User Tag List

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30

Thread: How would Ali Abdelaziz fit into ancient Egypt?9 days old

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by Yyy View Post
    The Wikipedia article titled Aethiopia says that Strabo (born 1st century BC also used the word "Ethiopian" to refer to South Asians:

With regard to the Ethiopians, Strabo indicates that they looked similar to Indians, remarking "those who are in Asia (South India), and those who are in Africa, do not differ from each other."

The same Wikipedia article also says that Eusebius (born 3rd century AD) thought that Ethiopians had migrated to the Red Sea area from the Indus Valley, but I don't know if he confused the two different kinds of Ethiopians:

Following Strabo, the Greco-Roman historian Eusebius notes that the Ethiopians had emigrated into the Red Sea area from the Indus Valley and that there were no people in the region by that name prior to their arrival.
    Well bravo for them.

Here are some other Hellenistic writers using the term Ethiopian.

Diodorus Book III

2 1 Now the Ethiopians, as historians relate, were the first of all men and the proofs of this statement, they say, are manifest. For that they did not come into their land as immigrants from abroad but were p91 natives of it and so justly bear the name of "autochthones"1 is, they maintain, conceded by practically all men; furthermore, that those who dwell beneath the noon-day sun were, in all likelihood, the first to be generated by the earth, is clear to all; since, inasmuch as it was the warmth of the sun which, at the generation of the universe, dried up the earth when it was still wet and impregnated it with life,2 it is reasonable to suppose that the region which was nearest the sun was the first to bring forth living creatures. 2 And they say that they were the first to be taught to honour the gods and to hold sacrifices and processions and festivals and the other rites by which men honour the deity; and that in consequence their piety has been published abroad among all men, and it is generally held that the sacrifices practised among the Ethiopians are those which are the most pleasing to heaven. 3 As witness to this they call upon the poet who is perhaps the oldest and certainly the most venerated among the Greeks; for in the Iliad3 he represents both Zeus and the rest of the gods with him as absent on a visit to Ethiopia to share in the sacrifices and the banquet which were given annually by the Ethiopians for all the gods together:
    The Greeks called Indians of the Sub Continent Yonas or “Yavanas” .So yes I may of been wrong saying post Herodotus Greek writers were using the term Ethiopian for Indian, but trust me when I see this term was used rarely , Strabo and Eusibus must of been reading a lot of from Herodotus .lol

Now look at what Diodorus Siculus says clearly about Ethiopians,there were great many tribes of them. And varied. So the term was used loosely but its agreed it was mainly used for Africans.
    The Ethiopians that are in Arabia in this passage must be the Soctora.
    8 1 But there are also a great many other tribes of the Ethiopians, some of them dwelling in the land lying on both banks of the Nile and on the islands in p105 the river, others inhabiting the neighbouring country of Arabia,12 and still others residing in the interior of Libya. 2 The majority of them, and especially those who dwell along the river, are black in colour and have flat noses and woolly hair. As for their spirit they are entirely savage and display the nature of a wild beast, not so much, however, in their temper as in their ways of living; for they are squalid all over their bodies, they keep their nails very long like the wild beasts, and are as far removed as possible from human kindness to one another; 3 and speaking as they do with a shrill voice and cultivating none of the practices of civilized life as these are found among the rest of mankind, they present a striking contrast when considered in the light of our own customs.

Pliny describes the country of Ethiopia from the Upper Egypt stretching along the Red Sea to maybe modern day Kenya.So yea they had knowledge of it.

M. Agrippa was of opinion that the length34 of the whole country of the Æthiopians, including the Red Sea, was two thousand one hundred and seventy miles, and its breadth, including Upper Egypt, twelve hundred and ninety-seven. Some authors again have made the following divisions of its length; from Meroë to Sirbitum eleven days' sail, from Sirbitum to the Dabelli fifteen days', and from them to the Æthiopian Ocean six days' journey.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:17

Quote Originally Posted by Menelik View Post
    You just got advice on the story of the Illiad last week and didn't even know who authored the history of the Dorians.Who are you to say what Greeks had knowledge of bro
    You claimed that the Dorians were a major factor in Greek civilization. I asked you to post a source (meaning, the exact passage) and you kept saying "read the Iliad". It seemed like you were playing childish games, so I just moved on.

Yes Greeks historians back then did believe the Nile flowed East To West, doesnt mean they weren't aware of the inhabitants there, get the fuck out of here.Its a big difference in knowledge being inaccurate and completely lacking knowledge of something.
    I don't know what Greeks in general believed about the source of the Nile. If you say there was a consensus that the Nile flowed from west to east, that is your belief, not mine. I only referenced Herodotus to argue that his knowledge south of Nubia was fuzzy. The most southern people he talks about are a semi-mythical people, and they weren't Abyssinians.

This dude comes across little info and runs with it, no one used the term Cush Erythraean for Horners bro.And Cushite was a more direct term for Nubians,shows how much you know.
    Horners never appropriated the term Ethiopian, since many Horners like Afars, Somalis Afaan ,Borana,Tigryans have a bit of problem with the Ethiopian identity itself.
    There is a country in the Horn named Eritrea and another country named Ethiopia. And you have definitely taken up the Cushitic identify in terms of language and other things. Everyone can see by the amount of confusion (e.g. in this thread, commentary on ancient documents, and so on) that Sudanese have to compete with the Horn for recognition of their own history. So who is responsible for this confusion, if not Horners? It's just Greenberg's fault?

