User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: why do ssa people (especially aframs) have such great voices ?148 days old

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Sub-Saharan African
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Angola Mexico Angola Mexico Angola Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Daven View Post
    Her voice is only good for singing salsa/tropical. But that's not what makes her an icon. It's her legacy.

In the Tropical scene you didn't need of a soprano voice to make it. That might be only the case in Mariachi.

ps. You really need to expand your knowledge in Tropical music is you really think Marc, Olga Tañon and La India are the best "salseros" Especially Olga Tañon who has always been so payolera. Very likely that Univisión has brainwashed you LMAO.
    lol I meant best salseros voice wise, there are a few others out there but they don't have the same powerful voice as them, but then again, I haven't kept up with salsa music since I was young so I don't know anything about the newer talents

I don't really listen to Spanish music, I don't even know anything about the newer talents of mariachi, I don't keep up with all that stuff

so I am ignorant to almost every genre of Latin America
    If I do listen to Spanish music, its pretty much the old stuff
    with here and there reggaeton/latin rap, corridos/banda and other stuff

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Sub-Saharan African
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American

Quote Originally Posted by Quimbara View Post
    Wait a minute, hold up.

If you think Marc Anthony, La India, and Olga Tañon are the best salseros...

You clearly don’t know salsa music.
    show me one single salsero with their same powerful vocals? Olga Tañon has sung mariachi music in live events and she is a very good singer with the perfect voice for mariachi

La India has also sung with Mariachi and I think her new album will contain mariachi songs
    "Ahora La India tiene un nuevo reto para este 2019, grabar un disco que incluya tres géneros que le apasionan: tango, boleros y mariachi, y se encuentra trabajando con el cantante de tango Luis Prado para grabar clásicos de ese género."

Marc Anthony has the best voice in the salsa industry

One that I consider an amazing singer with a powerful voice is Anais, she is Dominican, sadly she ruined her career but she was blessed with a great voice

1:02

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Sub-Saharan African
    Ethnicity
    Mexican-American

Quote Originally Posted by Menelik View Post
    Celia Cruz and Joe Arroyo are big singers in Latin America not just Latin America but the world ,and so are many other Afro-Latino artists. Despite your opinion many people view them as such.As for the Mexican singers being great and none of them black,well of course Mexico has like 0.5% black population.
    What you are talking is very irrelevant right now, no one is discussing anything about big singers, Thalia and RBD were even bigger than all of those LOL that doesn't mean they have nice vocals and if you want to compare the stadiums they filled up in different countries then we can do that

but again, you are talking about audience here, I am not and this thread isn't about who was better known worldwide
    this is about VOICE, and the people you mentioned do not have amazing voices
    while the ones I posted DO have it

and you know that which is why you couldn't post me one single video of them singing live and out singing the people I posted including the young children LOL

And about the world comment, they were not known worldwide there are videos on YouTube of Europeans for example being asked to name Latin American figures/icons and not one named Celia Cruz

You should travel instead, just like I have done

According to Menelik, RBD are better singers than Vicente Fernandez

Celia Cruz is a forgotten soul
    even Selena quintanilla is more relevant
    another great difference between them is that Selena could sing very good, unlike Celia

Learn about music, bro, no offense but you have little knowledge of music and talent
    you are probably the same person that will claim Rihanna being a better singer than Fantasia because Rihanna is more known worldwide yet when you see her live events tragedy

vs

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2019-11-09 @ 17:21

Quote Originally Posted by Celph Titled View Post
    lol I meant best salseros voice wise, there are a few others out there but they don't have the same powerful voice as them, but then again, I haven't kept up with salsa music since I was young so I don't know anything about the newer talents

I don't really listen to Spanish music, I don't even know anything about the newer talents of mariachi, I don't keep up with all that stuff

so I am ignorant to almost every genre of Latin America
    If I do listen to Spanish music, its pretty much the old stuff
    with here and there reggaeton/latin rap, corridos/banda and other stuff
    It could also be a generational thing as people of your age were never exposed to the Golden era of Salsa. You are also Mexican and México was never the biggest market for Tropical. It was actually the hardest along with the South Cone. But even Chile was more into Tropical at some point. At least in the case of Merengue. But I see the point you are trying to make about the vocals thing now that you explained.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online

Olga is very talented but she used lots of payola at the beginning of her career. Her music label from back then was owned by Univisión and that's how she started making an impact in American market. She isn't that known in the Cone South. In the DR her music has never been in the charts . She has never been in an important music festival like Viña del or Acapulco. In México people know her because of that duet she did with Marco Antonio Solís. Her career is bigger in the USA and her natal island.

