Europoid
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Politics
    Libertarianish
    Religion
    no religion
    United States

Default Multiracial adolescents show no test score gap with whites?

A study of Brookings in 2017 claimed that 12th-grade multiracial students score just as high as whites on the NAEP, and this was intended to be evidence against the zombified hereditarian theory. This would be strong evidence, because in the past hereditarians have often argued that the intermediate scores of multiracial students are evidence that genetics explains the racial IQ gaps, whereas the "one drop" rule expects multiracial students to score just as low as blacks. I tried hunting down the original data of the NAEP or the fuller paper of Brookings. I could not find either, but I found an honest footnote that seems to reveal the breadth of the problem.

1. The NAEP collects and reports data on race using two distinct methods, one of which is based on school data (mostly from parents) and one based on student responses on the exam questionnaire. These sources are often in agreement, but for multiracial students, there appear to be a large number of non-matching cases. For that reason, I report the results using cases in which school administrative records match student self-reported categorizations. The main results showing little to no-gap with whites are robust using either only self-reported or only school-reported. Specifically, the average gap across domains (0.09 of a standard deviations) is equal to the average margin of error using only school-reported race, whereas there is a small gap (0.23 standard deviation units) using only student-reported race.

It is a problem because parents are much more likely to inflate or invent the minority-race components of their college-bound children for an obvious reason. I expect that the races reported by students to the NAEP are much more honest. And, in that respect the gap with whites is a quarter of a standard deviation (3.5 IQ points), which seems roughly expected from the hereditarian hypothesis given the racial breakdowns of the multiracial students per Table 2 and their respective average IQ scores.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/m...p-with-whites/

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Evolutionary Biologist
    Last Online
    Today @ 20:32

The author of the article says that he excluded Hispanics:

I limit the analysis to non-Hispanics for the simple reason that Hispanic test score data are reported separately from every other group—including multiracial children, since Hispanic is considered an ethnicity rather than a racial group.

Out of the multiracial children, almost as many were estimated as having Asian ancestry (18%) as black ancestry (23%):

The NADP data explorer (https://www.nationsreportcard.gov/ndecore/) reported these scores in mathematics in grade 12 in 2015:

Using the estimated shares of ancestry listed in the first table in this post, .45*160+.24*130+.18*170+.12*138+.03*170 would give 155.46, which is only a few points lower than the white score (160).

J Philippe Rushton found that U.S. mixed-race children with an Asian mother had an average IQ of 103 (http://philipperushton.net/wp-conten...gence-1997.pdf):

A novel piece of information available on the 100 Asian children is the race of the father. I divided the sample into a "pure" Asian group having both Asian mothers and Asian fathers (N = 63) and a "mixed" group (N = 37) of Asian mothers and other race fathers (mainly white, but including 5 blacks). At 7 years of age the unmixed Asians averaged an IQ of 114 versus one of 103 for the mixed-Asians and a cranial capacity of 1,170 cm³ versus one of 1,155 cm³ for the mixed-race group.
    Last edited by Yyy; 2019-06-19 at 14:04.