User Tag List

Thread: A massive asteroid with its own moon trailing behind will pass by Earth this weekend88 days old

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist ~Elizabeth~'s Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    H1c12
    Politics
    Trump 2020
    United States

Default A massive asteroid with its own moon trailing behind will pass by Earth this weekend

An asteroid nearly a mile wide with a moon of its own is expected to pass by Earth this weekend, traveling at 48,000 mph. The space rock, known as asteroid 1999 KW4, was discovered 20 years ago and is so large that it is orbited by a moon.

On Saturday evening, 1999 KW4 will make its closest approach to Earth. It will be visible until May 27. Because it carries a large moon along with it, the asteroid is technically designated as a binary system.

A binary system is defined as two celestial objects close enough to orbit each other, according to NASA.

The Las Cumbres Observatory describes 1999 KW4 as "slightly squashed at the poles and with a mountain ridge around the equator, which runs all the way around the asteroid. This ridge gives the primary an appearance similar to a walnut or a spinning top."

The asteroid was first discovered by the Lincoln Laboratory's Near Earth Asteroid Research survey (LINEAR) in Socorro, New Mexico, according to NASA. The asteroid won't pass this close to earth again until 2036.

The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory's Minor Planet Center has classified 1999 KW4 as a "potentially hazardous asteroid" because it will travel relatively close to Earth. Even so, the asteroid will only pass as close as 3.2 million miles from Earth — roughly 13 times the distance between the Earth and the moon.

NASA rendering of KW4 1999 asteroid with moon following

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/asteroi...ng-earth-nasa/

I wonder if this asteroid and its moon can be seen with the naked eye or with a telescope only. I don't have a telescope. I've been told by multiple people to not go outside after dark because the neighborhood isn't safe at night, so I won't be looking for the asteroid. I doubt it can be seen during the day. I just wanted to give a heads up to those with telescopes who may want to see it.

Anyone here have a telescope?

Are you going to watch for the asteroid?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Elizabeth~ For This Useful Post:

Ozrage (2019-05-23)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Molecular Biologist DracoSentien's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 18:19
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    Queen Victoria's H
    Race
    Caucasian
    Metaethnos
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    methodist
    United States United Kingdom Scotland Canada Weed Flag New Zealand Australia

Quote Originally Posted by ~Elizabeth~ View Post

NASA rendering of KW4 1999 asteroid with moon following

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/asteroi...ng-earth-nasa/

I wonder if this asteroid and its moon can be seen with the naked eye or with a telescope only. I don't have a telescope. I've been told by multiple people to not go outside after dark because the neighborhood isn't safe at night, so I won't be looking for the asteroid. I doubt it can be seen during the day. I just wanted to give a heads up to those with telescopes who may want to see it.

Anyone here have a telescope?

Are you going to watch for the asteroid?
    The dinosaurs were wiped out by an asteroid. You ever heard the term don't put all your eggs in one basket ? That is why people like Elon Musk are so obsessed with space exploration and rocket science.Also, people like Michio Kaku with string theory and wormholes (pop through to other dimensions) Obviously, humans need to colonize other planets and possibly other solar systems --meanwhile the idiot masses are more concerned with pop culture and celebrities.

It's up to the Geeks and Nerds like me -- we are the future of humanity-- not your bloated meathead lumberjacks you so pine for.

Last edited by DracoSentien; 2019-05-23 at 05:10.

Established Member
    Last Online
    2019-07-27 @ 13:00
    Race
    Europid
    Metaethnos
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    American
    Phenotype
    Nordo-Cromagnid
    Politics