Y-DNA
    R-M512
    mtDNA
    W3a1
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Sweden Norway Sweden Tre Kronor

Quote Originally Posted by stala View Post
    You do know closeness is irrelevant in this case. They can't see the center of the milky way. From my second floor bedroom window I can't see my front door but I can see the house across the street. I thought it was common knowledge that only see parts of the milky way because of the position we are in the galaxy. Scientist just see what's observable not what they want to see.
    They say it is space dust in the way of the galactic center? Can't they just observe the radio waves like the other one?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    L3f1b
    Metaethnos
    Senegambia
    Ethnicity
    Kriolu
    Phenotype
    South Saharid Kriola
    Cape Verde African Union(OAS) Guinea-Bissau Senegal

Quote Originally Posted by Ozrage View Post
    They say it is space dust in the way of the galactic center? Can't they just observe the radio waves like the other one?
    Not sure why but I've known for years that they "can't see" the whole milky way because of position. Although I have not read the details about this black whole and its galaxy- it's probably "easy to see" because of it's position...easier to point telescopes at. While they would need to leave the milky way and travel some ridiculous number of light years to get a view in its entirety with the black whole.
    I don't really think dust is relevant for the kind "pics" they took?
    Last edited by stala; 2019-04-13 at 18:29.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    L3f1b
    Metaethnos
    Senegambia
    Ethnicity
    Kriolu
    Phenotype
    South Saharid Kriola

And if you think about it- in terms of the scale of the universe, when trying to depict massive objects in their entirety, distance may actually be your friend.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    R-M512
    mtDNA
    W3a1
    Ethnicity
    Swedish

Not sure why but I've known for years that they "can't see" the whole milky way because of position. Although I have not read the details about this black whole and its galaxy- it's probably "easy to see" because of it's position...easier to point telescopes at. While they would need to leave the milky way and travel some ridiculous number of light years to get a view in its entirety with the black whole.
    I see what you mean. Accordingly to the model we're in a position in one of the arms of the milky way and can't see the whole galaxy. From the CGI visuals I've seen it looks like a bright cloud when looking to the center.
    I don't really think dust is relevant for the kind "pics" they took.
    Radio waves should go through space dust to observe the galactic center, then again it's like 50 thousand light years away.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    L3f1b
    Metaethnos
    Senegambia
    Ethnicity
    Kriolu
    Phenotype
    South Saharid Kriola

I see what you mean. Accordingly to the model we're in a position in one of the arms of the milky way and can't see the whole galaxy. From the CGI visuals I've seen it looks like a bright cloud when looking to the center.

Radio waves should go through space dust to observe the galactic center, then again it's like 50 thousand light years away.
    If you think about it, they had to find a black hole that is in the correct position for the telescopes. I'm assuming most of the telescopes are stationary. So to form one big telescope that points in exactly "one direction" may have been more dependent of object's position( that happened to be the one). There are many black holes, but this may have been the perfect one for the telescopes. I'm just taking guesses btw.
    Last edited by stala; 2019-04-13 at 18:54.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    R-M512
    mtDNA
    W3a1
    Ethnicity
    Swedish

If you think about it, they had to find a black hole that is in the correct position for the telescopes. I'm assuming most of the telescopes are stationary. So to form one big telescope that points in exactly "one direction" may have been more dependent of object's position( that happened to be the one). There are many black holes, but this may have been the perfect one for the telescopes. I'm just taking guesses btw.
    I have really no clue at all how they did it. So they can pretty much come up with anything. That's why space is the magicans dream theatre. A dark infinitly deep hat he can pull out whatever he wants. But I think that's how they say they did it. Multiple dishes collected data.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Race
    Triracial
    Ethnicity
    Hispanic
    Phenotype
    Platanoid Mongrel
    Spain Amazigh Dominican Republic Puerto Rico African Union(OAS) Jatibonicu Taino

Quote Originally Posted by The American View Post
    They copied the "black hole" from Mass Effect 2. Lol.

The nearest "black hole" is the one that supposedly exists in the center of the Milky Way, a so-called "supermassive blackhole." Supposedly it's big, it's massive, it gobbles up stars for dinner-- so why isn't their a pic of it? Or some kind of indication that the center of the Milky Way is a giant whirlpool into Dimension X?

It's also an easier target rather than a random-ass "black hole" supposedly 53 million light-years away from Earth? NASA can take a pixelated picture of some "black hole" in another "galaxy" but it can't take a picture of the "supermassive blackhole" in the center of the Milky Way.

Hahaha.
    The M87 black hole is actually bigger than our Sagitarius A* black hole. Also, it's a lot clearer to see. Sagitarius A* is smaller in size and is surrounded by a lot of gas and matter that makes it harder to see from Earth's perspective. The team is working on getting a photo of Sagitarius A* it's the time scale for the project's completion is currently unknown.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    L3f1b
    Metaethnos
    Senegambia
    Ethnicity
    Kriolu
    Phenotype
    South Saharid Kriola

Quote Originally Posted by saru21 View Post
    The M87 black hole is actually bigger than our Sagitarius A* black hole. Also, it's a lot clearer to see. Sagitarius A* is smaller in size and is surrounded by a lot of gas and matter that makes it harder to see from Earth's perspective. The team is working on getting a photo of Sagitarius A* it's the time scale for the project's completion is currently unknown.

In relation to our black hole -why would size be the reason they aren't able to produce a pic of Sag. M87 is like 55 million LIGHT years away. Size would probably matter in comparison to similar black holes in the universe. If Sag was as big M87 we def wouldn't be able to see it with today's technology.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3