Ethnicity
    White American
    Politics
    Libertarianish
    Religion
    no religion
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by CAONABO View Post
    Epidemiological related studies are not something I am familiar with, but for anyone here who is, how do these findings fit within the 'Hispanic Paradox" that I've always come across?
    The Hispanic paradox is that Latinos have health outcomes better than expected from their low incomes. To find out whether the rate of Type 2 diabetes follows in that pattern, I suggest making a small scatter plot with the data from Table 1 on the vertical axis, the average income of each race on the horizontal axis, and see if Latinos are above or below the best-fit line. The best-fit line will have a negative slope. If Latinos are on the line or above the line, then the hypothesis loses points. If Latinos are below the line, then the hypothesis gains points.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ApostateAbe For This Useful Post:

CAONABO (2019-07-06)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Last Online
    2019-07-17 @ 15:39
    X2b
    United States Italy Germany Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Yyy View Post
    Yeah except what is stereotypically healthy is not necessarily actually healthy. Lima beans contain a high concentration of cyanogenic glycosides, which are a precursor of cyanide, so that about 400 grams of cooked lima beans (wet weight) yields a potentially lethal dose of hydrogen cyanide (http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/sho...=1#post1379260). Also Tony Mitra found that Canadian lentils and chickpeas contain an extremely high concentration of glyphosate, because they are sprayed with glyphosate before harvesting (https://www.tonu.org/2017/06/15/glyp...nd-wheat-bran/). In 1990, Bruce Ames estimated that Americans consume about 1.5 grams of plant-produced natural pesticides per person per day, and he said that out of 52 natural pesticides which had been tested in high-dose animal cancer tests at the time, 27 were considered carcinogenic (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...01044-0440.pdf). Vegetables taste bad because they're full of antinutrients.
    I do get what you are saying - but the point that I was trying to make is that eating cheap canned meat, canned vegetables, beans, and rice is healthier and more calorie conscious (and more weight conscious) than eating fast food or overprocessed junk food on a daily basis.

Don't get me wrong - canned food is obviously processed, and it is usually more salted than the fresh versions. I don't want it to come across like I am arguing that eating that kind of food is the peak of nutrition. It isn't. But I do believe that most people in America DO have access to cheap canned food at least part of the time, and while it isn't the epitome of health, it is a healthier alternative to fast food and junk snacks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2