Phenotype
    Saddam Husseinic
    Politics
    Humanistic
    Religion
    Free market genetics
    Chile Chile Mapuche Spain traditional Amazigh Hispanidad

Quote Originally Posted by toomash View Post
    According a British expedition around 1820s, the Asantehene was advised by "Moors" In later pictures these "Moors" just looked like Africans in turbans. Also the word for money in Ashanti is "sika" the same word in Arabic for 'gold mint'. Curiously, with all this interaction with Muslims, Ashantis have never been Muslim...but now we're all Christian. ...
    We shouldn't downplay the importance of the Arab and Muslim in the subsaharan kingdoms bordering the Sahara. The fact is that even in the Mali library all the books were written in Arab, just like anywhere in the Muslim world. Ghana was part of the network of Muslim Kingdoms, if not by religion, at least by commerce. And it was the moors (Berbers and Arabs) who opened the trade, and brough cultural elements such as the Kora.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pinguin For This Useful Post:

voyager (2010-04-06)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    2012-02-21 @ 02:55

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjub_Saraswati View Post
    Why did the country Ghana adopt a name of a medevil islamic northwestern saharan empire? I could understand Senegal/Gambia even Nigeria since they are Muslims but not modern Ghana who were never muslims and/or connected to real Ghana like senegal ever was.
    The first president probably saw the same connections I just wrote about. Also, Ghana was not an Islamic Empire. Mali was Islamic. Ghana was heavily influenced by Islam, but Ghana's king and people were not themselves.

Established Member
    Last Online
    2013-09-04 @ 01:50
    Igbo
    Ethnicity
    West African
    African Union(OAS) Nigeria

There's a sizable Muslim population in Northern Ghana.

I think the chosen name had much to do with Ghana being the first SSA nation to gain independence. I guess they found parallels between that the greatness of the Ghana Empire. I might be wrong though.

Established Member
    Infidel Snowman 2.8% Neanderthal
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 21:51
    Y-DNA
    N1c1*
    mtDNA
    H4a1
    Race
    Europid
    Phenotype
    Lappid
    Metaethnos
    Reindeer follower
    Ethnicity
    Shellfish gatherer
    Phenotype
    Boreal
    Politics
    bottom right quadrant
    Religion
    property is freedom
    England Northern Ireland Norway Sweden Finland Sami

Quote Originally Posted by Altay View Post
    Interesting. Does anyone know other examples of that rule?
    The Picts - Iron age North Britons.
    http://halfmoon.tripod.com/macalpin.html
    Five years later, the Picts still faced the northern threat of the nearly invincible Vikings. The Picts had suffered a disastrous defeat at the hands of the Vikings in 839 AD. The Norsemen had by that year conquered and settled Shetland, the Outer Hebrides and as far south as the mouth of the Clyde. Additionally, Caithness, Sutherland and even Dalriada were being attacked and harassed by the long boats. The brutalizing defeat at the hands of the Vikings in 839 not only killed most of the Pictish nobility, including the King of Picts and Scots Uven Mac Angus II, his brother Bran and "numberless others", but also opened Mac Alpin's claim to the vacant Pictish throne, via his mother, who was a Pictish princess.

Recalling the peculiarity of a matrilineal succession which governed Pictish crowns, it is evident that Kenneth Mac Alpin (the Hardy) grounded his claims to the Pictish crown from his mother's bloodlines
    . His claim to the crown of Dalriada came from his father, who was a member of clan Gabhran, which had produced most Scottish kings, such as his ancestors King Eachaidh, King Alpin Mac Eachaidh, King Aed and King Fergus. His Pictish mother was descended from the royal house of Fortrenn, and his great-grand uncle, Alpin Mac Eachaidh had actually reigned as King of Picts until deposed by Oengus I. It is thus that Kenneth Mac Alpin was one of several nobles with a claim to the crown of Picts and Scots.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldPretan For This Useful Post:

Altay (2010-03-03), CAONABO (2010-03-03), toomash (2010-03-03)

Banned
    Last Online
    2012-02-11 @ 19:01

Quote Originally Posted by pinguin View Post
    We shouldn't downplay the importance of the Arab and Muslim in the subsaharan kingdoms bordering the Sahara. The fact is that even in the Mali library all the books were written in Arab, just like anywhere in the Muslim world. Ghana was part of the network of Muslim Kingdoms, if not by religion, at least by commerce. And it was the moors (Berbers and Arabs) who opened the trade, and brough cultural elements such as the Kora.
    Incorrect. The manuscripts of the Mali Empire were written in Arabic, Songhay, Fulbe and tamasheq languages. As has been stated before, the primary influence Muslims had on the Mali Empire was religion, many other aspects philosophy, politics, sociology ect remained very African in nature. However the manuscripts are not limited to these areas. It also should be noted that manuscripts are also found in the area Ghana, which are older than the ones in Mali. Currently there in a period of being translated. Once this process is over it will give great detail of West African history, biography, legends ect.

Established Member
    Junior Member But Cool
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 14:55
    Y-DNA
    E-U174/P252
    mtDNA
    U6a3f
    Race
    Sub-Saharan African
    Metaethnos
    Akan/Bakongo/Igbo
    Ethnicity
    Jamaican
    Phenotype
    West African looking
    Politics
    Monarchy over Republic
    Religion
    Nunya
    England Jamaica Skull and crossbones

Sanjub_Saraswati said:
    Why did the country Ghana adopt a name of a medevil islamic northwestern saharan empire? I could understand Senegal/Gambia even Nigeria since they are Muslims but not modern Ghana who were never muslims and/or connected to real Ghana like senegal ever was.
    Most Ghanaians are ethnically Akan. The Akan migrated from the sahel to modern day Ghana and the Ivory Coast around the 11th century (around the same time as the fall of the Ghana Empire.) Coincidence, maybe. Also oral traditions of Akan say that they used to be called the Wangara. They used to be traders in the Ghana Empire. Also a lot of Ghanaians (especially the Akan) look like they could quite easily fit into the Senegambian and Malian region. So I think that a lot of Modern Ghanaians are descended from the people of the old Ghana Empire.

Last Online
    2017-11-29 @ 03:43

[Hey, I noticed you've done an amazing paragraph about Ancient Ghana and I'm doing a presentation and I need to know more about the cultural aspect of ancient Ghana. If you could please help me with this information I would greatly appreciate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2