User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are people from Djibouti Somali?3411 days old

Banned
    Molecular Biologist slick willy's Avatar
    Last Online
    2014-07-24 @ 09:26

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjub_Saraswati View Post
    Good question that needs to be adressed. If you want to know then the truth is this, you guys from djibouti that speak Somali are in reality just Afars that got Somalilized, your ancestors spoke Afar language(s) before the more superior Somalis entered the scene and assimilated them like we did with the rest of ethnicities on the whole Somali peninsula.
    About a thousand years ago the Somali lowland was like Nigeria or Ethiopia with hundreds of languages and ethnicities, however the Samaal people (very few) conquered everything and everyone at it's path and transformed therm into Somalis.
    The North-eastern Somalia is the homeland of the original Somalis, the rest are just assimilated pseudo-Somalis, including your Djiboutian non-Afar Somali population. Hope i answered your question.
    This is not true man, come on...Afars and Issas are really distinguishable, for one, Afars are all scrawny (yes even by horner standards) and really small, while Issas are like the Ogaden and Isaaq, just darker because of the full blast of below sea level heat.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to slick willy For This Useful Post:

ahniyvwiya (2010-05-23)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    2018-08-04 @ 23:35
    E1b1b1
    Metaethnos
    habesha/italian
    Eritrea Ethiopia Italy United States

Quote Originally Posted by slick willy View Post
    What??? Afars are no less than a 1/3 of Djibouti...

Djibouti is more or less Issa, with a few Isaaqs
    afar is also the only other really major ethnic group in dijbouti after somalis. and since the man is questioning what dijboutians are and since he does not think of himself as somali then the only other ethnicity that comprises a sizeable majority is the afars.. thats why I said he was probably afar

Last Online
    2011-05-19 @ 23:34
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Canada Djibouti Somalia

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac1 View Post
    Are you really from Djibouti? If you are then you desperately need daqaan celis. When I read the title of this thread, I seriously thought that it was written by someone who doesn’t know a lot about the horn and wants to learn that tad bit more. I really don’t know if it’s just a case of you not being able to express your self properly or if it’s a genuine mistake but in the title you seem to be asking if people from Djibouti are Somalis, when you go on further though you seem to be talking about how you are a Somali but not a typical looking Somali .

People from Djibouti are mostly Somalis & Afars. If both your parents are as you say issas (Mamaasan come under issas) then you are a Somali but then again your whole post makes me wary and suspicious about what you claim to be. To start off, what kind of a person knows his mom’s and dad’s Somali clan name but doesn’t know if he is Somali. Looking South Asian is not in any way weird or untypical for Somalis, if it were then roughly ¼ of the Somali population would look untypical. Concerning Djiboutians, I’d say that most Djiboutians look like typical Somalis, maybe a bit darker than average but that wouldn’t be surprising since Djibouti is literally hell on earth(not exaggerating). Last time I went there which was about two years ago, I was barely able to bear how fucking hot that place was.

Well thanks for doubting me, lol. I don't really know what I would achieve by lying about this. Anyways, I grew up in a small and virtually white city so I wasn't exactly surrounded by Somalis until we moved into a bigger city this year. I never really thought about my race even though I was one of the only black people in my school but after moving I started to get more curious.

I've never formally asked my parents about this because they rarely bring it up (don't know why) and I think it's awkward to ask them (don't ask me why). I know what clan my parents are from because I've heard them talking about it before. I have about one picture of my grandfather which I can barley make out and a few traditional souvenirs that's about it.

I know I'm Somali I never said I wasn't. I was thinking maybe there's more to it since all my Somali friends I've made look the part except myself. I mean how reliable is word of mouth with no family tree records. Basically, I came here to find more about my parents linage not be accused of being an impostor.

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:22
    T-M184
    mtDNA
    R0a2
    Ethnicity
    Dir/Bedouin
    Ethiopia Djibouti Oman Sudan

It is a Somali country with the Issa clan being the majority and the Habar Awal of Somaliland being the second largest clan of Djibouti.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Meygaag For This Useful Post:

montgomerypicking (2019-05-04)

Last Online
    2019-05-03 @ 23:15
    Race
    Sub-Saharan African
    Metaethnos
    Cushite
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Religion
    Islam
    Somaliland

Quote Originally Posted by Meygaag View Post
    It is a Somali country with the Issa clan being the majority and the Habar Awal of Somaliland being the second largest clan of Djibouti.
    Yeah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2