Heck, even in Univision's Premio Lo Nuestro she gets nominated without releasing new material which is something I always found ridículous. Most of the voters in those Awards are the Mexicans living in the USA (the majority of the Univision viewers). Why do you think she has won so many of those awards? Go figure.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    Today @ 15:21

It could also be a generational thing as people of your age were never exposed to the Golden era of Salsa. You are also Mexican and México was never the biggest market for Tropical. It was actually the hardest along with the South Cone. But even Chile was more into Tropical at some point. At least in the case of Merengue. But I see the point you are trying to make about the vocals thing now that you explained.
    He doesn’t know much about salsa music, which I explained and he admitted he doesn’t listen to a lot of Latin music.

Mexicans for the most part, don’t like salsa and they prefer their own music, like mariachis and ranchero music. The Mexicans where I work almost never listen to it.
    Last edited by Quimbara; 2019-06-18 at 18:28.

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:08
    E-M54
    mtDNA
    L2a1c3
    Race
    Quadracial
    Ethnicity
    ADOS
    Politics
    Pacifist
    Religion
    Sapience

It's a cultural thing among Aframs.

Afro-Latinos for example are not known for having great voices. For making great music, yes, but not really for our singing abilities. In fact the best voices in our market belong to either white Latinos or mestizos.
    I would say that it is Cultural & GENETIC.
    American Black people vocalize in ways that can't be mimicked by other nationalities, not even a lot of Continental Black Africans. Check out the piercing Soulful voice of Angie Stone (1st video), also I respectfully challenge that analysis on Afro-Latinos. Check out the voice of legendary Puerto Rican singer Tata Vega (2nd video).

Last edited by Strong Flower; 2019-06-18 at 22:34.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Race
    Biracial
    Phenotype
    Creole
    United States Trinidad Tobago Cuba Star of David

I believe the amount of pain and trauma from the past has poured into the vocal talent. It's generational talent. Almost everyone in my family including myself can sing with soul.

Some of my favorite singers

Deborah Cox(Guyanese)

Fantasia(African-American)

Brandy (African American)

Luther Vandros (African American)

Tiwa Savage(Nigerian)

Heather Headley(Trinidadian)
    Last edited by searching; 2019-06-18 at 23:23.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to searching For This Useful Post:

BlessedbyHorus (2019-06-19)

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:08
    E-M54
    mtDNA
    L2a1c3
    Race
    Quadracial
    Ethnicity
    ADOS
    Politics
    Pacifist
    Religion
    Sapience

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    ___

some more soul

Last edited by Strong Flower; 2019-06-18 at 23:49.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Quimbara View Post
    He doesn’t know much about salsa music, which I explained and he admitted he doesn’t listen to a lot of Latin music.

Mexicans for the most part, don’t like salsa and they prefer their own music, like mariachis and ranchero music. The Mexicans where I work almost never listen to it.
    Yeap. I haven't heard of Salsa making there at some point. I know Merengue and Bachata was a thing with Juan Luis Guerra in the early 90s and then again (for Merengue) with Wilfrido Vargas, Proyecto Uno and Ilegales in the mid part of the decade (Wilfrido and Proyecto were more like a one hit wonders though). Urban Bachata had some success there too recently but it didn't stick out. Also, don't forget about Cuban music back before Fidel. It was really big.

Chileans seem to not be into Salsa that much neither. In Viña del Mar Festival the majority of the Tropical artists invited have been Merengue ones. Marc Anthony is the only Salsa singer I remember and he did it very recently (2009). Celia Cruz too and again did it not that long ago (2000). Johnny Ventura, Juan Luis, Wilfrido, etc. were all invited in the 1980s when that Festival was more respected.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast