User Tag List

Thread: Does anyone else love reading?24 days old

Last Online
    2019-07-20 @ 06:14
    Default Does anyone else love reading?

If there's one thing I do a lot, it's read. It could be an online article, a book or ebook, a magazine article, etc.

It's so mentally stimulating and relaxing. Besides giving knowledge, it makes your mind active. Most things I know have come by reading, and it's definitely dramatically affected my mind. It's changed my views of the world a lot, and will undoubtedly continue to do so.

I think what I like most is... it opens your mind, and any knowledge or any idea could enter. It could give you factual information about outer space, knowledge about the ocean, or take you to a fictional world. While reading, the sky's the limit. Do it enough and you can, and likely will, come away with a different view of the world, either through new knowledge, or learning new perspectives.

The benefits to the mind are infinite. While reading, your mind is so active imagining, memorizing, learning, focusing, etc. It's like your mind doing aerobic exercise. It's one of the best things you can do. You can learn about things you never imagined, or go places you never imagined. You also have practically no stress while reading, since your mind is concentrated on something else. You have a peaceful, almost meditative feeling.

Does anyone else love reading?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Molecular Biologist DracoSentien's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 22:43
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    Queen Victoria's H
    Race
    Caucasian
    Metaethnos
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    pantheist
    United States United Kingdom Scotland Canada Weed Flag New Zealand Australia

Quote Originally Posted by x93t View Post
    If there's one thing I do a lot, it's read. It could be an online article, a book or ebook, a magazine article, etc.

It's so mentally stimulating and relaxing. Besides giving knowledge, it makes your mind active. Most things I know have come by reading, and it's definitely dramatically affected my mind. It's changed my views of the world a lot, and will undoubtedly continue to do so.

I think what I like most is... it opens your mind, and any knowledge or any idea could enter. It could give you factual information about outer space, knowledge about the ocean, or take you to a fictional world. While reading, the sky's the limit. Do it enough and you can, and likely will, come away with a different view of the world, either through new knowledge, or learning new perspectives.

The benefits to the mind are infinite. While reading, your mind is so active imagining, memorizing, learning, focusing, etc. It's like your mind doing aerobic exercise. It's one of the best things you can do. You can learn about things you never imagined, or go places you never imagined. You also have practically no stress while reading, since your mind is concentrated on something else. You have a peaceful, almost meditative feeling.

Does anyone else love reading?
    I love reading and currently have 46 books on my Barnes and Noble Nook Glowlight 3 eReader. I think there is some feeling, nowadays, that you don't need books because there is netflix , youtube, online articles, podcasts etc... but this is wrong. For online articles it is wrong because it trains your brain to read at short intervals which makes reading longer books hard. For the rest it is because doing so is not active like reading a book rather it is like inserting an opinion in your brain, like a cassette tape, and repeating it like a parrot.

You missed the most important part of the mind being active, while reading, it's called asking questions. To read above the elementary level you should at least ask at least four questions of the book, you are reading, but I will mention five :

What is the book about, as a whole? This is essentially the back cover blurb. Don’t cheat, though. Come up, in your own words, with a few sentences or even a paragraph that describes what the book is about. This can actually be surface level; you don’t have to dig too deep. For instance, boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, boy makes stupid mistake and distances himself from girl, boy redeems himself and gets the girl.

What is being said in detail, and how? This is where you start to dig a little deeper. When you’re done with that first reading of the book, Adler recommends writing an outline of the book yourself so you get a feel for its organization and overall tenor. Briefly go back and page through the book, jogging your memory of the key points. With non-fiction, outlining is pretty straightforward. With fiction, you could do it by chapter or by setting/scene. By chapter you would simply list the chapter numbers/names and a couple sentences of what it’s about. For books with very short chapters, it could even just be a few words. For setting/scene, you just follow the characters around and say what happened of significance there. I just finished The Sun Also Rises, which could be segmented into its various settings: Paris, the fishing trip, Pamplona, and post-Pamplona where the characters go their separate ways.

Is the book true, in whole or in part? These last two questions are where we get to the meat of reading. As before, for non-fiction, this is a relatively easy (or at least easier) question to answer. Is what the author said true? Are the facts they presented true? With fiction, it’s more about asking if what was written is true to the general human experience, or even to your own experience. In The Great Gatsby, is that feeling of loss and the futileness of great wealth true to the human experience? I would certainly say so. This is partly what turns great books into classics. They ultimately speak to the most basic truths of humanity in story form.

What of it? What’s the significance? If the book is indeed saying something true about the human experience, or about manliness, what’s the takeaway? If something strikes a chord with you, and you do nothing with it, it becomes at least partially wasted. There is something to be said about literature that stands on its own merits of simply being great literature, like art, but I’ve learned there is almost always a takeaway. Or at least a way in which you may think differently about the world. My understanding of life in America during the Dust Bowl was greatly increased after reading The Grapes of Wrath. There wasn’t necessarily something I would do in reaction to it, but my appreciation for farmers and farming families of that time period certainly grew. That’s definitely a valuable takeaway.

Sixth, critique and share your thoughts with others.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/artic...o-read-a-book/

I am a Libertarian and people cannot be free if they are ignorant, and the more knowledgeable a person is, the more likely he is to be free -- or to be able to free himself. But because the information available to people is overwhelming in volume, it is necessary to develop good criteria for selecting the information you imbibe. Here are some helpful rules:

(1) Prefer books to periodicals. Books are far more likely to have enduring value; periodicals are, by their very nature, transitory in worth.

(2) If you like something an author writes, read more of his stuff. An author whom you find interesting is more likely to have written other material that will please you than an author you have no knowledge of.

(3) Modern books are usually better than older ones. This is partly because modern books benefit from more up-to-date knowledge (though they don't always), and partly because the publishing business is now very competitive, unlike in earlier days, years, or centuries; and competition means the best will generally rise to the top (ie, get published). A great many older books ('classics') are much overpraised, but it took me a long time to figure out that it was the books which were lousy, and not my taste.

(4) Don't waste your time reading lousy stuff, even if it is supposed to be 'important'. If it's lousy, chances are it's not important at all, at least for your purposes.

P.S. I don't post here anymore because it is clear like 99% of people here don't read books. EliasAlucard used to then he fried his brain with marijuana ,yet, he still delusionally thinks he is an intellectual :

Last edited by DracoSentien; 2019-06-29 at 15:23.
    "I am inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa” because “all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours, whereas all the testing says, not really.” -- James Watson (founding father of modern genetics).

"Give me a lever long enough to stand on I can lift the world"--Archimedes (if you don't understand the not literal meaning of that comment then you are innumerate most likely)

Last Online
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    Queen Victoria's H
    Race
    Caucasian
    Metaethnos
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    pantheist

*bump*

You can download youtube songs with youtube-dl and convert them to flac or mp3 or whatnot with ffpmeg so you have intellectual background music for reading you can use bluetooth with it to really set it up nice. So since this is not one song you would get a long continuous stream of intellectual music for reading using those linux tools. Of course you could just stream it from youtube itself but that is not as smart if you will be using it often :

"I am inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa” because “all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours, whereas all the testing says, not really.” -- James Watson (founding father of modern genetics).

"Give me a lever long enough to stand on I can lift the world"--Archimedes (if you don't understand the not literal meaning of that comment then you are innumerate most likely)

Last Online
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    Queen Victoria's H
    Race
    Caucasian
    Metaethnos
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    pantheist

Established Member
    Junior Member But Cool
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:25
    Y-DNA
    E-U174/P252
    mtDNA
    U6a3f
    Race
    Sub-Saharan African
    Metaethnos
    Akan/Bakongo/Igbo
    Ethnicity
    Jamaican
    Phenotype
    West African looking
    Politics
    Monarchy over Republic
    Religion
    Nunya
    England Jamaica Skull and crossbones

I like reading books.

I'm currently reading a Science Fantasy novel and a Non-Fiction book about bushcraft. I only read non-fiction that can physically benefit my life or is historical and geographical. A lot of books non-fiction on philosophy etc are of no use to me.

Last Online
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z253 >Z6749.1
    mtDNA
    Queen Victoria's H
    Race
    Caucasian
    Metaethnos
    Anglo
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Phenotype
    Atlantid
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    pantheist

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Hand View Post
    I like reading books.

I'm currently reading a Science Fantasy novel and a Non-Fiction book about bushcraft. I only read non-fiction that can physically benefit my life or is historical and geographical. A lot of books non-fiction on philosophy etc are of no use to me.
    Cool, I used to read philosophy : mostly Schopenhauer an Wittgenstein. However, nowadays science and philosophy are not written for the common man they use special nomenclature to speed up communication with those already inducted into their specialty. Right now I read mathematics and computer programming books, mostly.