That name was given by Greeks.But get it straight bro, only a few times was the word Ethiopian used to refer to Sub Continental Indians.Herodotus came very early on and is called the Father of History, the Greek historians after Herodotus used the term for people in African period.
    Yeah? But how many times was it used for Horners?

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:30
    T-M184
    mtDNA
    R0a2
    Ethnicity
    Dir/Bedouin
    Ethiopia Djibouti Oman Sudan

This american gorilla is obsessed with Horners

Only people who appropriated these GREEK terms are the Habeshas.Majority of Horners identify with their ethnic groups and clans.These Cushitic,Hamitic and Caucasoid terms were given to us by Europeans.Hop off our nuts faggot!

Also I highly doubt the ancient Sudanese whether Beja,nilotic negroes or the psuedo-Horner looking Nubians used Greek names to label themselves

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:17

Nah. Just setting the record straight on the first recorded hoteps of the African continent. From the Beta Israelites (who think they descend from Hebrews), to appropriators of the prestige of the Aethiopians.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NonFingo For This Useful Post:

beyoku (Today), BlessedbyHorus (Today)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @

Quote Originally Posted by NonFingo View Post
    You claimed that the Dorians were a major factor in Greek civilization. I asked you to post a source (meaning, the exact passage) and you kept saying "read the Iliad". It seemed like you were playing childish games, so I just moved on.
    The Dorians were a factor in Greek civilization. And they were one of the 4 major Greek tribes. You really weren't aware of how the Dorians came to Greece and weren't aware of the tribes in Greece that were progenitors .

Let me take a wiki article to asset what I said .

The Dorians (/ˈdɔːriənz/; Greek: Δωριεῖς, Dōrieis, singular Δωριεύς, Dōrieus) were one of the four major ethnic groups among which the Hellenes (or Greeks) of Classical Greece considered themselves divided (along with the Aeolians, Achaeans, and Ionians).[2] They are almost always referred to as just "the Dorians", as they are called in the earliest literary mention of them in the Odyssey,[3] where they already can be found inhabiting the island of Crete.

I don't know what Greeks in general believed about the source of the Nile. If you say there was a consensus that the Nile flowed from west to east, that is your belief, not mine. I only referenced Herodotus to argue that his knowledge south of Nubia was fuzzy. The most southern people he talks about are a semi-mythical people, and they weren't Abyssinians.

Bro are you blind or something?Look at the map, you clearly see from the 2 maps posted the Greeks believed Nile river ran from East and West.

Look at where they believed the Nile river ends, they believed it ended at Atlas which would be NorthWest Africa today.

There is a country in the Horn named Eritrea and another country named Ethiopia. And you have definitely taken up the Cushitic identify in terms of language and other things. Everyone can see by the amount of confusion (e.g. in this thread, commentary on ancient documents, and so on) that Sudanese have to compete with the Horn for recognition of their own history. So who is responsible for this confusion, if not Horners? It's just Greenberg's fault?
    I already said this numerous times that when the Ethiopian term was used by Greeks it most likely meant the Nubians since that was what ancient Greeks ,Persians,Sabeans, Romans ,Libyans ,etc where in contact with. But at the same time the term Ethiopian in ancient sources definitely was used to refer to some Horner groups as well since that is the group of Africans below the Sahara that Greeks would of encountered the most , that being after Cushites of course.

And the fuck are you to say Sudanese have to compete for the term as if you are spokesperson for them?Really No one is trying to steal any identity, the confusion comes from the Greeks and their lack of knowledge interaction with Africa.If the sources written by the Greeks the confusion comes from them on how to properly categorize someone.

We went over this many times Ethiopian meant burnt skin but the thing is Greeks were only in contact with

Yeah? But how many times was it used for Horners?
    Alot of times, as I said after Cushites(modern day Sudanese) Greeks were in contact with Horners the most for when it comes to people in Africa below the Sahara.

But as YYY pointed out the term Macrobian was a term Greeks would of related to the Horners .But the term Libyan and Ethiopian was a general term for African in general by the Greeks. Are you going to say Libyans have to compete for the term since it was inappropriately used by ancient Greek scribes.

Nah. Just setting the record straight on the first recorded hoteps of the African continent. From the Beta Israelites (who think they descend from Hebrews), to appropriators of the prestige of the Aethiopians.
    You're kidding right, Beta Israel already had a right of return to Israel. Most of which are actually Israeli citizens nd And the state of Israel actually evacuated them from Sudan in the 80s, they are not stealing anything.

The only people trying to jack an identity is your Hebrew Israelite brethren who dress up like black vikings and read something from some old worn out Bible.

And many people on the African continent are not claiming descent from Jews or Hebrews as you are implying,thats mostly an Afram thing.

There are countless videos of Aframs wanting to be Jews.

@1:19 you guys are being banned from grounds because your dumb ass doesn't know how to act right.Haha

Established Member
    Descendant of Askia Mohammad I BlessedbyHorus's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 14:33
    Ethnicity
    Nigger/Abeed
    Politics
    Trouble Maker Negro
    Religion
    Agnostic
    United States Haiti Dominican Republic

@NonFingo is not even American or African-American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason1234 View Post
    Worth noting that all of the above claimed to have been founded by foreigners from north africa or the middle east.
    Quote Originally Posted by NassBean View Post
    Actually I'm surprised because I've just verified and even the wiki articles show that you're right ...I feel bad for these aframs.
    We WUZ WEST AFRICANS and SHIET!!

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30