User Tag List

Thread: Trump’s modest proposal for sanctuary cities, and the instinct for intolerance7 days old

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ApostateAbe's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:31
    Y-DNA
    T
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Race
    Europoid
    Metaethnos
    What's Meta-Ethnos?
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Phenotype
    many of these, I think
    Politics
    Libertarianish
    Religion
    no religion
    United States

Default Trump’s modest proposal for sanctuary cities, and the instinct for intolerance

President Trump taunted the officers of sanctuary cities recently by proposing that illegal aliens be bused to the sanctuary cities, where immigration law enforcement is legally handicapped. And a predictable but interesting thing happened: those city officers did not like the idea, without a single exception, to my knowledge. The mayor of Oakland went on NPR and launched into a speech that began as though she was giving a full set of reasons why she should accept Trump's proposal, but then she called it an "outrageous abuse of power."

SCHAAF: Listen. Oakland is a city that prides itself on diversity and inclusion. We are proud of the immigrant community that we have right now. And it's our job to not build walls but build bridges and welcome all people and celebrate the richness that diverse cultures bring to our city. We also know that immigrants actually make a safer city, despite the lies and the divisive rhetoric that this president continues to drive to separate the American people. We know that data proves that undocumented or documented immigrants commit far fewer crimes. So not only is our community richer and more loving. But it also is safer because we are a sanctuary city and a diverse city.

SIMON: But let me hone this down to the point that's at issue now. If sometime, let's say, in the middle of next week, a number of buses arrive in Oakland with 5,000 migrants, do you say, welcome to Oakland?

SCHAAF: I always say, welcome to Oakland. But this is much less about immigration or sanctuary. This is about an outrageous abuse of power. The idea that you could use human beings, families as instruments of political payback to use public resources to exact retribution on your political enemies. This is not America. It is not democratic. And this is what should outrage all Americans, regardless of their stance on immigration or sanctuary cities.

SIMON: I've gotten two very complete answers from you to essentially the question, would you welcome more migrants? I haven't heard a yes.

SCHAAF: I said yes. Oakland welcomes all people.

SIMON: So specifically in this case, if more migrants show up, that's fine with you?

SCHAAF: My job as a mayor is to welcome people. I don't build walls. It's our job to welcome everyone into our city, ensure their safety, ensure that their families can thrive. And that is my job no matter where those people came from or how they got there.
    She gave a "yes," and I would like to see that affirmation put to the test, because her hash of answers was otherwise confusing. Why is it an abuse of power if Trump wants to make her city safer? Seems like a win-win. Oakland of all cities certainly needs that extra safety advantage. What's more is that it isn't just liberal myth: after illegal immigrants cross the border, they really do commit less crime than the nation at large. (Their children and grandchildren regress to the moderately-more-criminal Latino mean, but that is both racist and true, so it is a double-whammy and we shouldn't talk about that.)

I suspect that foreigners settling in the territory of one's own tribe provokes a defensive reaction as a matter of instinct. A difference between American conservatives and liberals seems to be that liberals don't so much think of the whole nation as their own tribe. They think American land was wrongfully stolen from Native Americans. They wouldn't give away their own cities to Native tribes, but they would be happy to see it happen to rural Oklahoma, Arizona, Texas, or anywhere they don't live. Their own cities and their own neighborhoods are their homologous tribes.

What if open acceptance for diversity happened in the paleolithic? Members of foreign tribes, who are unhappy with the wealth or politics of their own native tribes, set up camp on your territory, hunt your animals, piss in your water, and flirt with your women; and every unhappy foreigner who hears about your tribe would take advantage of it. Acceptance for diversity would not last long as a genotype.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot