User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Chimp meat (bushmeat) is being imported into Europe and the USA.5 days old

Race Scientist
    Last Online
    Today @ 23:15

Quote Originally Posted by OldPretan View Post
    That is true for all the peoples around the Baltic, I've read that there were pockets of pagan practices lingering into the 18th and even early 19th but I've no links to hand.
    You can make that late 1800s or early 1900s in the case of Finland and Karelia.

In Finland there were still shamans (who were called "knowers" or "witches") until the early 1900s. I've listened to about 100 hours of old interviews of Finnish peasants who were mostly born in the late 1800s. In those interviews, two different people told about how a shaman was able to find missing animals using remote viewing (even though they obviously didn't call it "remote viewing"). One told about a shaman who they saw manifest some form of spirit beings. One told about how someone severed the head off a buried person and used it to perform some form of magic.

The last singer of epic poetry from White Sea Karelia, Jussi Huovinen, was born in 1924 and passed away in 2017. It was common for White Sea Karelians to have memorized days worth of epic poetry, spells, and songs until the 1900s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mari_Native_Religion:

A sociological survey conducted in 2004 found that about 15 percent of the population of Mari El consider themselves adherents of the Mari native religion. Since Mari make up just 45 percent of the republic's population of 700,000, this figure means that probably more than a third claim to follow the old religion.[4]

The percentage of pagans among the Mari of Bashkortostan and the eastern part of Tatarstan is even higher (up to 69% among women). Mari fled here from forced Christianization in the 17th to 19th centuries.[5]

Someone who traveled among Maris in the latter half of the 1900s (maybe around the 1980s) told about how Maris refused to have them record their spells, because they still believed that spells have magical power.

The Uralic domain, which basically consists of the northern parts of Northeast Europe plus Sápmi, was the region of Europe which became both agricultural and Christian last. This map depicts the spread of Christianity in Europe circa 1400:

Quote Originally Posted by Rugevit View Post
    Historians write Lithuanians are last pagans of Europe. They are not. We are. In northern Belarus. Lithuanians agree with this.
    What about Maris? Or if you don't consider Mari El part of Europe, then what about Saami? Saami were mass-christened in the 1700s, and most of them had been taught to read in Christian schools by the 1800s, but Saami still worshiped in sieidi in the 1900s.

The first translation of the Bible in Belarusian was published in 1517. The first complete translation of the Bible in Finnish was published in 1642, even though a Finnish translation of the New Testament had already been published in 1548.

Finnish peasant women are more advanced than ours in this regard. Our women would rather give a birth to a child.
    Or men will withdraw during sexual intercourse as a method of contraception.
    I guess the use of abortifacients was more or less global. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortifacient says, "The ancient Greek colony of Cyrene at one time had an economy based almost entirely on the production and export of the plant silphium, considered a powerful abortifacient."
    Last edited by Yyy; Yesterday at 19:26.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Yyy For This Useful Post:

OldPretan (Yesterday)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Infidel Snowman 2.8% Neanderthal
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 21:30
    Y-DNA
    N1c1*
    mtDNA
    H4a1
    Race
    Europid
    Phenotype
    Lappid
    Metaethnos
    Reindeer follower
    Ethnicity
    Shellfish gatherer
    Phenotype
    Boreal
    Politics
    bottom right quadrant
    Religion
    property is freedom
    England Northern Ireland Norway Sweden Finland Sami

Officially, we are Christian for a little more than 1,000 years . In reality we are not. Historians write Lithuanians are last pagans of Europe. They are not. We are. In northern Belarus. Lithuanians agree with this.
    Interesting, thanks. Are there many N1c1 folk there as in Lithuania?
    Quote Originally Posted by mary
    There was no poverty in the Soviet time. It was only in the 80's that it started to happen due to incompetent leadership. People in the Soviet Union lived better than Americans do today.

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 23:51
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Lithuania Grand Duchy

Quote Originally Posted by OldPretan View Post
    That is true for all the peoples around the Baltic, I've read that there were pockets of pagan practices lingering into the 18th and even early 19th but I've no links to hand.
    You are touching the subject I won't discuss on forums.
    We had burial pagan practices among common folks (peasants) in the 19th century.

