younger but I think he looks better now.

    Being that Momoa was an actor and a model, it must have sucked for him when he got the scar, because I can imagine he was afraid of losing work or whatever. He was actually assaulted and had to get 140 stitches. The guy who did it actually got 5 years in jail for the assault. But now he says he likes the scar because it makes him look like less of a "pretty boy".

    I'd bet that if he weren't as popular with the ladies but looked exactly the same, he'd get lots of villain roles.
    Is he that popular with the ladies? I dunno. A lot of women don't find him particularly attractive. I think he's hot, but none of my friends do. I agree, though, he has a look that would make him good villain. Not so much the scar, but his eyes and eyebrows. And also because he's huge, 195 cm and over 100 kg.

    So we scarfaces aren't human then?
    I never said that lol. But it is true that there is some discrimination:

    Facial scars, birthmarks affect job hunt

    Houston — People with facial disfigurements such as scars or birthmarks are likely to be rated lower in job interviews than those who have none, new research suggests.

    An investigation conducted by researchers at Rice University and the University of Houston is one of the first to analyze the extent to which facially disfigured people are negatively affected in job interviews. Among other things, the findings show that interviewers recall less information about these candidates than about other applicants.

    The research comprises two studies. In the first study, 171 participants viewed a computer-mediated interview of applicants who either were or were not facially stigmatized. Using eye-tracking technology, the authors recorded participants’ time spent looking at the stigma, their ratings of the applicant and memory recall about the applicant. Results show that the more time participants spent concentrating their gaze on the disfigurement, the fewer interview facts they recalled, which in turn led to lower applicant ratings.

    In the second study, 38 full-time managers enrolled in post-graduate business courses conducted face-to-face interviews with either a facially stigmatized or non-stigmatized applicant, then rated the applicant. Results revealed that managers rated facially stigmatized applicants lower than non-stigmatized ones, and recalled less information about the interview, according to the article published in the online Journal of Applied Psychology.

    Medical News Today quotes Rice professor of psychology and co-author Mikki Hebl, Ph.D., as saying, “The bottom line is that how your face looks can significantly influence the success of an interview. There have been many studies showing that specific groups of people are discriminated against in the workplace, but this study takes it a step further, showing why it happens. The allocation of attention away from memory for the interview content explains this.”

    Dr. Hebl and colleagues say they hope the research raises awareness about this form of workplace discrimination.
    http://www.dermatologytimes.com/derm...ffect-job-hunt

    As someone who has a job position where I do interview and hire people, I don't get it. Shit happens, people get scars, and you shouldn't hold that against them. I care about their resume, experience, and how they answer questions.

    But it happens. I grew up with a girl who's family was in a car accident as a kid, and her face was very scarred. She changed after that and became a bully, and as a teenager got into drugs and slept around, having a kid at 15. Really messed with her self-esteem, I think.
    Last edited by DragonRouge; 2019-01-06 at 20:31.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2012-08-24, 00:43
  2. Immortality Institute
    By EliasAlucard in forum Genetic DNA Companies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2011-09-14, 00:32
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2011-04-12, 00:59
  4. ok so she's an adult film star...
    By omm 'e m.e.r.d.a. in forum Classification Requests
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2010-09-11, 02:35
  5. Polish Film Star
    By Sevastopol in forum Classification Requests
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2009-11-27, 18:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
<