Established Member
    Infidel Snowman 2.8% Neanderthal
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 21:30
    Y-DNA
    N1c1*
    mtDNA
    H4a1
    Race
    Europid
    Phenotype
    Lappid
    Metaethnos
    Reindeer follower
    Ethnicity
    Shellfish gatherer
    Phenotype
    Boreal
    Politics
    bottom right quadrant
    Religion
    property is freedom
    England Northern Ireland Norway Sweden Finland Sami

Quote Originally Posted by Yyy View Post
    You can make that late 1800s or early 1900s in the case of Finland and Karelia.

In Finland there were still shamans (who were called "knowers" or "witches") until the early 1900s. I've listened to about 100 hours of old interviews of Finnish peasants who were mostly born in the late 1800s. In those interviews, two different people told about how a shaman was able to find missing animals using remote viewing (even though they obviously didn't call it "remote viewing"). One told about a shaman who they saw manifest some form of spirit beings. One told about how someone severed the head off a buried person and used it to perform some form of magic.

The last singer of epic poetry from White Sea Karelia, Jussi Huovinen, was born in 1924 and passed away in 2017. It was common for White Sea Karelians to have memorized days worth of epic poetry, spells, and songs until the 1900s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mari_Native_Religion:

A sociological survey conducted in 2004 found that about 15 percent of the population of Mari El consider themselves adherents of the Mari native religion. Since Mari make up just 45 percent of the republic's population of 700,000, this figure means that probably more than a third claim to follow the old religion.[4]

The percentage of pagans among the Mari of Bashkortostan and the eastern part of Tatarstan is even higher (up to 69% among women). Mari fled here from forced Christianization in the 17th to 19th centuries.[5]

Someone who traveled among Maris in the latter half of the 1900s (maybe around the 1980s) told about how Maris refused to have them record their spells, because they still believed that spells have magical power.

The Uralic domain, which basically consists of the northern parts of Northeast Europe plus Sápmi, was the region of Europe which became both agricultural and Christian last. This map depicts the spread of Christianity in Europe circa 1400:

Thanks for this info, I'm rather happy that my unknown farfars farfar must have come from there to sire my paternal great grandfather in 1838, most men in these isles are descended from bronze age sheep shaggers, reindeer are far more classy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mary
    There was no poverty in the Soviet time. It was only in the 80's that it started to happen due to incompetent leadership. People in the Soviet Union lived better than Americans do today.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OldPretan For This Useful Post:

Yyy (Yesterday)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 23:51
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Lithuania Grand Duchy

Among Slavs Belarusians are most pagan. It doesn't mean our traditional Slavic culture is ugly. Other Slavs come to us searching for something Slavic.
    Last edited by Rugevit; Yesterday at 19:34.

Wiki Editor
    Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Male relatives J1c3
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Metaethnos
    Métis-Souriquois
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Politics
    Shawinigan Handshake
    Religion
    Atheist
    Canada Canada Acadia Canada Quebec Basque Faroe Islands Viking

Saw this interview with Trevor Noah and he says the South African dish that needs more international recognition is biltong, which, can be made of bush meat (usually kudu, springbok, wildebeest, etc.). But it can also be made with chicken, beef, lamb, or fish. I could handle most of that, except for chicken. I dunno, I wouldn't trust chicken prepared in that way. I'd be a little iffy about springbok too, because they look like deer, and I don't eat deer in Canada because they can carry that disease that eats your brain, but I guess springbok are more closer related to cows and bison than deer, so it might be safe.

The recipe is of Boer origin

Biltong as it is today evolved from the dried meat carried by the wagon-travelling Voortrekkers, who needed stocks of durable food as they migrated from the Cape Colony north and north-eastward (away from British rule) into the interior of Southern Africa during the Great Trek.
    Yeah, so biltong originated when that population was going through hard times... poverty food, which became a delicacy. This seems to happen a lot with poverty food (as lobster and oxtail were mentioned in this thread).

And yeah, I always associated bush meat with South African whites, probably because that's who introduced me to it and it's the preparation I am most familiar with. But when the dude who offered me some talked about how good it was, and talked about weird meat and how good it was (like zebra) I was just like "Yeah, I'll take your word for it!"

They don't have chimps or grass cutters in South Africa, though. However, being how harrowing the Great Trek was, it wouldn't surprised me if in desperation, they might have shot and ate a baboon or rodent or something. Which, yeah, sounds gross, but when you're staving to death, you'll eat anything.

Oh, and I love this thing on YouTube, presented by the heartburn medication Tums, where they interview people while eating hot wings. Genius advertising.

I would say Bunny Chow is the South African dish that needs more recognition, though. That stuff is so good!
    Last edited by DragonRouge; Today at 17:53.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10